2015 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple things on macros: should I even be concerned with them where I'm at in my health goal? I mean, going from 295 to 275, are macros that important or just staying under calories will get me there? B) I don't trust the nutrition facts I'm seeing on MFP, so it is hard to track my macros. There was a sandwich from Jersey mikes that includes mayo, but I didn't eat the mayo, and on MFP the calories were adjusted but not the fat, so I was way over my fat goal.

Reducing calories and drastically altering the health of the food you take in, you will lose that 20 lbs in like 2-3 weeks.

Reducing calories and drastically altering the health of the food you take in, you will lose that 20 lbs in like 2-3 weeks.
I've dropped down to between 1500-1900 calories a day, and not adjusting for calories burned working out, is that a good range to be in and do I need to worry about what makes up those calories, or is a calorie a calorie?

Couple things on macros: should I even be concerned with them where I'm at in my health goal? I mean, going from 295 to 275, are macros that important or just staying under calories will get me there? B) I don't trust the nutrition facts I'm seeing on MFP, so it is hard to track my macros. There was a sandwich from Jersey mikes that includes mayo, but I didn't eat the mayo, and on MFP the calories were adjusted but not the fat, so I was way over my fat goal.

I say yes. Calories is only one factor. There is protein, carbs, fat and fiber. Checkout the calculator http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

You have to remember mfp won't have every option possible. If you eat the same things enter it on your own and save it under your account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, not all fat is bad fat.

This is obviously just speaking for me, and we're all different - being somewhat close (I don't obsess over hitting my numbers exactly) on the macro count is essential for me in eating the right number of calories and not being starving. Proteins and good fats (nuts, olive oil, etc.) are going to keep you full a lot longer than simple starches at the same calorie count.

I would not worry about Macros. Find the calories needed to maintain your target weight (make sure you allow for calories burned with exercise) and then try get a 40/30/30 split in those calories.
And make sure you spread your eating through out the entire day.
This is the best way to lose weight, stay healthy and not worry about a crash and rebound effect.

If you don't eat enough protein, you can't replace fat with muscle. Your muscles feed off protein. Healthy fat keeps you full so you don't over eat. Slow carbs help you sustain energy throughout your day. Macros are important. I don't measure exacts, but I try to have balance in my meals.

PS. Don't forget some veggies!

Last edited:
I found myself out of the office for lunch today and realized I had to do fast food. Picking good choices is a struggle so I went with 3 crunchy tacos at Taco Bell at 4 points each.

3 days without soda, and have ever been feeling terrible. Headache and other issues, so I caved today and had one. I figure 1 soda every 3 or 4 days is better than 4 or 5 a day.

Still eating healthier, trying to make sustainable changes. Down maybe a pound, which isn't earth shattering, but the scale has been showing in the 180's for the first time in a long long time.

I would not worry about Macros. Find the calories needed to maintain your target weight (make sure you allow for calories burned with exercise) and then try get a 40/30/30 split in those calories.
And make sure you spread your eating through out the entire day.
This is the best way to lose weight, stay healthy and not worry about a crash and rebound effect.

If I'm not taking my calories burned during my workout into account and still not feeling hungry during the day, is that a bad thing? I figured if I can operate with fewer net calories that would help me lose weight faster, or is there a downside to too few of calories?

2015 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

It's really interesting walking through Costco after resetting my diet. So much looks unappealing.

If I'm not taking my calories burned during my workout into account and still not feeling hungry during the day, is that a bad thing? I figured if I can operate with fewer net calories that would help me lose weight faster, or is there a downside to too few of calories?

Too few calories, and you body goes into starvation mode/ fat storing mode. Your body thinks you're starving and stops burning calories and stores them so you don't starve to death. That's when you go a few hundred calories low, for an more than a day or 2. Be patient. It didn't take you a month to get overweight and it usually takes a while to lose it properly.

i wouldn't worry about not taking account your workout, unless you're burning 1000 plus calories. A healthy snack like a piece of fruit or some nuts is not a bad idea for after to help refuel your body.

It's really interesting walking through Costco after resetting my diet. So much looks unappealing.

i go down 3 or four isles at the supermarket usually. Produce, meat, spices, dairy/eggs. The rest is usually pretty bad for you. Did you noticed all the junk in the middle isles and on the ends? High profit and processed.

i go down 3 or four isles at the supermarket usually. Produce, meat, spices, dairy/eggs. The rest is usually pretty bad for you. Did you noticed all the junk in the middle isles and on the ends? High profit and processed.

Costco is not terrible with that stuff generally they have a lot of organic options but even stuff that we previously Got I looked at the ingredients on the back and set it back saying no way

3 days without soda, and have ever been feeling terrible. Headache and other issues, so I caved today and had one. I figure 1 soda every 3 or 4 days is better than 4 or 5 a day.

Still eating healthier, trying to make sustainable changes. Down maybe a pound, which isn't earth shattering, but the scale has been showing in the 180's for the first time in a long long time.

I started the same thing on Sunday. I made it a day and a half and realized for me right now, no soda is just amazingly hard. I cut back from about 1 liter per day of diet down to one 12 ounce drink at lunch per day. So far so good. I have done that Monday through today. I figure if I can make that my new normal, stepping down to one or two a week or even further will be possible.

Cold turkey is so hard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Add me to the list of people looking to lose some weight. Jumped on the scale recently and saw the highest weight I have ever been and I feel it and I'm sure it shows. I have a little more of a challenge as I'm on an acid blocker medication and they are known to cause weight gain and make losing it tougher. If I can lose 30 pounds before the next golf season (May here) I will be super happy to start with. Congrats to all those who are succeeding in this goal.

There's nothing as inspiring as looking at the mirror in the morning and physically seeing that you are on the right path.

Today is a good day.

There's nothing as inspiring as looking at the mirror in the morning and physically seeing that you are on the right path.

Today is a good day.
Results are the ultimate motivator!

Down 2 lbs since Sunday. Shooting for 3 lbs a week, so feeling pretty good about the progress. Going to be active this weekend so need to make sure I don't overeat to compensate.

Down 2 lbs since Sunday. Shooting for 3 lbs a week, so feeling pretty good about the progress. Going to be active this weekend so need to make sure I don't overeat to compensate.

Congratulations! Two lbs down is great and in the right direction, even if it wasn't your goal of 3 lbs.

Add me to the list of people looking to lose some weight. Jumped on the scale recently and saw the highest weight I have ever been and I feel it and I'm sure it shows. I have a little more of a challenge as I'm on an acid blocker medication and they are known to cause weight gain and make losing it tougher. If I can lose 30 pounds before the next golf season (May here) I will be super happy to start with. Congrats to all those who are succeeding in this goal.
Get into the exercise thread as well as this thread and we can beat you into shape. :D

Weighed in the morning. Down 5.1 pounds since my first weigh in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back