Your Last Round: What Went Wrong

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We talk about our best shots, our score and what we are working on. I thought it would be fun to listen and help those that had certain things go wrong.

I had a great round today. Shot 82, but had 5 holes that I did not hit my second shot well. I think I could have broken 80 for the second time if I had played those 5 holes better. i think I was having a lot of fun and lost consentration for a few holes.

30 degree temperatures. I was layered up too much to be able to play good golf.

Could not make a putt outside of 5 feet today. Made 2 birdies but have several other good looks that I failed to convert. The greens were rolling differently than they had previously as they were overseeded with winter rye this week and had a lot of fertilizer on them. Did not get overly upset about the missed putts for that reason.

Putting - let me down - missed some really easy ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Confidence. For some reason...when a new person plays with our group, I analyze everything I'm doing midswing. Didn't go well. It's ridiculous, I know.

Snow
A couple poor shots from fairway bunkers
Par 3 scoring was not good

Just super rusty right now. Haven’t played a full 18 holes in 8+ weeks bc of a back injury. Hit a few pars at the nine hole course today, but not enough quality shots at all

On two separate par 5s I was just off the green in two, but in the rough. I duffed both pitches like an absolute champion then followed those up with chips that were equally poor. 4 strokes out the window just like that.

I put some irons in the bag that I hadn't played in 7 months, took me about 3-4 holes to get used to them again.

Last edited:
The last round was just 35 degree windchill and windy as heck.

The round prior to that I had an excellent front nine followed by a sub par back nine.

My struggles were off the tee with my 3 wood which is usually a pretty reliable club for me. The wind had also picked up on the back so I know that didn’t help.

What I’ve really been working on is good forward shaft lean at impact to help lower my ball flight and reduce spin. Pic below to show some improvements. I know I need some more hip turn but we’ll take small victories.

3627772100f5f091625b3b3c8d2af030.jpg

I had my swing disappear for 3-4 holes in the middle of a round where had I been playing like I did at the start we would have had a chance to win the tournament. Just making garbage contact. Got too stiff, focused too much on turning my body/weight shift and not letting my wrists break naturally.

Couldn't putt worth a lick! Absolutely nothing worked. Couldn't get used to the speed of the greens or the grain. Having not putt on Bermuda greens since college, I almost forgot how. I even 4 putted once. Only birdies were tap in distance but made absolutely nothing outside 3 feet. Could've shot much better if I would have made par saving putts.
Something drastic has to happen. Lessons on putting? Playing lesson maybe

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Take away was to fast and was causing me to be really out of sync. Playing partner pointed it out and back nine was fine.

My last round I struggled putting but I lost most of my shot by picking up my head. The views at Torrey Pines got the best of me.

Could not make a putt outside of 5 feet today. Made 2 birdies but have several other good looks that I failed to convert. The greens were rolling differently than they had previously as they were overseeded with winter rye this week and had a lot of fertilizer on them. Did not get overly upset about the missed putts for that reason.

Sounds like an internet golfer :)

Putting for sure. I not only had a four putt for the first time in forever, but I also had an "official" two putt that was preceded by two putts from off the green. Actually hit the first one off the green on the other side! (To be fair, the pin was on the far side)

Bermuda grass. I just can’t figure it out.

Tempo was just off all day..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Nothing particular in the last round, but I chunked a lot of wedges in the round before that.

just overall inconsistency. my game is about confidence, and if i lose it bad things happen. lose consistently, lose confidence, adios good scores. thank goodness it was with 3 awesome thp’ers so i has a freaking blast.

It was so windy and cold that E1iterate and I quit after finishing 15...

My last round just took me a while to settle in. Lack of confidence right from the start, and poor putting, was the difference between high and low 80s.

It's not just the last round, I kind of have a groundhog day thing going the last month where my last 8 rounds (5 courses) have been monotonously similar. Zero birdies in eight rounds because my putting and short game have been mediocre at best. My GHIN service lets me compare my 'game' to others with a similar handicap and I'm pretty much playing better than my cap would suggest except for putting and short game:

Below are your Averages, with golfer's averages over the same period in parentheses below.
Handicap Index: 12.5 (12.0 to 13.0)
Score Count 8 (384)
Average Raw Score 84.88 (86.76)
Over/Under Par +14.00 (+15.45)
Green/Reg 40.3% (28.3%)
Par 3s 3.50 (3.73)
Par 4s 4.96 (4.97)
Par 5s 5.68 (5.83)
Putts Per Hole 1.94 (1.86)
Putts Per Green in Reg 2.17 (2.12)

Fairways Per Round 60.7% (24.6%)
Sand Saves Percentage 10.0% (21.9%)