Is a Hotdog a Sandwich?

If a hotdog is a sandwich, then a taco is a sandwich

I vote no

Does ESPN broadcast the annual sandwich eating contest or hotdog eating contest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sooo....now that we’ve cleared that up, what do you guys put on a dog to make it extra delicious?

for the no crowd, is a sub/hero/hoagie a sandwich? what’s the difference? how about sausage and peppers on a roll? is that a sandwich? if not, what is it?

All valid points but I'm still in the no camp because it is its own thing. I say the same thing about Gyros...kind of like a sandwich but it is its own thing. For some reason the subs, hoagies, sausage or meatball things on a roll are sandwiches.

All valid points but I'm still in the no camp because it is its own thing. I say the same thing about Gyros...kind of like a sandwich but it is its own thing. For some reason the subs, hoagies, sausage or meatball things on a roll are sandwiches.

Sounds like confusion.
Just like there is absolutely no such thing as an open faced sandwich.
Think of the premise.

I'll take a ham sandwich, turkey sandwich, chicken breast sandwich, etc.

I've never heard anyone in my life use the term "hotdog sandwich."

No it is not a sandwich.

for the no crowd, is a sub/hero/hoagie a sandwich? what’s the difference? how about sausage and peppers on a roll? is that a sandwich? if not, what is it?

It's like a Ford Super Duty F-350 being called a truck and not a car. What's the difference? 4 wheels, seats, steering wheel, roof, engine, transmission, storage space, etc. The roll is like the truck and bread is like the car. Basically the same thing but different.

It's like a Ford Super Duty F-350 being called a truck and not a car. What's the difference? 4 wheels, seats, steering wheel, roof, engine, transmission, storage space, etc. The roll is like the truck and bread is like the car. Basically the same thing but different.

they’re both vehicles, but further stratified one is a car and one is a truck. a hot dog is a sandwich. a burger is a sandwich. a patty melt is a sandwich. a cheesesteak is a sandwich. further stratified they become their own thing.

I don’t think there is any way to not argue this one in circles. I think of the word ‘sandwich’ as being “stuck between two things.” I was sandwiched between Ron and Jeremy on the couch. A Ron Jeremy sandwich.

So while I agree that a hot dog is ‘sandwiched’ between two sides of its own bun, it’s not what I immediately think of when someone says sandwich.

And yet I’m not surprised when I walk into a sandwich shop and I see hot dogs, hamburgers, gyros, or hoagies on the menu.

they’re both vehicles, but further stratified one is a car and one is a truck. a hot dog is a sandwich. a burger is a sandwich. a patty melt is a sandwich. a cheesesteak is a sandwich. further stratified they become their own thing.

Everything you mentioned above are all food! You still don't call a car a truck just like you shouldn't call a hotdog a sandwich, Bologna and cheese on bread = sandwich

A truck and a car have different fundemental shapes though. A hotdog and sub have the same shape and one is called a sandwich.

A truck and a car have different fundemental shapes though. A hotdog and sub have the same shape and one is called a sandwich.

I don't call either a sandwich

edit - bread and a sub roll have different shapes. bread is for sandwiches the other is for subs

In the technical sense it is a sandwich, just like a burger is a sandwich. But if I've learned one thing in my 30 years on this planet it's this; if a burger is on the sandwich menu, you don't want it.

They are both sandwiches technically, but I'm not asking for either if offered a sandwich.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Everything you mentioned above are all food! You still don't call a car a truck just like you shouldn't call a hotdog a sandwich, Bologna and cheese on bread = sandwich

that’s still not the same though. you’re going too macro. a truck and a boat are both means of transportation but one is a vehicle and the other a vessel. a bologna and cheese sandwich and pho are both food at a very macro level, but as pho and lobster bisque would be in the same soup family bologna and cheese and hot dog would be in the same sandwich family.

this conversation is hilarious

that’s still not the same though. you’re going too macro. a truck and a boat are both means of transportation but one is a vehicle and the other a vessel. a bologna and cheese sandwich and pho are both food at a very macro level, but as pho and lobster bisque would be in the same soup family bologna and cheese and hot dog would be in the same sandwich family.

this conversation is hilarious

Can we all agree that soup is a meal??

No soup is not a meal it's a side. Unless it's chili, but is chili soup or is it chili? hmm

No matter how much soup I eat, it’s still an appetizer. Just like chicken wings.

Yes, a hot dog is a "tube Steak" sandwich.

What's a hamburger then?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

What's a hamburger then?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Something included in the not yet named group including the hot dog, lobster roll and taco

No
I call a sandwich anything between 2 pieces of bread, sliced from a loaf. Not buns!

Hamburger not a sandwich.
Hot dog not sandwich.
Subway is a subway.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
Ham and cheese sandwich.
Turkey sandwich.

No
I call a sandwich anything between 2 pieces of bread, sliced from a loaf. Not buns!

Hamburger not a sandwich.
Hot dog not sandwich.
Subway is a subway.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
Ham and cheese sandwich.
Turkey sandwich.

So take a Chicago Beef sandwich. Its what it is called. What would you call that?

Back