Is a Hotdog a Sandwich?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I asked on twitter and most people said no. If that is the case, what is it?

It is IMO. It is meat (somewhat) between too pieces of bread and generally that constitutes a sandwich.

There are various types of sandwiches, burgers, pizza and... hot dogs.

Hot dog == hot dog.

I'd never thought of that before, but I guess it could be.

If I really think about it, I would probably say a hot dog on a bun would be more of a sub than a sandwich.

Hypothetical:
If somebody said the word sandwich, how many different types would you go through before you got to hot dog?

I'm in the 'no' category.

it is, but i wouldn’t necessarily default to it being a sandwich. it’s no less of a sandwich than a sub/hoagie/hero. bread on either side, meat in the middle, open top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t consider it a sandwich. I don’t think it has a category TBH.

I say no. Like I said on Twitter, it's sort of it's own thing, like the lobster roll. Done right, I wouldn't really call that a sandwich either.

But I don't know what to call it...

It's weird because I classify sandwiches in hot and cold categories. A hot dog I'd considered a hot sandwich just like a grilled cheese or a panini. Where as a turkey and Swiss is a cold sandwich. Definitely a sandwich in my mind. Gotta have a light char and mustard though :act-up:

absolutely not. A hot dog is it's own category in my mind.

Nope its not...kinda its own thing

It is not IMO. I think of a sandwich as being some sort of meat or cheese between sliced bread. I don't really think of food made with buns as sandwiches, they seem to always be their own entity. Kind of like a cheeseburger, not a sandwich in my mind, it's a burger.

The Hot Dog stands alone...

for the no crowd, is a sub/hero/hoagie a sandwich? what’s the difference? how about sausage and peppers on a roll? is that a sandwich? if not, what is it?

No a hot dog is a hot dog.

No way. It’s the bastard offspring of the hamburger.

Isn’t a sandwich defined by two separate pieces of bread? A hot dog is on a bun so it’s not a sandwich

It’s in its own category for me. If someone told me sandwiches were for lunch and then hotdogs came out, I’d be pretty surprised.

More of a sub / hoagie than a sandwich. Then again, why are we debating this? Lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

for the no crowd, is a sub/hero/hoagie a sandwich? what’s the difference? how about sausage and peppers on a roll? is that a sandwich? if not, what is it?

I look at it like classifying animals or plants. It is in the sandwich phylum sure, but it is in its on class. If I asked if you wanted a sandwich and brought you a hot dog you would likely be perplexed.

A hamburger is also technically a sandwich but has gained its own status similar to the hot dog.

Is a Hotdog a Sandwich?

1c2006f42dd80ece5b69173a51f27192.jpg
this is a hot dog sandwich. It looks stupid. I’d still eat it if I was F’d up though.

A hot dog is not a sandwich. A hot dog is a hot dog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I say no it is not a sandwich

Its a hot dog...

Back