2 man scramble, par 3s only set up

Alan4014

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm playing a 2 man scramble with a friend tomorrow, and they are going to set the course up so all 18 holes play as a par 3. It's a regular par 72 course normally. At first I thought that was odd, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. Seems like it takes length out of the equation, at lease off the tee, and everyone is going into the green from the same yardage.
So anyone ever played this format? How did you like it?

No but this sounds really fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is an odd setup. We had an event where we set up just one hole that was a par 4 as a par 3, and it was not welcomed at all.

Hopefully everyone who paid their money realized this was the setup, or there could be a lot of upset people tomorrow. Hopefully they don't put a limit on strokes per hole (no bogey or double bogey is your friend) or there won't be a lot of spread between the scores.

I was supposed to do something like this a couple years ago, but it got snowed out. This is a perfect fun fall/winter tournament.

They run these tournaments a couple times a year up here, I think it would be fun.

My hometown course does this every year and my brother in I play in it, we've actually won it the last 4 years. It's a ton of fun. They set up some pretty fun holes where you may be hitting over trees, short and long shots and hard pin placements. I love it because you have to hit good golf shots. Have fun!

Sounds like fun to me. I’ve never done it, but would be up to try it out.

If they set up a lot of the holes as a 250+ par 3 would be fun. Otherwise meh

This sounds like a ton of fun!

Never played that format but I like the sound of it. Enjoy and good luck.

It doesn't sound too bad but I would wonder how fun some of the longer holes would be as par 3's.

If a hole is set up so that it's length is what keeps scores up then it probably has a fairly receptive green that's free of hazards which makes for an easy and boring par 3

I'm playing a 2 man scramble with a friend tomorrow, and they are going to set the course up so all 18 holes play as a par 3. It's a regular par 72 course normally. At first I thought that was odd, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. Seems like it takes length out of the equation, at lease off the tee, and everyone is going into the green from the same yardage.
So anyone ever played this format? How did you like it?
So how was it?

It was a good time. It was at a course I've never played before which is fun. The course had a fair amount of elevation change, which is something we don't typically get around here. The greens were a little rough and bumpy, which was aggravating.
But as far as the format, I liked it. I've never played a par 3 course, so it was something different to play 18 par 3s in a row. With only par 3s in a 2 person scramble, I think it took the long drive out of the equation, which helped the tournament field. There were several couples and seniors playing, something I don't think you normally see in a regular 2 person scramble.
It was fun. I'd do it again. I also think the format deserves consideration if someone is trying to get more seniors or ladies interested in playing an event.

No but this sounds really fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. I think this would be in our wheelhouse, team wise.

Back