More OEMs leaving Dick’s Sporting Goods / Golf Galaxy ?

erock9174

Reaction score
Handicap
Pretty much already documented that they are dropping Cobra. I noticed at DSG yesterday that they did not have any Cleveland gear either. My other local DSG at least has the new CBX wedges but this store had nothing.

Also it was an odd scene in the ball area. What used to be 2 rows was now only 1. I took a peek to see if perhaps they had the new matte Duo’s out early. Not only did they not have the new duos they didn’t have a single Wilson ball on the shelf. This store the last time I was in there a month or so ago had a good amount of Volvik Vivids. Those were gone too. And they had 2 shopping carts filled with TM balls they were removing from the floor too. So that left Callaway, Titleist and Bridgestone balls on the racks besides their house brands like Slazenger, Top Flite and Maxfli.

Kind of discouraging to see. Granted I don’t shop for Golf gear that much at a Dick’s but they do from time to time have good clearance deals on clubs and coupons that usually work on ball purchases.

I was told by a couple of managers at two separate Dick's in my area that *most* of their Golf Gear will go to Golf Galaxy as they own the franchise. They will keep *some* Golf stuff, but mostly just apparel.

I was told by a couple of managers at two separate Dick's in my area that *most* of their Golf Gear will go to Golf Galaxy as they own the franchise. They will keep *some* Golf stuff, but mostly just apparel.

Heard something similiar here locally.

Not really surprising them getting rid of their golf line and probably concentrating more on their clothing. I hardly ever go to DSG for golf equipment.

Was having this discussion with a buddy yesterday and was saying it probably behooves DSG to stick with soft goods with a higher margin and not having to play the inventory game with hard Goods.

I had not heard this yet.. Fortunately I have both stores locally

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Aw mannn! There's a brand new DSG/Field&Stream combo store about 1/2 mile from my house. It has a pretty big golf section, but yeah, I doubt I would ever find myself buying clubs there. I *do* shop their golf apparel though. I like some of the Walter Hagen polos and they go on crazy sales a couple times per month.

Ours has a decent golf section. We don't have a Golf Galaxy here though. Figure one is coming

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wow kinda surprising but understandable. Still never go to DSG to get equipment anyways

Aw mannn! There's a brand new DSG/Field&Stream combo store about 1/2 mile from my house. It has a pretty big golf section, but yeah, I doubt I would ever find myself buying clubs there. I *do* shop their golf apparel though. I like some of the Walter Hagen polos and they go on crazy sales a couple times per month.

Their Walter Hagen merch is pretty good. 30 bucks for a pair of golf pants and their shirts are around 20-25 without the sale. My work clothes are now mostly Walter Hagen and clearance rack items from GG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tt my local golf galaxy I know the manager pretty well and he is a good guy. He was recently telling me that GG/dicks is changing the inventory they are carrying going forward based on how the manufacturer is to deal with including pricing, ordering requirements and limits, and we will see some changes in brands going forward. Apparently the new product stocking procedures are more corporate top down than local store product ordering control.

I understand them shifting channels as it would mean them not committing as much money to inventory - does bum me out though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a golf galaxy and Dicks near me that are maybe a half mile from each other. From a business standpoint that is pointless to stock a full lineup of golf items at both places.

I have a golf galaxy and Dicks near me that are maybe a half mile from each other. From a business standpoint that is pointless to stock a full lineup of golf items at both places.

Yea, I suppose it depends how many GG's and/or Dicks may be in the same area. The GG nearest me has closed and honestly I went to the next closest one (which I never been before) and it was a dump. I was surprised by the closing and even more surprised to find the other one was a dump. When I say dump I mean it just looked and felt like I was in a store from the 70's.

That said I do have a couple Dicks about equal distance from me in opposite directions. I really though Dicks and it sister GG cornered a huge golf market especially since the closing of Sports Authority no longer a competitor. One of the Dicks has a bigger section and more products than the other so again it seems I suppose different from store to store. However neither was as prepared nor stocked as well as the GG that use to be here. So I dont really get just what their golf intentions for the future are. I mean we all know about their doing away with gof pros a couple years back. I honestly thought Dicks was going to basically eventually drop golf and just let GG handle all of it. At least until I went to my GG and found it no longer existed.

Funny Cobra is mentioned because I bought my current cobra amp irons from GG a few years back.

I walked into Dick's in Lodi, CA and it seems like they are liquidating some of their golf equipment too. Not much there for Cobra and their Ping woods were really reduced. They still have golf balls and the like but seems like high end clubs are leaving.

The golf section at my local Dick’s has shrunk by at least 50% over the last year or so. They used to have an area that was all equipment and apparel was across the aisle. There were two walls of irons (one for regular ones, another for ladies, senior, and lefty), and two rows of balls. It is all now crammed into the area that used to be just clubs. The irons are all one one wall, and the selection is slim. The apparel and shoe selection is very limited, and they don’t have nearly as many ball options as they did before.

They seem to carry a few different current release drivers and woods, and the rest of what they have looks like random leftover stuff from the past 3 years or so. Heck, they still had a new Tight Lies 3 wood there (still priced at $80).

Back