Can you help me replace my Mizuno Jpg 800 Pros?

AceOn18

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi everyone! This is my first post :) I realized I can't answer this question myself, and did some research for the best golf forum, so here I am!

I am a 16 handicap, but a few years ago was a 10-12. I hit my driver well, putt well, my chipping is ok, and am decent at my mid irons. Surprisingly, I feel I'm best at my long irons (4-6). However, I find that I could be better with my irons. The course I play at has small green, so I tend to miss by 10 yards or so, which on a small green could lead to chips, pitches, etc. I'm not a shot shaper, but tend to aim straight and swing.

I plan to work REALLY hard on my game next summer. I've joined a club that has unlimited range balls, so my goal is to improve by at least 5 handicap points (back to a 10-11).

I LOVE my Mizunos, but believe I need more help. I'm looking for something similar to my Mizuno jpg 800 Pros, but with more help. I also want it to be a club that could still work when I improve. I realize there are lots of options, but perhaps someone has been in the same boat and can recommend something that switched to and liked just as much or more.

Looking forward to some advice!

First of all, welcome to THP!

I used to the play the JPX 800 Pro irons and they are great irons. But there have been improvements in forgiveness since those were released. My last iron set (Srixon Z545) and current iron set (Mizuno JPX900 Forged) are both much more forgiving than the 800 Pro set was. Callaway Apex CF16 are another cavity back forged iron set that appears to be very forgiving from all the feedback I have read.

Welcome to THP.

Welcome to THP! I'd throw another vote in for the Callaway CF16's. Seemingly endless amounts of forgiveness in a size that stays in the players cavity realm.

Hi everyone! This is my first post :) I realized I can't answer this question myself, and did some research for the best golf forum, so here I am!

I am a 16 handicap, but a few years ago was a 10-12. I hit my driver well, putt well, my chipping is ok, and am decent at my mid irons. Surprisingly, I feel I'm best at my long irons (4-6). However, I find that I could be better with my irons. The course I play at has small green, so I tend to miss by 10 yards or so, which on a small green could lead to chips, pitches, etc. I'm not a shot shaper, but tend to aim straight and swing.

I plan to work REALLY hard on my game next summer. I've joined a club that has unlimited range balls, so my goal is to improve by at least 5 handicap points (back to a 10-11).

I LOVE my Mizunos, but believe I need more help. I'm looking for something similar to my Mizuno jpg 800 Pros, but with more help. I also want it to be a club that could still work when I improve. I realize there are lots of options, but perhaps someone has been in the same boat and can recommend something that switched to and liked just as much or more.

Looking forward to some advice!

Welcome to THP! I gamed the JPX800 Pros myself, several years ago. Still love the looks of them, actually. Even Mizuno has been able to introduce some additional forgiveness into later iterations of the JPX "Pro" line. The JPX 900 Forged are sort of the latest iron in that particular family. They have incorporated decent improvements in forgiveness, IMO, and still maintain a really good aesthetic quality. Outside of Mizuno, I'm a Wilson Staff and Ping homer, so would also suggest the upcoming C300 Forged from W/S and i200s from Ping. Both are similar in footprint to the JPX900 Forged, with a slightly different look, and each company's take on technology.

These aren't the only options, of course, as there are a lot of really great irons out right now.

Welcome to THP! I gamed the JPX800 Pros myself, several years ago. Still love the looks of them, actually. Even Mizuno has been able to introduce some additional forgiveness into later iterations of the JPX "Pro" line. The JPX 900 Forged are sort of the latest iron in that particular family. They have incorporated decent improvements in forgiveness, IMO, and still maintain a really good aesthetic quality. Outside of Mizuno, I'm a Wilson Staff and Ping homer, so would also suggest the upcoming C300 Forged from W/S and i200s from Ping. Both are similar in footprint to the JPX900 Forged, with a slightly different look, and each company's take on technology.

These aren't the only options, of course, as there are a lot of really great irons out right now.

I am also a big fan of Wilson Staff, I only use FG Tour balls! However, I cannot stand the look of their clubs, other than the FG Tour series, specifically the V6, but I'm not sure if they're forgiving enough. I have also been contemplating the Ping i200s! I was tried the G400s and was really impressed with the launch and distance, but realize their lofts are altered a bit, so their 7 is really like my current 5 almost. I did find the G400s a little bulky though. I'm just a huge fan of forged though. Nothing like hitting the sweet spot on a forged iron.

So have you happened to try the Wilson FG Tour V6s?

Welcome to THP! I'd throw another vote in for the Callaway CF16's. Seemingly endless amounts of forgiveness in a size that stays in the players cavity realm.

Another vote for the Apex here as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apex or the Srixon 5 series. Ping i200

Welcome to THP! Go hit some clubs. Callaway, Mizuno, Ping, etc. all have newer clubs with more technology.
Others in here can direct you to more specific brands and models.

Back