luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
Up North where I live, for all intensive purposes the golfing season has or is coming to an end. I have used my Cobra Flyz + driver for two and a half years now and it has served me well. But now I'm thinking of going with a new driver for next year. I received a bonus check and want to go with something else next year. It seems like a 10 degree loft works well for my game and I want a driver that is super forgiving and will give me good distance. My swing speed is only in the 85 mph range so what driver(s) would you recommend?

Up North where I live, for all intensive purposes the golfing season has or is coming to an end. I have used my Cobra Flyz + driver for two and a half years now and it has served me well. But now I'm thinking of going with a new driver for next year. I received a bonus check and want to go with something else next year. It seems like a 10 degree loft works well for my game and I want a driver that is super forgiving and will give me good distance. My swing speed is only in the 85 mph range so what driver(s) would you recommend?

Sounds to me like you might want to check out the Ping G400 SF Tec if you have trouble drawing the ball or the regular G400 in 9 or 10.5 with some adjusting.

Recommend getting fit and it will tell you what works best for you.

I think you prefer to buy clubs that are one or two gens old. Still no reason why you cannot get fit best to what is available.

Played with an older guy last week and he was getting what seemed like really good distance for his slow swings speed with an Epic. A bit pricey and even more if you go epic star.

Getting fit is the best way to get what works for you. If you don’t want to spend big bucks on a new driver, I would pay for a fitting and find out what shady works for you. The proper shaft with your existing head could provide a huge improvement.

If you don't keep a handicap or play tournaments you could always shave the face of your current driver.

Recommend getting fit and it will tell you what works best for you.

I agree 100%. If you are buying a driver the fitting should be free. Maybe we are lucky in SC, but I can hit every club on the monitor before I decide what to buy. Also look at off brands like Exotics which is about $150 lees than Taylor Made, Ping, and Callaway. Hit them all and get the one that fits best, looks good to your eye at address, and gives you the best numbers.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the OP is looking for strictly driver suggestions, specifically forgiving ones on off-center face hits.
I know a driver fitting is a good idea but in reality, I'll bet more don't get one than do.
Ken, if you want to go the fitting route just to get some data on your swing, the wehrle dome will do it for $50 and apply that to the purchase (of a new driver).
If you want a couple suggestions on forgiving drivers, I'd suggest the Adams Blue or XTD or if you want to spend a little more, the PING G or G30.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

A fitting is the way to g but short of that this is a decent lace to start:

Cobra F7
Ping G400
Callaway Epic

Take a look at the Titleist 917D2, may not be the longest out there, but it's a fairway finder. I don't know but it just seems easier hitting into the green from the short grass as opposed to the ruff/trees.

You've been on the site long enough and the amount of posts you have tell me you've read a few threads here at THP.
So to spare you the "get fitted" & "demo 10 different ones" which by the end of this thread there will be 50 of those..
If your asking and thats what I read your asking, to simply go in and grab one off the rack - ping g

Some to try since I'm about 90-92 SS

Callaway BB Fusion - forgiving/light for more speed
Ping G400 or G400 SFTec
Callaway XR16 - found it dependable and long
Callaway Epic Star - 43g shaft, very light, bonded, very expensive
Epic is good - try it; has a firm feel but it fits my wheelhouse more than the Fusion, which had a lot of dispersion for me.
TaylorMade M2 - Black with white - it gives a good visual for some.

All of us are different - what fits one may not fit another - if Callaway, try the stock Recoil 440/450 shafts if you are smooth. Cut to a 44.5-45 inch driver instead of 45.5-46. Fusion Heavy is 44.5 inches (Heavy mean they used the heavier weight in back to keep MOI and a good swingweight in a shorter length shaft).

Since you have liked your Cobra, I'd start with them. I got an F-6 from my pop-in-law and it's a very forgiving club, that I've seen some distance gained. Disclaimer: I am not good at hitting a driver.

With winter setting in and you looking to really treat yourself, honestly, I'd wait a couple/few months. The PGA show is coming up and THPers will likely be getting their hands on the newest secret weapons from Callaway at the Granddaddy. I think there will probably be some new drivers you'll want to consider and/or the things you covet now will probably be cheaper.

Last edited:
I have the Callaway GBB within your range of swing speed. It's probably the most consistent driver I have ever owned. These can be had fairly reasonable at CPO.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So many great drivers out there. Just go to a reputable fitter and they will get you dialed in to one that maxes out your drives. For your swing speed, one with loft in the 11+ range might be a good fit.

I agree 100%. If you are buying a driver the fitting should be free. Maybe we are lucky in SC, but I can hit every club on the monitor before I decide what to buy. Also look at off brands like Exotics which is about $150 lees than Taylor Made, Ping, and Callaway. Hit them all and get the one that fits best, looks good to your eye at address, and gives you the best numbers.

Hitting the all the drivers in store on a monitor is not a fitting. Certainly better than nothing though and fun.

Played with an older guy last week and he was getting what seemed like really good distance for his slow swings speed with an Epic. A bit pricey and even more if you go epic star.

^^^
I play with couples of guys who have slower swing speed and playing with Epic high trajectory 13.5* and they are crushing it. I’m playing with B.B. fusion 13.5* and I love it. My ss range from 96-103.

I am enjoying the comments and helpful replies which will in the end help me evaluate which driver to go with.

Hitting the all the drivers in store on a monitor is not a fitting. Certainly better than nothing though and fun.

no its not, but if one understand how to read and utilize sim numbers and can also have enough different shafts and different clubs to swing, they can get a pretty good idea of which cubs and with which shaft they seem to hit the best. And of course how they feel.

I'm in that 82-85 SS. Got fitted for a fixed 12.5 degree (I never use the adjustments) through my fitter. He's a kzg seller. love that setup. Gets me the same grip size, lighter shaft. Got rid of my slice, 185-205, usually in the fairway.

For a bargain and a driver that meets you criteria I would look at the XR16. I've got an Epic but don't think it is all that much longer or more forgiving.

I watched a Rick Shields video where he hit all the Ping drivers for a comparison test. Ironically, it was some of the older drivers that he felt gave the best results, and that he liked the best. New drivers are fine.....but there's nothing wrong with older ones either.....and the cost is MUCH less.

I've watched at least dozens of these driver videos, comparisons, and everything....much by Rick Shields.....and I notice that most all the drivers he tests seem to go about the same distance. 285 - 310 yards....with most of them right around the 295 - 300 mark. FWIW.

I watched a Rick Shields video where he hit all the Ping drivers for a comparison test. Ironically, it was some of the older drivers that he felt gave the best results, and that he liked the best. New drivers are fine.....but there's nothing wrong with older ones either.....and the cost is MUCH less.

I've watched at least dozens of these driver videos, comparisons, and everything....much by Rick Shields.....and I notice that most all the drivers he tests seem to go about the same distance. 285 - 310 yards....with most of them right around the 295 - 300 mark. FWIW.

But what has changed in most drivers over the years is more forgiveness all over the face, higher launch with lower spin, and higher MOI - with the desired result of more consistency. Rick, unlike most of us, has a consistent swing, and probably does not need as much forgiveness. So unless you are near scratch, I don't think comparing yourself to Rick is valid nor will it help your game.

Back