PGA Superstore, yea or nay

I have one within walking distance of me (if you like walking that is) ... they are definitely nice stores, but I had to get my callaway sure shot at Golf Galaxy when they first came out.

Definitely a friendly staff, and don't bother you at all.

I have only ever been into one of them. 9 hours of driving from Manitoba to Minneapolis, and the PGA SS was the first place we stopped.

I was very impressed. The size of store was great. The selection was ample. The number of hitting bays had me wishing there was one back home. Staff was friendly and talkative, and more than willing to answer any questions.

My perspective may be skewed though. All we have here are crappy GolfTowns or Nevada Bobs in our SportChek stores.......they were easily put to shame by PGA SS.

I have a couple pretty close and frequent one on my lunch break a few times a week. I love the PGA Superstore so much so I don’t step foot in GG anymore

I am a regular and a big fan of the PGS SS in Irvine, CA. I paid the $99 every year since they opened and use the hitting bays often. The repair shop is good to and I really like what they do for kids. There is a PGA Teacher there by the name of David Brown I have taken lessons from him and he is great with kids my nephew goes to him once in a while for a lesson. They know me well thereIO go in so often.

I've still never been to one. There are none close to here.

Bumped the thread as ive read a few articles about the PGATSS growing while and where other fail and continue to fail.
Beginning to buy out some Toys-r-us locations for new openings. The company says its going to go too much too fast but will expand gradually. They smartly feel that only given population areas will support such a store.

As I began this thread after visiting one of them I really liked the store. No sales pressure, just about anything you want, and an eagerness of the very large and imo knowledgeable staff to want to help you with anything including hitting clubs and getting free general fittings yet with no pressure at all and a smile to do so.

Finally one can go into a golf store and just browse clubs and even be helped doing so. Plenty of hitting bays and plenty of people to help and offer advice.

Then the rest of the place is just huge and filled with anything you need from balls to clothing and everything in between.

You can also find top dollar clothing and also budget friendly clothing and everything in between. They carry their own brand of clothing and of course most other brands as well.
You don't have to walk into a golf store and pay 69 bucks for a short or short if you don't want to.
Just about any club you want, wedges, putters , sets, etc,etc,..

Club repair, grips, shafts etc,,,.

Just an enormous stock of goods and easy help if you want it.

Im really lliking the store and glad to see them expanding. There isn't much else around anymore and what is (and was around) never (to me) had even close to the same ease of experience I get while in there.

Hope they keep growing but also hope they don't end up being the bright candle that burns out fast. We/ve seen that all before.

Sports authority of course is gone and fwiw their golf sections and service had dwindled to almost nothing for years before they even closed anyway. Dicks was doing well goplf wise and so was GG but now they too have closed up a number of GG's and also dwindled down their own golf sections and service. Of course the others who no longer exist like golfsmith among them not too mention the big box general sport stores closings.

I just wish it was a little closer and easier for me to get to. id have no issue actually looking forward to hit the store more often. Its a golf store you actually find yourself wanting to go to vs not even if for no real reason in mind. Been a long time since I can honestly say that.

We have 2 close by - one in Myrtle Beach and one in North Myrtle Beach. Both are good and have a fairly large selections on women's clothes, but not too much in the women's clubs department. There is one aisle in the back that is half women's clubs and half left handed clubs.

Huge fan of the PGA SS. Every time i walk in there i become a little smarter about the golf equipment. They service is great and the staff is very knowledgeable and they have everything under the sun for golf/.

Where I live, we have two, about 7 miles apart both on 17. One in N. Myrtle Beach, and one in Myrtle Beach. The staff could not be more night and day. In the North store, they couldn't be nicer, very laid back and helpful. In the Myrtle store, it seems they all have an attitude. two years ago, when the Steelhead irons were coming out, I was fitted to a set for preorder. The actual release date came and went, my clubs still hadn't shipped after 6 weeks. I ordered reg flex graphite, 5-GW, 1* flat. Nothing earth shattering. After 2 months I asked them to cancel my order. I realize the delay was on Callaway's end, not theirs. They were fine about it, the manager even said she would've canceled too. Then the guy who fit me made a stink to all my friends that came in, about how I wasted his time. He ended up getting fired (not because of my issue), but the word down here is stay away from that store, as nice as the managers are, the club repair guys are surly, and a lot of the salesmen patrol the bays like guard dogs.

100% go to. It’s essentially the Kroger/hannafords/stop and shop/Costco/Walmart of golf. I drool when I walk in

Sent from HTX

No PGASS in Ma., so I have no idea how good they are.

For me I like the selection, the guys doing work on clubs seem decent, not too much knowledge of anything outside of what they have in stock. The biggest complaint I have with them is their trade in values. I had a B.B. epic still in plastic with a price tag on it that had been sent to me. Wanted to swap it for a rogue as they were same price and they said they would give me $150 trade in value, club literally just came out of a box 40 mins prior. And asked last week about the black apex set I have and they quoted me 170 bucks below pga trade in value.

They just opened a PGA SS near me (West Vegas). I love it. They offer a 10% military discount, and our nearby Golf Galaxy just stopped doing so. You know where I shop!

PGA SS is fantastic, rarely if ever have to worry about their inventory, and their workers seem pretty decent in general. I stop in one whenever I come across one (went in the one in Orlando this morning).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where I live, we have two, about 7 miles apart both on 17. One in N. Myrtle Beach, and one in Myrtle Beach. The staff could not be more night and day. In the North store, they couldn't be nicer, very laid back and helpful. In the Myrtle store, it seems they all have an attitude. two years ago, when the Steelhead irons were coming out, I was fitted to a set for preorder. The actual release date came and went, my clubs still hadn't shipped after 6 weeks. I ordered reg flex graphite, 5-GW, 1* flat. Nothing earth shattering. After 2 months I asked them to cancel my order. I realize the delay was on Callaway's end, not theirs. They were fine about it, the manager even said she would've canceled too. Then the guy who fit me made a stink to all my friends that came in, about how I wasted his time. He ended up getting fired (not because of my issue), but the word down here is stay away from that store, as nice as the managers are, the club repair guys are surly, and a lot of the salesmen patrol the bays like guard dogs.

Well.....not so good to hear that store is not as pleasant as im describing mine as being as for the guard dogs. I was hoping my experiences were the case throughout all the stores. Ive even talked to the guys about the fact that Im just here to check out a couple things and even used the free fitting to se of my existing irons were still set good for me. They all just say not to worry its why we are here. perhaps the myrtle area has that touristy kind of sales push in their nature. Id hope someone from the chain might see this thread and read of your experience.

Ill be heading back there to find some golf clothing when I get the chance.

problem for me is that its not easy to get to and in a very congested area. Kind of a real pain in that sense. best thing is for a rainy Saturday early am like I did last time. Reason I say rainy caus that means I wouldn't be playing..lol.

I have both a PGA SS and a massive Roger Dunn near me. The PGA SS is way better than a Dick's or any generic sporting goods store; night and day. But the Roger Dunn Superstore is a whole different level. They have more than triple the inventory of the PGA SS. It's insane, quite frankly.

If we just had the PGA SS, I'd still be happy. It's a great store. But we're spoiled with the Roger Dunn.

I've been in the Myrtle Beach store often and never been met anyone who was surly. They are not as educated in women's clubs as I'd like, but they have never been surly. The guys who put the new grips on my clubs were very friendly and professional.

I have called on PGASS to sell them things over the years. At first I was a bit surprised that the corporate office , presentation rooms, and staffing seemed small in scope. I think they want to control their growth and have monitored the decline in rounds of golf and in retail in general. That being said I would love one or two here Charlotte. One near Top Golf and another North of town.

I have both a PGA SS and a massive Roger Dunn near me. The PGA SS is way better than a Dick's or any generic sporting goods store; night and day. But the Roger Dunn Superstore is a whole different level. They have more than triple the inventory of the PGA SS. It's insane, quite frankly.

If we just had the PGA SS, I'd still be happy. It's a great store. But we're spoiled with the Roger Dunn.

I concur with TrojanMan. The Roger Dunn store is better. We also have a Golf Galaxy nearby which is smaller and has less inventory than the other two.

It seems in many cities the smaller mom and pop store was eliminated by the big box golf stores. Now it will be interesting to see if the big boxes start to take each other out. Who will be left standing.

LOVE our PGA Superstore, it is a great place, they know me, and treat me well...great selection, grab a bay, and try it out...Repairs etc. are quick and on time

I have spent a ton of time in our other local shop, they did not care to get to know me, nor act like they cared...Took some stuff in to get worked on, took a week longer than they planned...

We have one close by and I have to agree the selection is awesome and you can really spend hours and hit a bunch of clubs and try out a lot of items. With that being said the service is horrendous in the Irving store in Orange County. They are nice enough but too many clubs they have worked on for me have had issues. Had a full shaft swap and 2 sets of grip changes - 4 clubs that were swapped shafts had to be taken back for various minor issues and out of the 12 clubs they regripped 6 have had issues - took them in and they regripped for free and 3 more were poorly done.

Was in the other day and they had a free grip from Lamkin if you pay for install so I had them put it on a new wedge I had in the car - went to play 3 days later and the top 6 inches of the grip is completely loose and club is unusable. Bottom line for me is great selection with nice enough employees but complete lack of skill when it comes to clubs and not worth the hassle.

I've been in the Myrtle Beach store often and never been met anyone who was surly. They are not as educated in women's clubs as I'd like, but they have never been surly. The guys who put the new grips on my clubs were very friendly and professional.

I really like the Myrtle Beach store as well. I bought a set of Wilson Staff irons there on closeout and got them so cheap it felt like stealing. I used to really enjoy hitting all the golf stores in Myrtle but other than the PGA Tour SS they’re pretty much all closed now. The Golf Dimensions (or whatever it was out on 501) has been gone for several years, the GolfSmith closed, and even the little mom and pop place I loved in Murrells Inlet shut down. Oh well, life in golf retail I suppose.

Back