PGA Superstore, yea or nay

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
I was only in one once this season and for the first time. Not exactly a short trip to get to it from my home. Another thread about Dicks and GG got me thinking about how/why I ended up in a PGA SS.

GG nearest me had closed, The next nearest one was terrible (to my surprise). Dicks had downsized their golf section a bit.
2 of which nearest me (one smaller golf than the other) which also surprised me considering the closing of the GG in my area which also again surprised me.

So with that I ended up in PGA SS for the first time and I must say I was impressed with the sheer size of the store, the amount of employees, amount of hitting bays, fitting sections , and over all amount of everything golf in the huge store. And glad to see the store was fairly crowded during a weekday afternoon. Granted this specific store is in a very populated area so I dont know if what I saw is a norm elsewhere.

None the less the place was big, seemed very professional and had just about anything you might want club wise not to mention a thousand other golf related things and attire. And unlike other places seems not everything in the store attire wise is top dollar but nice sales too.

Just wondering about experiences with PGA SS anyone has both good or poor. I liked what I saw and I was helped out very well. Only problem is that its a heck of a congested area to get to. So its not like I can just pop in and out whenever I feel like it but only worth the trip to go when my intentions to buy are more serious. I do wish one was closer to me and easier to get to and Im sure Id be in one more often.

And so what your opinion/experience as for PGA SS

Last edited:
I have one near me and I love it. Was just at it Thursday. Staff is always helpful and they always have what I am looking at not to mention a ton of clearance clothes all the time. I also have a GG near me but rarely go unless in the area and have time to kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a 3500 sq ft roger Dunn here. That’s it. I always look forward to 2 houts in a pga ss when given the chance.

There is one thing I love most about PGASS, the employees are not paid on commission. This makes them more helpful and less pushy than Golf Galaxy.

There is one thing I love most about PGASS, the employees are not paid on commission. This makes them more helpful and less pushy than Golf Galaxy.

My thoughts exactly. I will go in on a Sunday morning when its pretty dead and hit in the bays and try different shafts out etc and get feedback from the staff. No push to buy but just want to help

There is both a PGA SS and a Edwin Watts literally next door to each other in Orlando (an hours drive) and I go in both and enjoy both, yesterday I went for a 'fitting" at EW and was so disappointed in the person doing it ( not a store employee) I ended up next door at PGA SS to finish out my information expedition.

But if I am seriously on the hunt to buy that day I will normally work with the guys at EW because they seem to be more knowledgeable, the store is a bit smaller and they really give excellent service. Having bought many different sets / woods/ putters from them they know me by name and it is nice to get a greeting from the Manager when you walk into a place.

Generally I can go into the PGA and spend 30 minutes and the guys working are helpful but if they are busy have no problem leaving you alone to hit balls and to be honest I have not met too many folks there that really gave me the impression they knew all that much outside what anyone could pick watching people hit balls everyday.

The guy that turned on the Sim for me yesterday watched me hit two balls and said I had no reason to buy the X forged with my ball speed, now technically true but what he did not consider was the shaft was not correct or what I wanted out of my game currently. I had to ask him for different shafts to try and he seemed surprised that my ball speed went up 10 mph from a shaft change.

I have bought from the PGA SS, actually both the Callaway CF16 and Pro came from them and both orders were very wrong on both sets and their club guy caught the issues which impressed me that they checked the specs on all new irons if allowed the time and took care of dealing with Callaway getting things right.

Anyway, I feel lucky to have options within an hour. There is one very small golf shop in the town I live and I will shop there but feel bad going in there to test shafts or heads and waste their time since I know I will not be buying that trip.

I went to the PGA SS in Orlando when I went down for the Ultimate Titleist Club test. I wish the closest one to me wasn't in NJ 6+ hours away. The shear selection of merchandise was worth the visit. I had an opportunity to roll putters I had wanted to, Cure and Edel, under one roof. Thumbs up from me.

I wish there was one near me. Love that store

I have 3 PGA SS within 45 minutes, closest being 15 minutes from my house. They run some solid sales and have just about everything most could want including a decent selection of used clubs. Also like their return policy, went through several SGI wedges recently before settling on a few.

None anywhere near me but always stop in one if traveling to or through an area that has one.

I have been the one in N Myrtle beach many times. You can get some good deals, but do your homework before you shop. I just bought the Reveolver cart bag online from the PGA Superstore and saved $100 from other places. Great place.

Does the PGA Superstore have a wide selection of lefty equipment? That is always my issue everywhere I go.

Does the PGA Superstore have a wide selection of lefty equipment? That is always my issue everywhere I go.

Peto, PGA SS has as good of a Lefty selection as anywhere I have seen. Going off of memory, I believe the ones I’ve been in have a separate set of racks for lefty clubs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have one about a mile from our condo in Florida and I go in there every time we are on down there on vacation. The staff is very helpful and I have bought a couple putters and several used clubs there for my son.

we have a big one in orlando near the attractions. staff are mostly very friendly and the selection is huge. it’s the best store in orlando, and we have a lot of them.

Technically its the PGA "tour" superstore. And I wonder how they are able to use the brand? I assume AMB (parent company) and/or the "blank" family (if still involved) which is confusing to me..lol but I wonder how they pay the PGA Tour to use the brand. And who/what does the PGA Tour do with that money as I thought they are non profit organization. I mean however any that works, I am sure you cant just slap a PGA Tour logo on your business.

But regardless however that stuff is done, the store seems to be expanding while others melt. And maybe the idea of a huge retail space is why its working. The average person can walk in and find attire and other things without always having to paying top dollar. No pressure from sales reps, comfortably hit clubs in bays without any pressure, large selections of everything.

Honestly it was getting to be a pain (as I was looking for cubs this past season) to find much of anything to hit and also find not enough shafts nor enough help, never an open single bay , etc, etc,.
Your able to go in there and have someone work with you with no pressure at all and for free and be glad to help. Then you can also pay for a more extensive service if you want. Then as sad it was nice to see attire where the average person didn't have to pay 69 dollars for a shirt or top dollar for shoes if they didn't want to but can also find more affordable ones. (at least while I was in there). And so I hope they continue to grow and would like to see one nearer to me.

Last edited:
I'm glad the one in Southlake is 25 min, and the one in Plano, Tx/Preston/121 is 30 minutes away - or I'd find an excuse to go too often. Some of the guys are helpful, I look for sales in apparel or just try a club that y'all are talking about - the latest was the Tour Edge Exotics EX10 fwy/hybrids - they had them. Sometimes, the monitors are only setup for drivers, which makes them useless to me - so I put tape across the face to view contact. And if you or spouse like to play tennis, stop in - they have a full court inside.

Last edited:
Never been, but have heard only good things.

Interesting timing for this thread, as Alyssa wants to find a Wilson Staff demo event to hit the irons and driver she fell in love with in the spring. Closest and next one is at the PGASS in Paramus, NJ—which is a two hour drive each way.

I’ve driven by this store many times, but have never stopped in. I think we are going.

I love the PGA SS. There isn't one near me at my current location. But I visit the one in Frisco, TX twice a year. That place is awesome and the staff is always professional.

I would love to have one in Columbus. I have been to them in FL and AZ and enjoyed their selection. Considering the GG here seems to be cutting back on things it is ard to find a good selection around here anymore.

Technically its the PGA "tour" superstore. And I wonder how they are able to use the brand? I assume AMB (parent company) and/or the "blank" family (if still involved) which is confusing to me..lol but I wonder how they pay the PGA Tour to use the brand. And who/what does the PGA Tour do with that money as I thought they are non profit organization. I mean however any that works, I am sure you cant just slap a PGA Tour logo on your business.

But regardless however that stuff is done, the store seems to be expanding while others melt. And maybe the idea of a huge retail space is why its working. The average person can walk in and find attire and other things without always having to paying top dollar. No pressure from sales reps, comfortably hit clubs in bays without any pressure, large selections of everything.

Honestly it was getting to be a pain (as I was looking for cubs this past season) to find much of anything to hit and also find not enough shafts nor enough help, never an open single bay , etc, etc,.
Your able to go in there and have someone work with you with no pressure at all and for free and be glad to help. Then you can also pay for a more extensive service if you want. Then as sad it was nice to see attire where the average person didn't have to pay 69 dollars for a shirt or top dollar for shoes if they didn't want to but can also find more affordable ones. (at least while I was in there). And so I hope they continue to grow and would like to see one nearer to me.

The actual details of the super store sale to AMB are not disclosed but I imagine they paid a certain amount and they are god to use "PGA SS" name going forward. I assume that money would have gone to the part of the PGA that isn't tax exempt. They pay taxes on the running of the TPC golf clubs ect so that is where the money would probably go on the books. Pretty sure each event is run as a separate charity. In reality is a big mess but if you slapped the PGA Tour name on something you would hear from lawyers.

Don’t have one near me but always visit one when we go to Myrtle Beach. Lots of clubs, lots of putters and putting area, plenty of hitting bays. Really nice store, wish there was one close.

I've always enjoyed my trips there as the place is very large with a nice selection of just about anything you could ask for. The putting green is huge. Tons of options all around. I did find the fitting bays and indoor practice bays very nice as well. It goes without saying that when it comes to club fitting and interpretation of data it's always a crap shoot as to the quality of employee you will get. It's better to understand your own numbers and make decisions that way yourself when buying New clubs. I find that most employees anywhere get put off when the customer seems to know more about the product they are selling then they do. I'd trust most people on this site to fit me better than any employee at a PGA SS, Golf Galaxy, etc...

Agree with Beez. Over the years, every time I was in Myrtle Beach, usually twice a year, I'd stop in at ghe one on the north end. Great selection, great sales, tons of inventory, lots of practice bays, good place to repair or regrip your clubs. A few years back back, while at this store, I wanted to buy a new driver. Sales guy set up a bay with several different drivers, then left me. Don't think the machine was calibrated corectly. Showed me hitting my drives about 130 yards. Took a few swings with a 9 iron... Every swing showed 205 yards. I saw the guy in the store, asked him about the machine and he just shrugged his shoulders and said he couldn't help me. I asked if anyone could and he shrugged his shoulders again and said he didn't know. Put the clubs down, went across the street to another golf shop (which is closed now) and bought a driver there for a cheaper price. I guess I caught the guy on a bad day. Still like the store, still stop in when in town.

Back