TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

Rick Shiels' 430 review is up. It is quite a bit longer than the 460. Nearly 300 carry average for him. Though quite inconsistent for him.

I can't wait to read on the THP review of this.

Rick Shiels' 430 review is up. It is quite a bit longer than the 460. Nearly 300 carry average for him. Though quite inconsistent for him.

I can't wait to read on the THP review of this.
He's showing swing speeds higher than he has in the past. He hit 120 and 123 with the 430cc... He's usually around 115-116... Same with the 460 M1 , he had higher SS than normal. Hard to know if it's longer comparative to his normal SS with the 816/GBB etc.

He's showing swing speeds higher than he has in the past. He hit 120 and 123 with the 430cc... He's usually around 115-116... Same with the 460 M1 , he had higher SS than normal. Hard to know if it's longer comparative to his normal SS with the 816/GBB etc.
Not to mention 3 out of the 5 drives that I cared to watch were over 22 yards right of target. Yikes. I'll save the time and effort and just wait for 2 things: THP review, Club Clash, and personal experiences. Ok, that was 3 things.

In all fairness, when you get a 300 CARRY with a driver, 22 yards off line is nothing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think an important thing to also note is that he has started building in a fade. Almost all shots from previous reviews were draws

If you see the 430 review the bad shots were all fades leading to a loss of 20 yard carry distance

On an apple to apple comparision i.e shot-shape being a draw his three good shots gave in an average carry of around 310 yards.

Which is really massive.

I am therefore keen to see a detailed review from THP to see how it goes.

Heard pricing is off the charts though

In all fairness, when you get a 300 CARRY with a driver, 22 yards off line is nothing...

ae4f810457051abf124e2aa83a9bd49b.jpg

Like I said, I'll wait for these 3 things and I am excited to see this step in the right direction from Taylormade, because the industry is healthier as a whole with it that way.
Not to mention 3 out of the 5 drives that I cared to watch were over 22 yards right of target. Yikes. I'll save the time and effort and just wait for 2 things: THP review, Club Clash, and personal experiences. Ok, that was 3 things.

I am a little bit pumped a bit to try this driver. I really did not like the sldr or r15 drivers they seemed to be geared towards the higher ss players. I am hoping 90 to 95 mph players can get some good results with this driver . Does anyone know if you can use a r1 shaft in these ?

Thanks gb

The Rick Shiels videos don't really do much for me besides showing what the club looks like lol. He concentrates primarily on carry distance and his swing speed regardless if his chart shows a mile offline which doesn't help me. He may carry the sldr 300yrds but that thing was absolutely awful for me in terms of forgiveness. Id have better luck swinging a bible. I really want to know how the m1 will react to off center hits for us average guys.

You kind of have to take the path on the LM with a grain of salt. A few times it looked like he wasn't quite aligned right with the GC2 and I know he's been working on hitting more of a fade as he's traditionally hit a big draw. Both could have a lot to do with it.

That said, the whole forgiveness factor will ultimately be one where you need to experience it for yourself. Like you I hated the SLDR because it was designed for only a handful of golfers and was very unforgiving. From what I've seen thus far it looks like the M1 has been designed with more forgiveness than its predecessor but that's something I want to experience for myself vs. taking the word of someone else.
Definitely can't wait to try one, I hope it's awesome! Love the look of it

Same here dude. I usually don't get jacked up about new drivers because, frankly, you can get that new driver at a much lower price 6-9 months after release. This launch, though, has me super intrigued. As soon as my club gets a demo I'm going to check it out and try it on the course for sure.

Rick always uses the same GC2 launch monitor so his reviews are truly and an apple-to-apple comparison. If you compare the numbers between the GBB test and the M1 test I'd say the M1 was the clear winner...

Great Big Bertha DBD - 162 ball speed, 1965 rpm total spin, 286 yd carry

Taylormade M1 - 168 ball speed, 2421 rpm total spin, 295 yd carry

Obviously the results of any driver test will vary from person to person, but I'd say the results from his reviews/tests were a pretty compelling argument that Taylormade has a bomber in this new launch. There will be other areas, such as forgiveness, that will vary, as well, but it's hard to argue with the numbers from the same launch monitor.

Rick had two really bad balls with the 816 Alpha or we'd have a virtual tie. And if he'd hit both on the same day, I'd put more credence in the comparison.

In sum, I think the only conclusion one can make is that the M1 is a bomber, too. That is great for golfers and TM. And I bet a ton of people will line up to compare the two and find out which is right for them.

I'm still gaming my SLDR and absolutely love the distance, forgiveness, and control (hitting fairways). If the M1 can give me the same control but even more distance then I'm getting one. Can't wait to try one and see what it can do.

I dont think any driver will give you more distance. At this stage, is all about forgivness on off center hits.

I dont think any driver will give you more distance. At this stage, is all about forgivness on off center hits.

In general, I think this statement is true. The exception are the drivers designed that move the weight forward as in the TM SLDR, R15, now the M1, Callaway 816 Alpha, Cobra Fly Z+, etc. When making center contact, it appears these clubs obtain more distance. The penalty is that if you do not make consistent center contact, it appears to be severely punishing in varying degrees depending on the OEM. Now you see the flipping weight, the slide, the dual weights, on drivers to adjust for added forgiveness.

When I choose, I go for more forgiveness and weight permanently in back.:bashful: It all depends on who you are as a player.

SMH...

22 yards offline is HUGE no matter what your distance is.

awful for me in terms of forgiveness. Id have better luck swinging a bible.

I might be living under a rock, but that's the first time I've heard "better luck swinging a bible." that's awesome!

Lighter weight drivers designed to provide more swing speed and adjustable clubs that allow you to optimize numbers can provide more distance.

SMH...

22 yards offline is HUGE no matter what your distance is.

I disagree if you can hit the ball that far. The only time I think it would matter if you are aiming down the right edge of the fairway and miss right. Other than that you would be maybe 10 or so yards off the fairway with a wedge in. I.E. Bubba. I hope this club performs for the masses. It's definitely the longest driver I've seen reviewed so far this year

I just got the R15 430 but I have to say I love the looks of this and I want one. Maybe next year around this time once the price drops and the next best thing to come out his the shelves I will have one.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

I disagree if you can hit the ball that far. The only time I think it would matter if you are aiming down the right edge of the fairway and miss right. Other than that you would be maybe 10 or so yards off the fairway with a wedge in. I.E. Bubba. I hope this club performs for the masses. It's definitely the longest driver I've seen reviewed so far this year

Trust me, the fairway and 150y out is far easier than trees, heavy rough or other garbage lies and 100y out.

I know from lots of experience. Bomb and gouge only works on certain courses

I can't take this anymore ... just got accustomed to the XR Driver with a KK Black Shaft, have the GBB to start hitting, and now this M1 ... stop it! stop it now! I can't keep up!

:banghead:

I can't take this anymore ... just got accustomed to the XR Driver with a KK Black Shaft, have the GBB to start hitting, and now this M1 ... stop it! stop it now! I can't keep up!

:banghead:
And once you go down that road it gets hard to stop haha

Pardon my Q, but is this available to demo in stores yet?

22blades.jpg

Recently have had a presentation from the TM guys and after the corporate messaging we managed to get a hands on with the driver (460 and 430), FW and hybrid ...... all hitting was done on mats and using a launch monitor, without getting right into the nitty gritty there were certainly gains in distance and losses in spin rates over the other drivers we compared against and it was good to see the claims made by TM in regards to the T Rail effecting ball flights and draw/fade actually was visible, having never really been a TM fan (in fact never even owning a TM product) I have only hit a few of their products in the past, of their past few releases I have generally found them to be a little disappointing, not since the R11 have I hit one and gone "ok wow this is something cool", with the M1 - this is something really cool, this is the case for both the driver and FW, I didn't really feel anything amazing from the hybrid - guess I will still with the current 915's, but having hit the driver it's certainly got me asking a few questions

Back