WGC-Dell Match Play Thread (Spoilers)

Damn, I really hope Day is ok.

Because those days if you stink, you go home.
Match play is the different animal and the early rounds were actually so important and exciting.

If you were a big OSU state fan and they made it to the NCAA. And you beat Duke, and then they said "Wait wait wait, Duke has a couple of more tries" you might think it was kind of weak.

It would be different if the tour was not trying to promote it as bracketology and such.

The world cup is done this way and there are 0 issues with it. It's just my opinion, and one and done is great, but it's just another way of doing it. I'd actually have no problem if they cut the field down of the NCAA tournament and did it this way.

I guess to me I still see the importance of the first rounds since you still have to win your group. It's the same thing that happens in the world cup. Losing your first match puts you in a decent hole to try and get out of since only one person makes it out.
And what if someone from the last draw takes down three big names in a row? There's still a chance for an upset story. What if Nobody McAnonymous beats Rory, then Phil, and finally someone middle of the road, but a grinder, like a Bill Haas.

I guess to me I still see the importance of the first rounds since you still have to win your group. It's the same thing that happens in the world cup. Losing your first match puts you in a decent hole to try and get out of since only one person makes it out.
Yes but this isn't the world cup. They put this together and started marketing it as golf's version of March madness. Anything can happen, win or go home. It built up so much drama right from the start. A bad 3-4 hole stretch and you could be done for the week. Guess what, if that happens today, that golfer can go out and win his next 2 matches. It literally relaxes the atmosphere because there is no immediate consequence to how today's matches unfold.

Yes but this isn't the world cup. They put this together and started marketing it as golf's version of March madness. Anything can happen, win or go home. It built up so much drama right from the start. A bad 3-4 hole stretch and you could be done for the week. Guess what, if that happens today, that golfer can go out and win his next 2 matches. It literally relaxes the atmosphere because there is no immediate consequence to how today's matches unfold.

Nailed it.
It is done like March Madness and done to be like the individual sport tournaments we see at Wimbledon, etc.
They are even putting out brackets and such. And they really could blow this thing out well.
But they fear Spieth losing early in TX I have a feeling and because of that made some changes.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. If someone wants to go out and lackadaisically lose the first match because they feel they can just go out and win the next two then that's great. Those are the guys that will most likely be going home. The first matches have a lot more importance than you're giving them.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. If someone wants to go out and lackadaisically lose the first match because they feel they can just go out and win the next two then that's great. Those are the guys that will most likely be going home. The first matches have a lot more importance than you're giving them.

answer me this. Do they have the same importance that they would have if it was still single elimination?

Nailed it.
It is done like March Madness and done to be like the individual sport tournaments we see at Wimbledon, etc.
They are even putting out brackets and such. And they really could blow this thing out well.
But they fear Spieth losing early in TX I have a feeling and because of that made some changes.

If I'm not mistaken, this was the format last year so don't really think it's a Spieth/TX fear.

answer me this. Do they have the same importance that they would have if it was still single elimination?

No, absolutely not. Not arguing that at all. But they are still important and still enjoyable to watch.

If I'm not mistaken, this was the format last year so don't really think it's a Spieth/TX fear.

The talks were to change it, and its not solely of course, but I do think that played a role.
Its much easier for the tour to do it this way, make the early rounds worth less, and guarantee that stars are around for a while.

The excitement of the early rounds to see if Tiger, etc could get knocked off rivaled March Madness. Now they have a pretty complete young tour, they had a chance to do something great with this and social media.

Yeah for me I think these first rounds are pointless. I mean they do factor in to who moves on, but takes away of an elimination of sorts.

The talks were to change it, and its not solely of course, but I do think that played a role.
Its much easier for the tour to do it this way, make the early rounds worth less, and guarantee that stars are around for a while.

The excitement of the early rounds to see if Tiger, etc could get knocked off rivaled March Madness. Now they have a pretty complete young tour, they had a chance to do something great with this and social media.

I guess I'm just a fan of seeing and watching great players hit great shots. This format gives me 3 days of that each time I go home at night and watch the highlights. Then keep the fingers crossed for good matchups once we get past the sweet 16.

I guess I'm just a fan of seeing and watching great players hit great shots. This format gives me 3 days of that each time I go home at night and watch the highlights. Then keep the fingers crossed for good matchups once we get past the sweet 16.

Genuine question. Does that change based on whether or not the favorite wins? Wouldnt the other player be hitting great golf shots?

Looks like Walker and Aphibarnrat are opposed to halving holes.

Genuine question. Does that change based on whether or not the favorite wins? Wouldnt the other player be hitting great golf shots?

That's why I put great players hitting those great shots. I'm more vested in the great ones right now. The Pieters, Strebs, Kizzire's of the world I'm just not that interested in, whether they make it to the final 4 or not. Now if it's Pieters playing Rory or Day in the finals then I'll be watching. A Streb vs Pieters final I'll be playing with the kiddos.

That's why I put great players hitting those great shots. I'm more vested in the great ones right now. The Pieters, Strebs, Kizzire's of the world I'm just not that interested in, whether they make it to the final 4 or not. Now if it's Pieters playing Rory or Day in the finals then I'll be watching. A Streb vs Pieters final I'll be playing with the kiddos.

Yep, that's the double edged sword of a single elimination tournament. Adds more excitement to the early matches, but if all the big names get knocked off early, then no one wants to watch on the weekend.

Spieth taking it to Donaldson early at a 4 up through 7 is kind of surprising. Thought he'd struggle with Jamie a little more.

Looks like Phil is going to have an early day today.

honestly, I always hope the favorite doesn't win. I hope that best golfer that week is the winner. I actually stopped watching golf recently because everything was about the marquee players and less about actual golf. Spent more time talking about higher profile players that weren't there or missed the cut than those players who actually showed up, made the cut and are playing well. I don't care about the masters in two weeks or the ryder cup later this year, I tuned in to watch today's golf with today's players. Lets talk about masters, majors, ryder cup when those events are here or have something major occur list team selection or invitation time.

They can go either way with this, There is absolutely nothing wrong with this format, or the normal bracket format. Everyone that thinks this grouping thing is boring or doesn't matter is their own opinion. If Rory loses today he still has to play his butt off 2 more matches to have a chance to make it to next round. I like both formats and the PGA could alternate them every other year or if they don't its not a big deal. I see it as the PGA thinking that they may possibly lose some of the big names over the years if they say "well if I lose the first round then Im headed home, you know what that would be a waste of time so ill just skip the tournament all together and not worry about it" Just like people saying this is a horrible time of year to have this tournament. Once again I like it because its a lot of golf over the course of 5 days putting them to the test, and just a few weeks before the first major of the year. I don't think they need to market the "bracketology" so much as just focus on putting on an awesome tournament, or let the top 64 pick how they would like the tournament to be ran, One and Done or this format.

Spieth taking it to Donaldson early at a 4 up through 7 is kind of surprising. Thought he'd struggle with Jamie a little more.

Looks like Phil is going to have an early day today.
Home field advantage?

See for that I get it, but that is for exhibition golf to me.
And goes back to my theory of the tour doing a terrible job of creating stars.

Yep, that's the double edged sword of a single elimination tournament. Adds more excitement to the early matches, but if all the big names get knocked off early, then no one wants to watch on the weekend.

This explains the changes the best for me. Tour needs ratings on the weekend and players do not want to travel to potentially play one round.

Just got a chance to turn this one, unexpectedly busier than I thought I'd be today! Dang!

I wanted to take Sneds in fantasy this week but I seem to remember someone saying he was injured or something? Good win over Charley! What's the story with Jason Day? I heard he hurt his back or something? Nice seeing Mickelson doing well and Jordan is off to a great start too. I love this event!

Back