2017 Titleist TruSoft Golf Balls

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
2017_Titleist_DT_TruSoft_Golf_Balls_Review.jpg

The Titleist DT TruSoft golf ball has been redesigned with a new core and a new cover delivering longer distance on all shots. It’s the softest feeling Titleist and provides superior distance through low spin on long shots and increased short game spin for stopping power on the green. Available in white and high optic yellow.

THP recently sent out 10 dozen or so of these to THPers to review. This thread will host all of their feedback as well as thoughts, questions and/or comments for anybody that would like to chime in.

It will be interesting to see how this version compares to the last version. I still have a dozen of the old ones and thought they were good balls. I will be watching this thread to see what everyone thinks of the new ones.

I'm gonna be interested in these to see how soft they are.
I used to play these way back when before I could afford the V1! HA!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the opportunity to test, looking forward to providing some thoughts.

JB - I prefer a yellow ball, will all the test balls be white?

• Admin
Thanks for the opportunity to test, looking forward to providing some thoughts.

JB - I prefer a yellow ball, will all the test balls be white?

No there is a mixture.

• Admin
Should have mine in hand on Wednesday right before a round at that.

Thanks to THP! Received my balls today. Of course after I had already played today. But these are going to fun to test out.

Initial in-hand thoughts - cover seems a not too hard, can't seem to etch a finger nail into it.
Dimple pattern - smaller dimples surrounding larger ones for improved aerodynamics? Definitely different than say ProV1
Hopefully I get some short game practice this week. Looking forward to it
0244cbfeb9128c5bf3aea83a4c749652.jpg
12a4147678a8a7b069ed7a8eb0827150.jpg
c38e572390cb6a278117b2941c88a097.jpg

Thanks to THP! Received my balls today. Of course after I had already played today. But these are going to fun to test out.

Initial in-hand thoughts - cover seems a not too hard, can't seem to etch a finger nail into it.
Dimple pattern - smaller dimples surrounding larger ones for improved aerodynamics? Definitely different than say ProV1
Hopefully I get some short game practice this week. Looking forward to it
0244cbfeb9128c5bf3aea83a4c749652.jpg
12a4147678a8a7b069ed7a8eb0827150.jpg
c38e572390cb6a278117b2941c88a097.jpg

Nice initial thoughts Nut. You got em quick. I'm looking forward to putting these through their paces. Have you hit some initial putts yet? If so, how did they feel?

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Do the yellow ones still have the pinkish ring all the way around them?

Nice initial thoughts Nut. You got em quick. I'm looking forward to putting these through their paces. Have you hit some initial putts yet? If so, how did they feel?

Very very soft off the putter, at least inside on my mat anyway. No discernable noise or click whatsoever. Great feel

Do the yellow ones still have the pinkish ring all the way around them?
Not that I can see.

Not that I can see.

Definite improvement then, the old ones all had that pinkish ring that was just annoying.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the compression rating on these?

Balls came in yesterday in perfect time to take them out for a little test drive. A huge thank you to THP and Titleist for allowing me to test these for you! Oddly enough, I had just found a prior generation TruSoft in the bag so it worked well for comparison purposes between the old and the new. I'll do what I can to side by side test the old and the new so improvements can be noted.

Putting: One of the trickiest adjustments to make when changing from a firmer golf ball to a softer one, is getting used to the different sound off the putter face. Since sound is directly tied into feel, major differences in the audible click off the face can take some time to mentally adjust, and that ties much into putting. Off of the putter face, the 2016 gave a higher pitched click off the face, while still maintaining that soft feel. The good news is, there was no change in the 2017 version. In comparison to other super soft low compression balls, the higher pitched ones felt more lively and gave less doubt in the mind as to whether the ball was struck firmly enough or well enough, due to audible feedback.

Pitching and chipping: The 2017 TruSoft ball touts an improved cover over the prior model, allowing for increased short game spin and stopping power. Around the greens and from as much as 30 yards from the target, the 2017 model did seem to show improvement over the prior generation and its competitors. In intial testing, the ball seemed to launch slightly higher off the face than the prior generation. As far as increased spin, any major increase was not visibly noticed. The newer version did stop quicker, but likely due to higher launch more than anything. It'll be something that'll be tested a few more times throughout the next several rounds out just to confirm.

Next round out, I'll give it some ample long game testing and see how much of a difference it's made, as well as how well the cover holds up after some wedge abuse.

Balls came in yesterday in perfect time to take them out for a little test drive. A huge thank you to THP and Titleist for allowing me to test these for you! Oddly enough, I had just found a prior generation TruSoft in the bag so it worked well for comparison purposes between the old and the new. I'll do what I can to side by side test the old and the new so improvements can be noted.

Putting: One of the trickiest adjustments to make when changing from a firmer golf ball to a softer one, is getting used to the different sound off the putter face. Since sound is directly tied into feel, major differences in the audible click off the face can take some time to mentally adjust, and that ties much into putting. Off of the putter face, the 2016 gave a higher pitched click off the face, while still maintaining that soft feel. The good news is, there was no change in the 2017 version. In comparison to other super soft low compression balls, the higher pitched ones felt more lively and gave less doubt in the mind as to whether the ball was struck firmly enough or well enough, due to audible feedback.

Pitching and chipping: The 2017 TruSoft ball touts an improved cover over the prior model, allowing for increased short game spin and stopping power. Around the greens and from as much as 30 yards from the target, the 2017 model did seem to show improvement over the prior generation and its competitors. In intial testing, the ball seemed to launch slightly higher off the face than the prior generation. As far as increased spin, any major increase was not visibly noticed. The newer version did stop quicker, but likely due to higher launch more than anything. It'll be something that'll be tested a few more times throughout the next several rounds out just to confirm.

Next round out, I'll give it some ample long game testing and see how much of a difference it's made, as well as how well the cover holds up after some wedge abuse.
Good start mward, way to set the tone. I really enjoy forum testing, there is almost an underlying competition to be the most informative tester in the group. That usually translates into the most well rounded product testing on the net. Glad to be a part of it.

Good start mward, way to set the tone. I really enjoy forum testing, there is almost an underlying competition to be the most informative tester in the group. That usually translates into the most well rounded product testing on the net. Glad to be a part of it.

So long as you keep reviewing, "compete" all you want friend. Remember, there are no real wrong ways to test it unless you're just supplying false info. Example: don't say it's a urethane ball!

Good start and looking forward to following along.

Got a dozen in the mail today. I am planning on playing tomorrow so I’ll give a review soon of how they do in cooler temps. I did a little carpet putting tonight and I think the sound is perfect and the feel off the face of the putter was sweet. Not too mushy which I was afraid of being it is a soft ball.

I definitely agree on the different sound with these. Coming off using the Pro V1x for most of the summer, these have a noticeably different sound coming off the putter face. I don't think it is unappealing in the least, but it was something I wasn't used to and caught my attention immediately. The other thing I noticed was the way it jumped off the face of the putter and that caught me off guard. I found out pretty quickly that I have had to be careful with shorter putts, as the ball just jumped for me and I drained a few putts by slamming them in the back of the cup.

I definitely agree on the different sound with these. Coming off using the Pro V1x for most of the summer, these have a noticeably different sound coming off the putter face. I don't think it is unappealing in the least, but it was something I wasn't used to and caught my attention immediately. The other thing I noticed was the way it jumped off the face of the putter and that caught me off guard. I found out pretty quickly that I have had to be careful with shorter putts, as the ball just jumped for me and I drained a few putts by slamming them in the back of the cup.

Agreed, it’s not a bad sound at all. It is a different sound though, and if it feels soft off the face, I wonder if by default I’m going to try and hit it firmer because I think I mishit it?

I got out today for 18 with the TruSofts and I have to say I really liked them. The conditions today are typical cool weather golfing here in East Tennessee, the temps were in the upper 40s but the sun was shining so it was comfortable once I got going. My main take away from today was the feel of the ball was awesome. The ball felt great off every club from the Driver to LW and the feel off the putter was excellent. I did do a little carpet putting last night so I knew what to expect from the putter but I was pleasantly surprised that although this is a soft feel ball it didn't feel mushy. Distance was a little bit of a drop off from my normal Chromesoft maybe 5 yards off the irons and 10-20 yards off the driver. But that drop off could have been the temps and a soft course as much as the ball itself. These balls really shine for shots into the green they will check up quickly and even spin back. I hit a PW 135 yard shot unto a Par 3 and the ball backed up about 8 feet, didn't make the birdie putt but it was close.

Overall on a scale of 1-10 with my personal 10 being the Chromesoft I give the TruSoft a 9. I could see these making it into the 10 rating once I use them I little more. I may go out and buy me a dz of the yellow, I've never played more than 1 hole in my entire life with a colored golf ball. Once or twice today when I was looking in the leaves for off line shots I was thinking a little color would be nice. BTW I used two balls over 18 holes and only one will be retired and only because it did get scuffed up pretty bad when I hit a cart path with it on a pushed drive.

Back