Rangefinders? Seriously?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetuniaSprinkle

Le Roi Soleil
Reaction score
Handicap
na
If there's a 150 mark, and you can't tell how far you are from that, what good is a rangefinder going to do you?

Huh? I am not sure I understand the complaint.

That makes 2 of us

From what I know, the 150 mark or post is to the center of the green. I like my rangefinder to know what the exact yardage is to the PIN.

"You can keep your calculator. I can count on my fingers and toes just fine, thank you."

I don't have a rangefinder, but I enjoy with someone in my group does. It's nice to have an exact number.

Simply put, I'm likely going to hit a different club if I am 145 from the flag or 155 from the flag, depending on where the flag is on the green.

Any little bit of information helps.

The point is, if you can't instinctively tell how far your ball is from the 150 mark, what good is a rangefinder going to do for you? "I can't tell if my ball is at 140, or 135, but give me a rangefinder, and I'll nail that sucker, bro."

The point is, if you can't instinctively tell how far your ball is from the 150 mark, what good is a rangefinder going to do for you? "I can't tell if my ball is at 140, or 135, but give me a rangefinder, and I'll nail that sucker, bro."

150 yards to the center of the green. You are aware pins are moved to various parts of the green and can vary in distance of 30 yards or more depending on the course?

This is excellent in its wonderful level of confusion.

What about 160 to the middle, blind approach, all you can see is the top of the flag? I scan that and see its 173 to the flag. That's a different club.

This is a completely honest question: have you been playing golf for a long time, like >30 years or so? I feel like those that learned how to play in the times before rangefinders or other devices were commonplace are pretty good at eyeballing distances and picking clubs. A person like myself, who is newer to the game (started playing in 1998) wants the technological aids to determine distances.

To each his own. I like having a GPS and/or a rangefinder handy. I find it helps speed up the game so you don't see people walking off how far they are from a yardage marker. Quick look, get your number and go.

To each his own. I like having a GPS and/or a rangefinder handy. I find it helps speed up the game so you don't see people walking off how far they are from a yardage marker. Quick look, get your number and go.
I pair a GPS watch with a laser. I love it. Makes me so happy.

I think it's handy to learn to play without, especially if the flags are front center back colored. There's something to be said for going old school once in a while. You'd be surprised how little it hurts you. All that said, I do like using GPS, not sure I need to be to the yard exact, but knowing distance to front center and back of green is very helpful.

And yes I have been playing for 33 years and just started using GPS a couple years ago and even then not always.

Because i can shoot the bunker short of the green, get a number to a tree at the end of a dogleg, and tell you my neighbors lawn mower is 79 yards from my deck.

I think it's handy to learn to play without, especially if the flags are front center back colored. There's something to be said for going old school once in a while. You'd be surprised how little it hurts you. All that said, I do like using GPS, not sure I need to be to the yard exact, but knowing distance to front center and back of green is very helpful.

And yes I have been playing for 33 years and just started using GPS a couple years ago and even then not always.

I agree with that. I learned to play without and still do occasionally.

I used to prefer not having a rangefinder. This year I picked one up and it's certainly helped in dripping my handicap 4+ points. Such a great tool that can do so much more than just telling me how far the pin is.

I don't use a range finder but do use a gps watch just a simple one with front middle and back green measurments, if the pin is at the front I go to the middle distance if the pin is in the middle or to the back I go for the back of green measurement, as my miss is always short never long. If I could get my ball to within a metre I would be playing on tour...lol.

Well, I'm as confused as a homeless man on house arrest...

I feel like a certain movie line from Billy Madison fits this thread very well right now

This is a completely honest question: have you been playing golf for a long time, like >30 years or so? I feel like those that learned how to play in the times before rangefinders or other devices were commonplace are pretty good at eyeballing distances and picking clubs. A person like myself, who is newer to the game (started playing in 1998) wants the technological aids to determine distances.

25 years, with a nine year hiatus. I don't understand how they're legal. Were it up to me, it would be half as many clubs and no markers. Bah, humbug!1

I suppose I should have entitled this "Rangefinders, indeed!"

25 years, with a nine year hiatus. I don't understand how they're legal. Were it up to me, it would be half as many clubs and no markers. Bah, humbug!1
And what's up with these fancy motorized carriages people are using to get to the golf course. Why they just ride a horse like a normal person. :alien:

And what's up with these fancy motorized carriages people are using to get to the golf course. Why they just ride a horse like a normal person. :alien:

Or, walk.

I can understand the OPs irritation with them. Some people take them too far. I played with a guy the other day that used one for every single shot he took bar putts. Every. Single. Shot. 5 yards off the green? Out came the range finder. After a while it was holding up play. Could not say anything however as his dad is a high my muckity muck at the club! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back