Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Fairway Wood Review

This is my only ponder at the moment. Kind of a hawk ponder as I destroy my xr 4w but I want to see if this 4w can out it
I had a feeling we'd be seeing you here! That would be a fun test to run for sure. Put that weight forward and smash. That's what I'm planning on doing!

I had a feeling we'd be seeing you here! That would be a fun test to run for sure. Put that weight forward and smash. That's what I'm planning on doing!
I'm thinking with the 4w loft and weight back for higher moi. All about forgiveness and accuracy at the 4w spot for me :)

I'm thinking with the 4w loft and weight back for higher moi. All about forgiveness and accuracy at the 4w spot for me :)
This is true. Helps launch off the deck too. It will be fun to play around with for a while to see what everyone likes. That's the great part about the adjustability and heck, you could change it by the course!

I may have ordered one of these in 16* tour green reg....

Looking forward to your thoughts.

I really dig my 815 FWs but wish they were matte black like these.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got my shipping confirmation last night so hoping to have this in hand on Friday for some weekend golf

Got my shipping confirmation last night so hoping to have this in hand on Friday for some weekend golf
I'll have to check mine. Should've just went stock grip cuz I'm gonna take it off anyways most likely. That'll cost me about, a week. :(

I'll have to check mine. Should've just went stock grip cuz I'm gonna take it off anyways most likely. That'll cost me about, a week. :(
Why would the grip hold you up that long? I went stock grip but custom shaft.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Don't know, just being a tad pessimistic :alien:. Got my md3 about a week after everyone due to custom shaft. It's not a big deal, I'm not playing much of any golf now.

I am excited to have this in hands quickly though!

Don't know, just being a tad pessimistic :alien:. Got my md3 about a week after everyone due to custom shaft. It's not a big deal, I'm not playing much of any golf now.

I am excited to have this in hands quickly though!

If you ordered GP MCC+4 grip then for sure those are back ordered for a few more weeks. Sandiegonative is waiting on his MD3 wedges due to those grips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems my pessimism was unwarranted. Got a shipping notification today. It's in customs so I hope it clears and is to me by the weekend!

After trying these this weekend...I am a big fan. Tried out the 3w with the 16g weight at the back and it was a very solid FW.

Looks like UPS will be dropping this off on Monday...

Looks like UPS will be dropping this off on Monday...
Same here! Now to find the time in the next 2 weeks to hit it...yeah, will be tough.

I'm assuming that the reason the front/back 'impact' on the club's COG and performance was lessened with the 816 release has to do with making the head larger, right? Tuning the sole weights on the 815 version had almost twice the 'impact' on how the club performed (3g/30g vs 3g/16g) and really does make the older one play like two different clubs (at least for me). Dean mentioned hardly noticing a difference in launch by tweaking the sole weights on this new one. It was definitely noticeable to me with the 815. Does anyone have experience with both versions that could shed comparative light on what upgrading to 816 might do for launch characteristics? Thanks.

I'm assuming that the reason the front/back 'impact' on the club's COG and performance was lessened with the 816 release has to do with making the head larger, right? Tuning the sole weights on the 815 version had almost twice the 'impact' on how the club performed (3g/30g vs 3g/16g) and really does make the older one play like two different clubs (at least for me). Dean mentioned hardly noticing a difference in launch by tweaking the sole weights on this one, it was definitely noticeable to me with the 815. Does anyone have experience with both versions that could shed comparative light on what upgrading to 816 might do for launch characteristics? Thanks.
I demoed the 815 extensively, just never pulled the trigger, and agree with you there. It was really evident in different flights off the deck of me. I fully trust and believe what Dean says and sees, so what I can take from it is the front position is not as unforgiving as the 815! I will be sure to report back next week on this (likely Wednesday) after my 16* comes in with my experiences. Keep up the good work Dean!

Just received mine and on looks alone this is my new gamer. Best looking fairway I have seen in a long time. The looks remind me of the Diablo Tour I gamed for a long time. Perfect face height shallow enough to hit from the fairway with confidence but at the same not to shallow that I think twice from the rough. I will give a review over the next two weeks.

My 816 fairway is still sitting somewhere in texas with UPS. Hopefully it will be in the first part of this week. I can't wait to get it. I got to try it out at the new PGA superstore in Lawrenceville on Saturday and it is a beast. With the heavy weight back, I hit one 260+ carry off the deck. I went with the Diamana D+ 70 shaft.

Mine should be arriving today. If it gets here before I leave at 130, I'll be able to take it to the range and see what it can do!

My 816 fairway is still sitting somewhere in texas with UPS. Hopefully it will be in the first part of this week. I can't wait to get it. I got to try it out at the new PGA superstore in Lawrenceville on Saturday and it is a beast. With the heavy weight back, I hit one 260+ carry off the deck. I went with the Diamana D+ 70 shaft.

Let me know where it is, I'll go grab it for ya and break it in! Haha

Mine should be arriving today. If it gets here before I leave at 130, I'll be able to take it to the range and see what it can do!

I know what it can do and what you can do with it. Bombs

Mine will arrive today but I wont get to hit it until tomorrow and will update with what I find.

I REALLY want one of these. My golfing season is getting close to being done (gets cold in these parts late November), so I'll probably wait till spring in case my swing changes.

I really liked the rogue shaft in my XR Pro driver. I think it'd be awesome in a 3 wood.

Back