Disney in Talks to Acquire 20th Century Fox Movie and TV Business

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
Wasn't most of Marvel already? Legit question

Wasn't most of Marvel already? Legit question

20th Century Fox owns the Mutant portion of the Marvel portfolio, including X-Men, Fantastic 4, and Deadpool.
Sony owns Spiderman and associate characters in that universe, most notably Venom and Carnage.

Disney technically owns them, but 20th Century Fox and Sony own their film and television rights.

Just wondering if the government will view this as a monopoly. Seems like they own everything.

20th Century Fox owns the Mutant portion of the Marvel portfolio, including X-Men, Fantastic 4, and Deadpool.
Sony owns Spiderman and associate characters in that universe, most notably Venom and Carnage.

Disney technically owns them, but 20th Century Fox and Sony own their film and television rights.

That makes sense when explained like that.

I'm kinda skeptical if this is a worthwhile deal if I'm Disney. I've heard nothing about an upcoming X-Men reboot, and I'm not sure there's even much momentum going towards one. Whether that's malfeasance or lack of capital on Fox's part I don't know. No one on this planet wants to reboot Fantastic Four. But it looks to me like Disney is willing to buy a major production company just to get a new Wolverine to join the Avengers.

That's not totally outside the realm of possibility for Disney, but it just seems a little bit crazy.

I'm kinda skeptical if this is a worthwhile deal if I'm Disney. I've heard nothing about an upcoming X-Men reboot, and I'm not sure there's even much momentum going towards one. Whether that's malfeasance or lack of capital on Fox's part I don't know. No one on this planet wants to reboot Fantastic Four. But it looks to me like Disney is willing to buy a major production company just to get a new Wolverine to join the Avengers.

That's not totally outside the realm of possibility for Disney, but it just seems a little bit crazy.

Disney could do them right. That would push the momentum to consider reboots.

Disney has no roadmap for Marvel right now once Phase 3 is done. Getting Fantastic 4 would be massive in setting up Dr. Doom as the villain for the next slate post-Thanos. Plus, a rebooted X-Men universe could prove massively popular and profitable done right.

Disney would also get the full rights to the Episode 1-6 of Star Wars, as well as the rights to Avatar franchise and Alien franchise.

Just wondering if the government will view this as a monopoly. Seems like they own everything.

It's why Disney is only potentially buying the Movie and TV Studios. Fox would maintain their news and sports networks, avoiding potential anti-trust issues.

Disney has no roadmap for Marvel right now once Phase 3 is done. Getting Fantastic 4 would be massive in setting up Dr. Doom as the villain for the next slate post-Thanos. Plus, a rebooted X-Men universe could prove massively popular and profitable done right.

Disney would also get the full rights to the Episode 1-6 of Star Wars, as well as the rights to Avatar franchise and Alien franchise.

Full rights to 1-6 would be a big deal.

Full rights to 1-6 would be a big deal.

An 4K release of the "original" trilogy before Lucas ham fisted it with stupid changes would be amazing.

Remember, FOX is more than just X-Men movies. This is Disney building critical mass for their "go it alone" movie/series platform. It also pulls yet more away from Netflix if they manage to acquire 20th Century Fox.

An 4K release of the "original" trilogy before Lucas ham fisted it with stupid changes would be amazing.

YES. Watching the original trilogy is painful now with the Lucas Bastardization of it.

It would be especially amazing if Disney could somehow wipe Episodes 1-3 off the map. After watching The Force Awakens and Rogue One, I wonder if Lucas ever thinks about badly he screwed those up. Probably not, but he should.

Remember, FOX is more than just X-Men movies. This is Disney building critical mass for their "go it alone" movie/series platform. It also pulls yet more away from Netflix if they manage to acquire 20th Century Fox.

Exactly what I was thinking, this merger would not be good for Netflix and IMO, that stock is already too expensive.

It would be especially amazing if Disney could somehow wipe Episodes 1-3 off the map. After watching The Force Awakens and Rogue One, I wonder if Lucas ever thinks about badly he screwed those up. Probably not, but he should.

Do you follow @glumgeorgelucas on twitter?

Back