How critical is a quasi-successful Tiger Woods to Bridgestone?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
So, just how critical is a quasi-successful Tiger Woods to Bridgestone? Not talking going out and winning majors, because personally I believe that ship has sailed, but with the HUMONGOUS (for them) investment in Tiger only to have him get hurt again, the potential one has to believe the company was looking for was lost right out of the gates.

Is this a critical chance for rebound on investment? Is it a MUST rebound on investment for them?

• Staff
No one biting? Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

IMO, with the loss of direction its a big damn deal because its something they could physically cling to. Just making cuts, not being hurt, and playing the visible "B" would be a win for them.

No, he didn't do much for Nike, but, this is a different can of worms IMO. People are more apt to go buy a dozen balls than a set of clubs (also, RZN was shite).

I do wonder what ball he will be playing, the confusingly named Tour B XS, or the B330-S.

Tiger isn't that important to Bridgestone - I don't associate the two. It's too late in Tiger's career to make those type of endorsements work.

Is the lack of response a sign of how little Tiger actually means to people these days? (Hard to believe considering some of the posts in the Tiger thread)

Personally, I have no love for either Bridgestone or Tiger these days as I feel that there are bigger and better players in the limelight and the game of golf is certainly not suffering without him playing every week

Obviously Bridgestone had their reasons for signing him, but maybe they jumped in a bit too early before he proved that he was able to compete? I think the next year could determine which way the company goes based on what Tiger can or can't do

Tiger isn't that important to Bridgestone - I don't associate the two. It's too late in Tiger's career to make those type of endorsements work.

Is it? Phil is closing in on 50 in less then 3 years and one would argue he is the only Callaway staffer who sells equipment. I mean hell, we have the PM grind and the 3 Deep because of him specifically.

If Tiger comes out early and does well and even wins, Bridgestone can reverse course WITH the right campaign to support it.

• Staff

Then why do they keep on knocking on his door?

• Staff
Is the lack of response a sign of how little Tiger actually means to people these days? (Hard to believe considering some of the posts in the Tiger thread)

Personally, I have no love for either Bridgestone or Tiger these days as I feel that there are bigger and better players in the limelight and the game of golf is certainly not suffering without him playing every week

Obviously Bridgestone had their reasons for signing him, but maybe they jumped in a bit too early before he proved that he was able to compete? I think the next year could determine which way the company goes based on what Tiger can or can't do

Hahaha, the Tiger talk will never die. You either love him, or hate him. Hopefully this one doesn't turn to that!

I think it pays off regardless... but if he could win a major, or just any event you gotta believe they would move much more merchandise... i think this is a high-floor/high-ceiling scenario.

This situation could help them both "become relevant again", and it seems obvious that a Tiger win would move more balls than any other tour player... then as long as they have the stock (don't pull a Taylormade) they should get a huge spike in sales.

I think their golf ball fell behind for a bunch or reasons not name TW. Now if he manages to play well and win a tournament or two, he will move product for them and might allow them to break even on their investment.

Hahaha, the Tiger talk will never die. You either love him, or hate him. Hopefully this one doesn't turn to that!

I hope the thread doesn't go that way as well and it certainly wasn't what I was insinuating in my post

I grew up watching a lot of Tiger in his prime but I just think the game has moved on and maybe Bridgestone were taking a risk signing him that may come back to bite them in the ass if he can't compete (whether that be the PGA or the Senior tour)

As near I can tell Bridgestone isn't doing any other advertising. That means Tiger is critical. Any bump they get from him playing well is massively important

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Is it? Phil is closing in on 50 in less then 3 years and one would argue he is the only Callaway staffer who sells equipment. I mean hell, we have the PM grind and the 3 Deep because of him specifically.

If Tiger comes out early and does well and even wins, Bridgestone can reverse course WITH the right campaign to support it.

Then why do they keep on knocking on his door?

I anticipate this response and what I would say is the Phil has been with one brand for a long time, that holds value to the consumer.
Switching around like Tiger has done recently, not that he has a had choice, makes it look like a "Cash Grab"

What I'm saying is I THINK I don't associate Tiger with Bridgestone - he will always be associated with Nike to me.
and they may knock at his door thinking that his time is one, however history shows that it doesn't work out.

i don't think his success matters at all. Tiger is a "brand". His accomplishments speak volumes like few others in sports do. If he never swings a club again he still is/was awesome and his knowledge of the game is beyond most! if he says abc golf club is good for such and such player, i believe him. so will others

i think it already did what they wanted it to do. in the video jb put up after the signing, they talked about the tremendous amount of additional traffic to their site right after the signing. that alone might have justified the cost. what they did with that traffic is 100% on them for bumblef---ing their way into obscurity.

if and when he becomes even tangentially relevant to golf again, bridgestone could have an opportunity to capitalize with the right minds, dollars and commitment behind it. current trends suggest that will not happen, but time will tell.

once upon a time they put out excellent equipment and balls. by many accounts the balls are still among the best, but nobody knows anything about the gear. and when people don't know, people don't care.

People will tune in to watch him play and so long as he's able to do that he'll draw more than his fair share of the coverage. Casual golfers will see that big 'B' and relate it to Tiger when they see the same on the shelves. Many of them, especially the newly smitten casual fans, will probably assume he played Bridgestone in his glory days too. If he's able to play and play decent, Bridgestone will do OK with the signing. Big 'ifs' though.

I think there are other things they can do to be more successful, but having Tiger have a good comeback certainly can't do anything but help.

At this point it seems to be what Bridgestone has held their hat on, but I don't know if they have the ability to capitalize if he has success. If it was me every time DeChambeau had a sub 70 round I would be pumping it out there. Maybe tout the other staffers they currently have that are on tour and making cuts.

Or just hope that Tiger playing well gets people to notice the ball he is playing. But that is a big if that Tiger can even play 4 healthy rounds let alone 4 tournaments and that he plays well is an even bigger question mark.

At this point it seems to be what Bridgestone has held their hat on, but I don't know if they have the ability to capitalize if he has success. If it was me every time DeChambeau had a sub 70 round I would be pumping it out there. Maybe tout the other staffers they currently have that are on tour and making cuts.

Or just hope that Tiger playing well gets people to notice the ball he is playing. But that is a big if that Tiger can even play 4 healthy rounds let alone 4 tournaments and that he plays well is an even bigger question mark.

FWIW, they were on Twitter with Bryson when he was making a move this past weekend.

It surprised me.

FWIW, they were on Twitter with Bryson when he was making a move this past weekend.

It surprised me.

Missed that, but glad to hear it. He isn't Tiger (but who is?) but he has a story and is one of those guys that casual fans will remember because of his unique style.

I don't think Tiger being successful is critical, but I bet they sure as **** hope he his.

It's a hard call. I honestly don't think it's going to matter one way or another, unless he comes out on fire, which I don't see happening.

I think they'd be better off putting Bryson out there, he's at least interesting; in a non-train wreck kind of way.

To me....Tiger being Tiger and still being the biggest draw in the game is big for Bridgestone regardless of just how successful he is or isn't on the course. Obviously the better he does and the more we see that B logo on the weekends it'll only mean better things for Bridgestone.

They were successful without him, no? He hasn't been playing and they seem to be doing okay.

Unless he makes a BIG splash, I don't think it will matter one bit. At this point in his career, the people that watch him will watch him for HIM. The younger crowd couldn't care less and those of us who grew up watching him won't switch to Bridgestone because he plays them I don't think.

They were successful without him, no? He hasn't been playing and they seem to be doing okay.

Unless he makes a BIG splash, I don't think it will matter one bit. At this point in his career, the people that watch him will watch him for HIM. The younger crowd couldn't care less and those of us who grew up watching him won't switch to Bridgestone because he plays them I don't think.

Keep in mind, in the last months they have COMPLETELY changed their model, and fallen pretty significantly in ball sales.

Back