Do you switch to a "winter ball"?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
For some, the season is coming to a close, for others, it never closes, but for another group we don't let it close.

How many of you make the move to a "winter" golf ball? Why? What is it?

I did change last week to Supersoft - I did it because the softer feel is just better on Cold Hands and Cold Clubs.
I was really happy with the performance
Golf is just a bonus this time of year so why not try something that I wouldn't during the season.

I have moved from the Chromesoft X to the normal Chromesoft but that will be about it

Primarily because I have a couple dozen yellow/black Truvis in Chromesoft X and I am struggling to find them sometimes amongst the leaves so have gone back to the Chromesofts that I have got in white

Callaway Supersoft...will be making the switch shortly. Staring to dip into the high 30's overnight here.

I haven’t yet. I am considering moving to a softer ball, but we’ll have to see how the winter goes.

I do not, looks like I'll be playing the Duo Spin year round - plenty low compression for when it is under 50 around here.

Change to the Pinnacle Soft ball for winter from the Pro V1x spring, summer, early fall gamer. Pinnacle Soft is a better feeling at impact and a minimal loss distance ball. Price is better than the Pro V1 too.

No I don't. I don't see any gains by switching.

what is this "winter" you speak of?

i won't play golf in anything below 50*, so no, the ball doesn't change.

I do. Courtesy of THP, it will be the Titleist DT Truesoft this year. I'm not a fan usually of yellow balls but playing yesterday it was so much easier finding my partners yellow ball in the leaves. So I'll be switching for the winter season.

winter_balls.jpg

Used to but no longer do. Never saw any benefits from switching to a lower compression ball.

Actually I do. I play all Winter long, as long as the course is open I'm playing. That usually means mid 30's. A softer ball is just so much easier on the hands, especially when one doesn't wear winter gloves. I'm very much looking forward to reviewing the new Titleist Trusoft balls (shameless plug) I've used Bridgestone Tresoft balls in the past and they worked well. I will also be curious to see how the Qstar tours play in the cold weather.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

If it gets too cold I switch to a winter High Ball.:drinks:

Anything under 40-50 in the winter, I'll switch to a Duo/supersoft/whatever. Ball isn't as rough off the face in the cold and I have no interest in chasing them. When it's that cold I'm just playing for fun and to keep the swing loose. I generally don't even keep score that part of the year.

Nope...ChromeSoft all day every day.

I don't. Assuming the snow melts and I'm able to get back out before spring, I'll play the same ball. I do make a conscious effort to make sure they aren't ice cold from sitting in the back of my car before the round though, and I keep a couple in my pocket during the round so I can swap out.

No, I play the same ball all year.

I switch balls during this time of year, not typically one, but there are a few I rotate in between, I also tend to play the used balls I don't necessarily care if it get's lost under a leaf!

I've been playing Chrome Soft regardless of the season in the past but I just decided to buy a dozen multicolored Super Softs before my last round. It wasn't a performance decision though. I just didn't want to lose my more expensive CS in all the leaves and wanted to see which color works best for me. The multicolor pack comes with a sleeve of white, blue, orange, and optic yellow. Blue was easiest to find in leaves, but optic yellow showed best overall, and the golf ball really surprised me. Compared to CS, the SS flies high and runs like a rabbit off the driver, very, very long. It's high and straight on full approaches too, maybe too high, and I was always hitting it to the front part of greens versus center or back. Because of the height (I think?) the ball always hopped backwards a foot or two behind the pitch mark on the green. That was the case with a 4 iron and a 5 iron approach too.

I switch to yellow/black Truvis chromesoft if for nothing other than the ability to located it better among the downed foliage.

I do only because once the leaves fall I hate losing ProV1's in plain sight or to a plugged ball. Usually resort to something "soft" that I have in my bin of found balls.

I do. Courtesy of THP, it will be the Titleist DT Truesoft this year. I'm not a fan usually of yellow balls but playing yesterday it was so much easier finding my partners yellow ball in the leaves. So I'll be switching for the winter season.

I switch to yellow/black Truvis chromesoft if for nothing other than the ability to located it better among the downed foliage.

The leaves is the exact reason I swapped the opposite way to white balls because the leaves on my course are mainly yellow/orange type colours so the white actually stands out better amongst them

I switch for two reasons. The softer compression doesn’t feel like a rock when i hit it (not sure I see any difference in performance); and I don’t mind losing some less expensive balls in the leaves and mud (yes I do).

I do only because once the leaves fall I hate losing ProV1's in plain sight or to a plugged ball. Usually resort to something "soft" that I have in my bin of found balls.

Yeah this is a good reason as well

Agree with my fellow northerns; I switch because it's really easy to lose balls in the leaves and flat light. Playing junk balls makes it easy to say "fall golf rules" and keep the game moving.

Back