3-Hole Golf Course?

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
Am I crazy in thinking that a small, 3-hole course would be amazing? Time is always in short supply so being able to play real golf in under an hour sound great in theory without concerning myself with logistics.

Sounds pretty cool actually. or a 3/6/9/12/18 option would be even better.

Since logistics are someone else's problem anyway. :act-up:

I've always thought a 3 hole course would be awesome. A 140 yard par 3, and 350 yard par 4 going up, and a 490 par 5 coming back. All surrounding a little pond or something. Then you just pay for circuits, i.e. 2 circuits would be 6 holes. That way you can schedule it easily still.

Hmm don't like this. You're gonna hit like 12 total shots - hardly enough for a warm up or practice.

If time constraint is the issue, range seems like a more practical solution.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hmm don't like this. You're gonna hit like 12 total shots - hardly enough for a warm up or practice.

If time constraint is the issue, range seems like a more practical solution.

There are some people that hate the range. I think 3 holes might be a little short, but I'd love a 6 hole option.

Grand Cypress has 3 practice holes as part of their practice facility and it's great. I'd love something like this to go get some "on course" practice in without actually heading out on the course and having to worry about a tee time etc.

3 holes course would be cool. Par 4, then 3 finish with a 5.... I can see that being something I would use a lot.

Grand Cypress has 3 practice holes as part of their practice facility and it's great. I'd love something like this to go get some "on course" practice in without actually heading out on the course and having to worry about a tee time etc.
This I have heard of. It's part of the warm up area at a course I visited. For a practice facility this makes sense. I'm on board with this.

I could see myself playing it a few times in a row! But I would think logistics of it would be a nightmare!

I like the sound of this.

It could be interesting. Time wise would be great, and would be good for practice.

I've always thought a 3 hole course would be awesome. A 140 yard par 3, and 350 yard par 4 going up, and a 490 par 5 coming back. All surrounding a little pond or something. Then you just pay for circuits, i.e. 2 circuits would be 6 holes. That way you can schedule it easily still.
This would be awesome. What would make it better is if it were on your property!

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

There was a course that closed down in my area about 5 years ago, last year someone finally bought it primarily to open the driving range back up. They ended up getting the range back up and going and now they've been working on opening 5 holes back up now. The rest is being turned into a campground since it's close to a national forest and it'll be sort of a mini resort. I won't be camping there but if I'm ever over there for work it would be handy to play on the way home, I really like the idea.

This would be awesome. What would make it better is if it were on your property!

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

That's what started the idea :D

I wouldn't go. But I think it would be good for beginners or people who are limited on time.

The municipal course in my town offers a 3-hole rate because both the 3rd hole and 12th hole of that course are holes that end a short walk away from the clubhouse. I think the rate is $10. I don't think it would work well for a course that goes out and back on each nine, I've played some courses where the end of the 3rd or 12th holes would be pretty far away from the clubhouse.

Ehh I wouldn't use it. If I'm going to go play I want at least 9. I don't even really like doing that. I like to play a full 18. If I don't have time for 9 I would just go to the range.

When I lived on a golf course, my house backed up to the front side of the golf course. Holes #3,4,5,6 ... four hole stretch would do a complete circle around my house. I would walk out of my house, cross the street onto hole #3 and end up on #6 green at the end of my cul-de-sac & I could walk back home. It was great in the afternoon when people would be finishing up on the backside & there would be no one on the front because of the time of day. So I could play that circle a couple of times before dark.

Am I crazy in thinking that a small, 3-hole course would be amazing? Time is always in short supply so being able to play real golf in under an hour sound great in theory without concerning myself with logistics.

That would be cool for getting some real practice in. I loved the 9 hole par 3 course they had in South Florida near Boca. Must have played that 20 times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We actually had a 3 hole course at the Junior College in Niceville, FL that I went too many, many moons ago. Was really nice to be able to play after I got in a terrible car accident 32 years ago and was in a neck brace (broken vertebrae) and right arm in cast. Got to where I could play bogey golf out there and beat several friends which really posed them off. Lol

Three holes is not quite enough. Our neighborhood executive is just the ticket. 15 par 3, 3 par 4, 3000yds, par 57 and it has lights. If the course is open 9 holes in one hour and 18 in two but it’s usually slower. On the down side the greens are often beat up and if you not on a green or one of the three fairways your on hard pan.

Last edited:
At a practice facility? Sure why not, but a 3 hole golf course would leave me feeling very unsatisfied.

i don't think i would do it. but if i had a crapton of money, i would build a 6-hole course with the ability to play different holes from different tee boxes. i'd pay a maintenance crew to keep it pristine. it would be awesome!

As long as it is attached to a practice range and is marketed as an awesome practice area it could work. One of the courses around here has a decent practice area basically with the first 3 holes built around it of an 18 hole course and they have a practice membership where after 6pm you get to play holes 1-3 if you want.
Would never work as a 3 hole standalone course though.

I play 5 holes more than I play 9 or 18. 5 holes takes less than an hour and is just enough holes to feel like you’ve golfed.

I play Brambleton GC in Ashburn VA 1-5 a lot. Best part is it’s only 5 holes so you get better at golf but don’t have to record handicap :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back