Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball Review Thread

I was thinking about this ball today after playing it some more, and again struggling to see them in the thick rough. The red is the issue there, thusly I was pondering how badass it would be to have Truvis CS balls, but with the optic yellow as the Truvis pattern.

Just a thought.
Red/green color blindness is the most common color blindness. I have it mildly. I can imagine the red would actually make it more difficult to see. Other colors, like optic yellow, might be nice...

I was thinking about this ball today after playing it some more, and again struggling to see them in the thick rough. The red is the issue there, thusly I was pondering how badass it would be to have Truvis CS balls, but with the optic yellow as the Truvis pattern.

Just a thought.
Ugh. I agree so hard. In the air, it's unbelievably easy to see. In anything other than the fairway, it's difficult.

I wonder if part of the reason it's so easy to see is the alternating light and dark color scheme. I have a feeling that white and optic yellow may not give off the same effect.

Just a thought.
My initial impression was that it was easier for me to find in the rough, but that might have changed today. Almost cost me two strokes, as I had one bounce in some trees on an OB line. Hit provisional and went on. Walked a minute and couldn't find it. Had to wait for the greens keeper, so decided to walk back in a 100 yard track for the heck of it. Found my original on that walk, walked right passed it the first time.

My initial impression was that it was easier for me to find in the rough, but that might have changed today. Almost cost me two strokes, as I had one bounce in some trees on an OB line. Hit provisional and went on. Walked a minute and couldn't find it. Had to wait for the greens keeper, so decided to walk back in a 100 yard track for the heck of it. Found my original on that walk, walked right passed it the first time.

I dropped a ball yesterday in my round with #Cookie, BigTex, and Cwmonroe87 and literally lost it off the drop. Took me almost 4 minutes to find it.

Beyond that, I freaking love them in the air and on the greens.

During my first round with the Truvis I was quite surprised at how easy it was to find in the rough. I've been staying in the fairway or first cut lately. I guess I'll have to push one a bit further right for "testing"purposes.

Sent from my G3 using TapaTalk Pro

With the comments about Truvis being difficult to find in the rough, and with me being there >50% of the time off the tee, I don't think I'll venture to buy them.

I had switched back to the Chrome Soft for my last two rounds and I couldn't be happier. I've come to the realization that I just love the feel of these off the driver. The distance I've been getting recently off the tee has been use as good as my TM Preferred X, so why not keep playing CS? I think I will.

Truvis balls is not a brand new concept. Srixon had balls with Truvis back in 2010, though I personally never ran across them or any publicity about them at the time. A box apparently would contain balls in 4 different colors, blue, pink, red and green.

Just a thought.
That would be awesome!

Had this ball in play yesterday and came away pretty pleased. I hit a couple different trees pretty hard and didn't scuff up the cover that much. It's still in good enough shape to have it in play for my next round.

Played my first round with the Truvis today. I've played the Chrome Soft quite a bit since its release and love the ball so these comments are about the actual Truvis innovation. I had a decent round. The ball does seem to stand out visually for me when addressing the ball. Does it translate into better focus...I'm not sure. Very subjective I think and will vary from person to person.

-For me Optic Yellow stands out more in the fairway or rough over Truvis.
-One thing I really liked was on chip shots. I could see the amount of spin on the ball while it was in the air. Does this really help anything? Not really but I thought it was cool!

I've been playing Chrome Soft for a couple of months now and Truvis for a couple of weeks. Chrome Soft feels nice and smooth and I've been getting a nice mix of distance and control. Truvis looked funky to begin with but it seems to really be working. Easier to track in the air and faster to find off the fairway (helpful for me when the sun is dropping). I've also noticed that my club head impact point is much more consistent and compact since switching to Truvis. Agreed that additional color pattern options would be nice. I would recommend this ball to anyone, especially those playing a ball in the mid-$40 range already.

Bought a dozen today. I don't know what Truvis is. But, I've played the Chrome Soft before. My daughter was with me and she plays soccer. So, we bought 'em. Got a big event on Tuesday that I will use them in. Tomorrow, I'll need to do a lot of putting and chipping to get used the softer feel. Tonight, I seemed to leave my putts shorter than normal. I'd like to blame on late afternoon green growth. But, who knows. I'll find out tomorrow.

Finally got to put some in play, and i am impressed, great feel, held up to some adverse conditions (cart path) and was able to see a few yards(3-5) gained on all my irons.

Picked up a sleeve and really enjoyed these. Loved the way they felt. Unfortunately I lost all 3 in 2 rounds (all terrible swings). Felt just as long (maybe slightly longer) with both woods and irons as the B330. Didn't quite get the same bite on the greens with this ball compared to the B330. Will probably pick up another sleeve and give them another go.

Played these yesterday on a course that I am not real familiar with. But, it seemed like I lost some yardage with these compared to my previous ball, the Chrome+ (and One Tour D before that). I need to play them again on my regular track (this Saturday) to try and confirm the yardage issue.

I wanted to share a completely unexpected Chrome Soft hour I was fortunate to experience today. THPers who have played with me know that sucking a ball back really isn't something I ever do. But today, somehow in the middle of my round it happened FOUR different times in an eight hole stretch. The first one (see below) completely floored me. A 9 iron into the par 3 7th hole that sucked back almost 15 feet (aka just far enough for me to 3 putt it). I mean besides me not spinning balls back basically ever, the swing just before this spinner was a full GW into #6 that got my typical ball sitting a few feet past my pitch mark result. So yup this one surprised me enough to snap a pic. I then went on to spin a SW back a few feet on #8, a 7 iron a couple feet back on #10, and another GW over 10 feet back and completely off the green and fringe on #14.

Good to know that Chrome Soft held up it's end of the bargain when I was accidentally doing something right. I've been playing Chrome Soft most of the season and today it was for sure the ball that changed the ball for me, if only for just an hour.

20aug15%20004_zpsggfps7wq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Was just notified my Truvis balls were in! Can't wait to try them!

I found a Chrome Soft during a round recently and had 220 left into a narrow green that is probably 20 yards long.I hit a 5 wood that had a mid trajectory, dead straight at a central pin and it landed about 5 yards in front of the flag then went out of sight. I walked up expecting to see it miles past the back of the green but it was nestled in the fringe!I played the ball for 6 more holes until i lost it in some deep rough but i can say this is my favourite ball at the moment. As an 18 handicap playing for 2 years i have never had a ball stop so easily.

I've been enjoying the truvis more and more. Not always any easier to see in the air, but it is really easy to find. I've been playing the same ball going onto my 3rd round, and the red paint started to fade out of one of the spots.

The one thing I have loved most about this ball is how well it stops on full shots, whether it's a wedge or a 4 iron. I routinely find them a foot or so one side or the other of the pitch mark. Really love this ball!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Just ordered a dozen of these after trying one from Sandiegonative at Torrey Pines. He and Alez367 both noticed how I wasn't getting the spin I should from my Z STAR on decent chips and pitches. The ball he gave me did much better in that regard. Looking forward to trying them out.

Just ordered a dozen of these after trying one from Sandiegonative at Torrey Pines. He and Alez367 both noticed how I wasn't getting the spin I should from my Z STAR on decent chips and pitches. The ball he gave me did much better in that regard. Looking forward to trying them out.

Check your mailbox later this week! :banana:

Check your mailbox later this week! :banana:

You're the man Alex. I think I may have something kinda awesome to loan you for a bit in a month or so :cake:

Just ordered two dozen regulars with a dozen Truvis. You know, just in case.

Was just notified my Truvis balls were in! Can't wait to try them!
Any update on your time last weekend with them buddy? They are an interesting sight from the perspective of someone watching another playing them.

Back