I don't need 60°

Whether it's a 58* or 60*club I'll use it the same way - specialty shots around the green and for Pelz shots into the green. The biggest difference I saw between my current 58* and prior 60* are mostly tied to the former having a much different bounce configuration than the former, which makes it far more versatile.

Whether it's a 58* or 60*club I'll use it the same way - specialty shots around the green and for Pelz shots into the green. The biggest difference I saw between my current 58* and prior 60* are mostly tied to the former having a much different bounce configuration than the former, which makes it far more versatile.
What was the difference in bounce?

Typically the 60* has a lower bounce to better handle tight lies. The 58* is a high lofted sand wedge.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Typically the 60* has a lower bounce to better handle tight lies. The 58* is a high lofted sand wedge.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Bounce and grind options for the 58° and 60° are the same in Vokeys. While 54° and 56° are higher bounce as they are "Sand Wedges".

I just got fitted today by a guy my dad has been using for 30 years and who is a Golf Digest top 100 club fitter. Totally trust him to know better than anyone (including me) what will help my game the most. He said I should be carrying a 55* and 60*, so that's what I'm doing. I love the 60, and can hit a number of different shots with it depending on what I do with the face.

I dropped my 60* years ago. Highest lofted club is 58* and I use that exclusively out of the green side bunkers.

I run my set up 50*|52*|54*|58*, I don't full swing with my wedges and I know what each will produce yardage wise.

I've tried everything over the years, up to 64°, and always went back to doing 90% of my greenside shots with my GW (or PW before they invented gap wedges). Now my wedge setup is 43° PW and 49° AW with my new TM Aero Burner irons, and 56° CG15 that I use mostly for when I need to play a higher lob.

I also have my 54° SW, but I only use it from bunkers - never been able to fit in anywhere else, but I love it for greenside bunkers. For chipping and pitching I'm a 3 wedge guy.

I've tried the 60 several times, it's not for me. The highest I'll go with is a 58, which I use for chips and pitches 15 yards or shorter.

I have trouble hitting the 60 consistently well, especially in the varied lies I get from different courses I play.

I have a 53 and a 60. I really want to go to a 58. The 53 is very versatile, and I've actually started using it more so than my 60. The 58 would allow me to close the gap more, but still be able to hit the flop shots and bunker shots that I've used my 60 for.

I personally carry a 58 over a 60. I find that a 50/54/58 wedge setup blends in much better with modern iron lofts.

I don't need a 60*, but I might be upset to see it leave. In my area the courses use a lot of mounded and elevated greens which are much easier to access by lofting the ball in. Once I got my 60*, it did take me a long time to get super comfy with using it, but now I'm pretty sharp using it out of most positions.

To me, the biggest issue with 60* use, which others have eluded to, is the commitment to the shot. If you aren't committed to a good full swing with that club, you are going to have a bad time.

I will always have a 60 degree wedge in the bag. Love that I can hit full shots with it (up to about 85 yards) as well as half shots when the lie is less than ideal. Use it for most of my bunker shots as well as flop shots or shots that require some loft around the greens due to the rough.

I use set wedges in the Gap 49* and Sand 54* spots as they are all full swing clubs for me, I have just taken my Cleveland 588 Rotex II CB 60*/8* out and put the Cleveland Smart Sole S 58* in, time will tell if this is better.

Doesn't Bubba Watson say "there ain't nothin you can't do with a 60 degree wedge"....lol

i haven't gamed a 60* in years. highest lofted wedge i play is a 58. current setup is a 56*.

I don't see much difference between 58 and 60. But that's just me. I think the OP is looking to drop the lob wedge and to that I sat. If it works for you then have at it.

Very player dependent club. 60 degree may not get used many times per round but when you need it the extra loft is usually nice to have.

Never gamed a 60*. With practice I've learned to hit different shots with my 58* given the situation. Opening the face is no issue but I've spent a considerable amount of time practicing those shots.

I play 50, 54, 58. I've played a 60 before, and I recently swapped my 58 for a 60 to see if I'd like it. I'm back to the 58.

The main advantage I have is significantly more consistent distance control on full and full-ish shots. And I lose very little versatility around the greens. It's just an all around better club in every way for me, short of the once-every-10-rounds super-high-lofted, over-a-tree-to-a-tight-pin shot I can only pull off 20% of the time anyway.

I figure once a summer carrying a 58 instead of a 60 costs me a shot. I guarantee it gains me one many more times.

I've always wanted to create an 89 degree and call the "The Hoe"

latest

I don't see much difference between 58 and 60. But that's just me. I think the OP is looking to drop the lob wedge and to that I sat. If it works for you then have at it.
Not looking to drop the lob altogether just considering the 58° instead of the current 60° mostly for the sake of gapping.

Not looking to drop the lob altogether just considering the 58° instead of the current 60° mostly for the sake of gapping.

I've personally had more success with a 54/58 combo over a 56/60. I was never that good with a 60 and I tried to do too much with my 56, so the 54/58 was golden for me. Just gotta find what works best.

I use my 60* as much as any other club in my bag. i am sprayer of the ball and often find myself needing to hit over trees and bunkers with very little green to work with... I am very consistent with it and use from the fairway for anything 60 yds or closer... very rarely do I skull it... play it back in stance, commit, and let it rip... i don't see myself taking

I lost my 58* on the 3rd hole a few weeks back and didn't realize it until I went to clean my clubs later that night. It dawned on me that I use the club maybe once or twice a round and in most cases can get by using my 54 for the same shots. Now the problem is.....what do I put in it's place :banghead:

Back