Scramble Team.... You and 3 PGA Tour Players...Past and Present

dhartmann34

Reaction score
Handicap
So it's scramble season here in the Midwest as the season winds down. It's always hard putting a team together because you want to have a team good enough to win, but also want to have a good time with those you enjoy playing with.

So I was thinking....if you were to put together a scramble team....with yourself and 3 PGA Tour Players (Past or Present in their prime), who would they be? And why? And for fun, a guess on your final score? (Let's assume an 18 hole, par 72, 7,200 yard course with a 72.5 Rating and 135 slope...if that matters in your calculations at all) :)

For me it'd look like this:

1. Me (Poor guys gotta carry me all day. I can make a putt or chip it close when someone puts it near the green off the tee)
2. Fred Couples (He's the guy I've always looked up to. He hits the ball long and has always had game, and has been known to drop a long putt or 2)
3. Ben Hogan (Is there any explanation really needed? Legend of course. I'd love to see him out there swinging. I'm sure he'd contribute.)
4. Tiger Woods (No one better than Tiger in his prime. And while I've never been a huge fan, I can't deny his skill in almost all facets of the game. Plus, we have Freddy hitting the long ball in the fairway for us.)

Final Score - Let's go with 21 under.

1) Me - I'm guess they'd use one of my putts at some point, I'm bound to get lucky putting first and making it!
2) Tiger Woods - If you're taking someone in their prime, how could you not take Tiger, he could do it all just on his own.
3) Jack - Same as Tiger, in his prime, there wasn't anyone better than Jack in the crunch.
4) Bobby Jones - This was the hardest one for me to pick. But when Bobby was on, he owned golf, he holds a record, no one is ever going to break. I know he'd be a huge asset.

Now for the guess, I'm gonna say -22.

Me, Tiger, Seve, Locke

If we had to use my drives off every Par 4 and Par 5, I bet we would still approach -20.

Me, Phil, Arnie and I think I will add Justin Thomas.

I think we would have a great time, would be able to get up and down from anywhere, and because it is a scramble having some guys that will go for the hero shot works perfectly. If we used more than 1 of my shots I would be staggered.

Me, Jordan Spieth, Rickie Fowler, and Justin Thomas. Who cares what we shoot as it would be spring break all over again. I am going to say we would still manage an inebriated 63

Me (obviously)
Ben Crenshaw - best putter IMO
Mr. Palmer - Just to spend the day with him
Seve - Ball striking wizard.

20 under

Me, Arnold, Lee Trevino, Michelle Wie. I am clearly adding an LPGA player here because our group will be guaranteed to have the most fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me.
Phil.
Jack.
Bobby Jones.

Me
Phil Mickelson
Rickie Fowler
Justin Thomas

How much fun would that group be!

Me
Tiger
Arnie
Freddie Couples

Me
Tiger
Thomas
Adam Scott

Very tough shuffling between Scott/Rickie/Spieth but Scott is known for being one of the best ball strikers and one of the sweetest swings in golf so I can watch that for a round.

Tiger goes without saying. Transcended the game into a different stratosphere.

Thomas is currently my favorite golfer.

Wow this is very tough to cut off at 3. Jack and Mr Hogan are locks. Then I'd probably add Lee Trevino because we'd need someone in the foursome with a lighthearted sense of humor to laugh with me about my pathetic game.

I see 'us' going -21 also, and beating the dhartmann's on the first playoff hole when Mr Hogan holes out for eagle 2 from the fairway. Only because his playoff drive was sitting perfect, for us, after bouncing off the drive he'd just hit for the dhartmann's. That one remained in his old divot from his tee shot way back in regulation.

Last edited:
Me, Crenshaw, Hogan, JT

me - for the comic relief
Tiger - one of the all time greats
Dustin Johnson - LOONG Ball hitter!
Jim Furyk - Mr 58 himself!

The older legends were great in their day but I dont know how they would do on the modern longer courses.

My guess would be 24 under

Me
Tiger
Jack
Daly (someone has to bring the beer)

Dustin Johnson
Rory McIlroy (when he's putting well)
Justin Thomas

I want bombers, it's a scramble, somebody is gonna put one in play and we'll be closer to the green with the bombers. Every par 5 will be an eagle opportunity and there will be no laying up. Those 3 can make some putts too, at least DJ and JT do most of the time now.

John Daly, Phil, Payne Stewart. Might not win, but that would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myself, Arnie, Jack, and Gary.

That's a question that can be answered two ways. One is to just take 3 of the greatest of all time figuring they all got there because of their overall games. That would be Jack and Tiger as definites. The third could be debatable, maybe a Hogan, Snead or Jones.

Another way to go would be to look at the the three major aspects of the game, driving, irons, short game, and choose based on who is considered among the best by category. In that case I might choose Dustin Johnson for his length off the tee, Mickelson for his short game, and Tiger for his irons and putting prowess.

1) Arnold Palmer
2) Tiger Woods
3) Anthony Kim

Arnold because I have always loved his outlook on the game/swing and how humble he was.
Tiger because he is the GOAT in the modern era.
AK because I loved his fire back in the early 2000's, plus I look like his mini me.

Score: A modest -12 under

My first choice would be me with Tiger, Jack and Mr Hogan.

If I early just wanted to have a great time on and off the course I think it would be Phil, Arnie and Trevino.

Me
Jack
Tiger
Speith

The top 2 players the game has known and they could both bomb it in their day. All 3 can putt lights out. All 3 are excellent iron players. Speith's wedge game is incredible.

Me - because it's my team
Dustin Johnson - for his length
Ben Crenshaw - for his putting
Steve Stricker - for his short game

ive been going about this all wrong...

Me
Paige Spiranac
Natalie Gulbis
Blair O'Neal

wouldnt matter what we shoot, nobody would be able to focus!

For the win and with the following provisos.
o I'm going with guys who still play because I don't know what 'in your prime' means when you are talking about playing on a modern course with players that had very different equipment in their day
o I'd love to play with someone like Phil, but when you are talking about a 4-person scramble you actually don't scramble, if you know what I mean
o What a scramble calls for are long drivers off the tee, great approach shots and great putting

So on my team are: Dustin Johnson, Jordan Spieth, and Tiger Woods. Depending on the difficulty of the course 20 under par or better these three can do in their sleep.

I like our chances.

Back