Embarrassing issue on the tee

Embarrassing issue on the tee

Angle of attack might play a factor. If it is super negative this can happen. Had it happen to me sporadically in the past. What I did to fix it was this:

Imagine there’s a spike thru the back of your head into the ground or ball. Make it your goal to not move your head at all, up or down or sliding left or right depending on if you are RH or LH. Set up wise where is the ball? Is it past your front foot?

If it were me I’d get a can of athletes foot spray or impact tape and put it on the club face. Hit balls until it happens. Look where impact is. If it’s low that tells you your low point is too close to the ball (driver should be hit on the upswing). Just a few ideas

Like you mentioned. It is most likely a set up issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i have some thoughts as it's a miss i'll see every now and then as well, but i'll wait for freddie to chime in

I have similar issue that creeps in and will happen once every 2 or 3 rounds. I end up hitting off the heel and it going 10-15 yards. My issue happens because sometimes I stand too close to the ball and nearly miss it entirely.

I had this happen again this weekend, I was raising up and topping the ball. I do want to hear Freddie's thoughts on this as well.

Could be one of several things - when the driver dropkicks, I first look at my weight transfer, and if I am on my backfoot, that's not good. My recent thought is a visual of me finishing the swing squeezing my butt cheeks together (kegels!) and knees with weight along the outside of the front foot, and belt to sky to launch that sucker.

Or it could be the trail knee is crashing, causing the right shoulder, which is already angled back, to drop, and causing the dropkick

Or both.

Last edited:
Jordan after you work on your kegel exercises I️ want you to maintain your spine angle through impact. I’d also like you to extend down the line and not short arm the swing. Lastly make sure you are getting to your left side and off your right.

Could be one of several things - when the driver dropkicks, I first look at my weight transfer, and if I am on my backfoot, that's not good. My recent thought is a visual of me finishing the swing squeezing my butt cheeks together (kegels!) and knees with weight along the outside of the front foot, and belt to sky to launch that sucker.

Or it could be the trail knee is crashing, causing the right shoulder, which is already angled back, to drop, and causing the dropkick

Or both.

Don't think he said drop-kick. If I understood it correctly, the ball is literally hitting the ground in front of the tee after contact, not the club behind it.

This is what is happening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would do one main thing: monitor your setup. to me, these sound like extreme low heel contact shots. make sure the ball is being played just off your left heel. make sure your weight is evenly distributed at setup. make sure your feet, knees, waist, and shoulders are all lined up parallel to your target. my guess is that you are aimed much farther to the right than your intended target line. these are just guesses based on my own experience when i have a similar miss. but always work on freddie's suggestions above all else.

Every so often, I will address the ball, take a normal (at least I think) swing, and the ball hits the ground inches in front of the tee and proceeded to just skid about 10-15 yards along the ground.

When you say, "every so often" how often is that? How many times per a round does it happen? Sounds to me like you skull the ball every now and then. But then, we all get off a bad tee shot every now and then.

Don't think he said drop-kick. If I understood it correctly, the ball is literally hitting the ground in front of the tee after contact, not the club behind it.

Thx.. I was reading too quickly while researching the Affordable Care Act and Control Groups -- just too much...

Kegels are always a good idea, though. lol.

That miss is still a weight transfer issue, as Tadashi posted, and tight arms? Helps if you relax those suckers..

Last edited:
When i smash my tee shot into the ground 4 inches from the tee it's usually due to me swaying and not turning.

This thread has the ultimate clickbait title. I couldn't NOT click on it just to see what the issue was!

Incontinence? Tourettes? WHAT???

And it turned out it was golf related. :laughing::laughing:

When i smash my tee shot into the ground 4 inches from the tee it's usually due to me swaying and not turning.

I have an occasion to top a tee shot like this as well, and it’s usually later in a round when I get a little tired maybe, or fall into bad habits, specifically swaying forward instead of turning. I find when I sway my hands stay in front of the club head through the downswing and when my instinct kicks in to catch up, it’s too late and my natural point of impact is now in front of the ball, leading to a high heel strike and a small divot in front and to the left of the tee. If I’m lucky, it’s a low cut shank, otherwise it’s topped and bouncing left of the front tees.

Lower

I thought so. Maybe you just need to tee your ball higher or move it left in your stance or both. You may be surprised that you might begin hitting up on the ball which results in higher lofts combined with more distance as well.

Back when I lived in the city and didn't have room to hit my driver, I would hit just the Tee.
I would set -up the tees and practice hitting them.
Back then I was just starting to play golf.
I got to where I could the ball in the air most of the time.
There were other faults, but not that.
Also, I practiced looking at the same spot after the tee/ball was gone.
When my right shoulder came thru, it pushed my face forward and I watched the ball fly.
This may not work for you, but it helped me.

Back