Grandura Shafts Review Thread

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a common theme throughout the entire lineup - and I wonder if the nano tech has anything to do with it.

Looking forward to seeing everyone else's thoughts

Yeah, its what I kept coming back to yesterday. Swing was so-so, the wind was 18 MPH+, but the feel through the swing was all I cared about. The nano-tech has to play a major role there I think.

I can assure you guys, you are not feeling nano-tech. What are you feeling is a shaft engineered with incredible materials by some of the industry's smartest people to put something together that is exactly what golfers have been craving.

I have never had a shaft feel so different between when waggled and when swung.

Hahaha, I don't know about that, I'm not a big waggle test guy with shafts.

I can assure you guys, you are not feeling nano-tech. What are you feeling is a shaft engineered with incredible materials by some of the industry's smartest people to put something together that is exactly what golfers have been craving.

Well there ya go. Gracias!

Eager to get out today and focus more on the dispersion and flight traits.

Hahaha, I don't know about that, I'm not a big waggle test guy with shafts.

that's how I can tell if a shaft is whippy

A few thoughts from a limited range session yesterday. Grandura 530 Red (mid/mid). My process here will be to review as best I can on feel/visual feedback and not look at numbers for a bit. I know others like hard numbers, but in this instance with shafts and the difference in flex codes between OEM's, I don't want to mislead anyone or speak from a perspective of being uninformed. This one will be paired with my BBA815 9* set up +1|D & I'll provide feedback based on prior experiences & compare as best I can.

Looks: visually this shaft sets ups well. You've seen the pictures from the other testers and it looks just as good in person. Grandura really did well with the graphics and the subtleness in the way they are presented. Paired with my BBA815 it really is a looker. One thing I will change is the grip, but that's more to do with personal preference over anything else.

Feel: This is a shaft you definitely feel throughout the swing. Meaning it's weighted such that it's not "too light" or "too heavy" while taking practice swings. Taking practice swings I immediately noticed it felt stiffer (not in a bad way) than my current gamer, Diamana Blue S+, not as stiff as the Aldila Rogue Silver S I've played throughout the year. Like I said it isn't a bad thing, just giving a perspective of where I came from shaft wise and what I'm experiencing here. I also feel the shaft head combo of the 530 with my BBA815 felt heavier than my Diamana Blue set up. Again not really anything that's out of whack, but just something I noticed.

Hitting balls is where it's so subjective. Many will feel the shaft load & unload, but I'm not that talented. All I know is that when I swing my driver I can tell if the shaft is too light & if it's too stiff. Sometimes we get into the thought that with a certain flex you need to swing more aggressive to see the benefits, but that just wasn't the case with this shaft. I'm normally anywhere between 96-98 SS with a smooth transition & the 530 felt great thought the swing and at impact. The only thing I noticed was that maybe it was a flex too stiff for me. Nothing that would prevent me from playing it, but with a proper fitting I feel like I could easily flex down and not suffer.

Ball Flight: Hitting range balls can always be hit or miss in terms of seeing "real course" translation, but it did give me a good indication on flight and what to expect. It was a bit windy, but not enough to affect flight too much.

One thing I immediately noticed was that this combo launches lower than my previous setup. Not by a lot, but if I had to guess it's definitely on the lower end of the mid launch spectrum. With that said the balls launched with a good trajectory, held their lines and I saw tighter dispersion than I've previously seen. I hit a few off center and didn't see any crazy spin or ball flights. Again being fairly new at shaft reviewing, I'm not sure if this was more head related or the shaft allowing the ball flight to remain tighter on mishits. As a player who prefers to see a mid ball flight with my woods and irons, this shaft delivered. I was consistently hitting balls that held their lines and were visually appealing. Based on my history with this range the distance was on par and the trajectory seemed to have the balls roll out more than I usually see.

Overall my initial impression was great. The Grandura 530 is a stable shaft that lives up to its mid/mid characteristics. I would even venture to guess its on the lower end of the spectrum where mid launch is concerned. As previously mentioned I think a drop in flex might be a better fit, but it's not so much that I can't play this shaft on a regular basis based on the first range session. I'm definitely looking forward to more range time and on course time with this one.

Love the info guys! Seems like the word "stable" is coming up a lot. I like that

The only thing I noticed was that maybe it was a flex too stiff for me. Nothing that would prevent me from playing it, but with a proper fitting I feel like I could easily flex down and not suffer.

I had very similar thoughts as well. Granted, it was only one session, but i felt the same thing.

The shaft provided for me was the 530 in X flex. I'll openly say I was expecting the 510 as I always lean towards the lowest launching shaft of the bunch, but I'm going into this optimistic that the selection was appropriate for me. I like that I'll be enjoying the mid 60g weighting with what I am assuming will be a very stable flex build.

I'll have on course experiences as early as tomorrow evening, paired with both the 815 and 816 BBA DBD driver heads.

20150831_155118-XL.jpg

20150831_155013-XL.jpg

20150831_155031-XL.jpg

20150831_155038-XL.jpg

20150831_155110-XL.jpg

20150831_155133-XL.jpg

Those graphics are awesome. I'm looking forward to watching you bomb drives with the Grandura. I'll go ahead and pass on taking some swings with the x-flex!

I got a chance to hit balls until I couldn't swing anymore this morning, as well as take it on the course for a few holes. I was very impressed with the results so far as Grandura seems to have something unique here.

Head: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 - 10.5* (N,+1) w/ heavy screw in the toe and gravity core down.
Shaft: Grandura 510 in stiff.

Feel: The best way I can describe it is that the shaft feels more substantial. Almost as if the shaft was thicker and for some reason this really inspired a lot of confidence. I could tell where the shaft was throughout the entire swing with a solid balanced feel. It felt as good or better than other shafts I have played with a similar profile.

Launch: I was seeing my typical mid/high launch which is right where I want it to be. On the course this translated to 240+ carry and 250-270 with roll out depending on the hole which is about as good as it gets for me. Right in line with similar shafts and the type of results I have been seeing lately and would expect.

Dispersion: This is where the I was seeing a big improvement over the other two shafts I had on the range. I had my previous gamer which is a Graphite Design AD BB 7S and a Project X Handcrafted 6.0 with me. I would take 3-4 swipes with each one and then switch. I did this for 4-5 rotations. Each time the results with the Grandura where much better. I took the Grandura to the course and got similar results to what I was seeing on the range. Only one time out with it but if that continues it would be a game changer for me personally.

Typical result from today's round. Middle of the fairway with a little wedge in. Hole was playing 350 yards today.

e74c2089dda094c7b40a445de6d0f9d4.jpg

y'all are knocking it out so far, and this is just the beginning! a little unexpected snag has me delayed a couple days, but I promise to put this thing through the test ASAP! the rest of you troopers keep it coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine came in today. Red, 550, 70 g, and stiff flex. It looks fantastic. The length is perfect, and I am going to take it out for a few swings this afternoon. It's pretty hot today, but I'm not going to let that stop me from hitting some balls at the range. I'll post my initial thoughts later tonight, when I get back home.

A lot of excellent feedback in here so far. Stable is pretty common it seems, and that you don't really have to step on it to get a lot out of it.

Great stuff so far guys. I am heading to the website as soon as I get done eating.

Mine arrived! Box was beat to hell but she's just fine, thanks ups lol. I was sent the red 550, 70g and stiff flex and will be paired with my bba 815. I should be able to get some range time in tomorrow and I'm excited to get started!

Confirmed. She'll be hitting the course tomorrow morning

Love hearing these are showing up for the rest of the testers. Lets see some pics!

Grandura Shafts Review Thread

Lets see some pics!

just a few without the head on. looking like maybe tomorrow afternoon I'll have some real swings with this thing on flightscope, and with some head-to-head comparisons with other similar weight and flex and launch characteristics shafts. might even get some vids of a couple different people swinging this beauty.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441157055.186036.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441157064.240794.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441157072.909988.jpg

and unfortunately no, although my photog skills are obviously second to none, I'm not available to take your christmas card pics.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441156951.551150.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441156951.551150.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 0
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441156960.438657.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441156960.438657.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 0
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441156975.213465.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441156975.213465.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 0
Love hearing these are showing up for the rest of the testers. Lets see some pics!
Was getting close to dark when mine showed up. I'm going to regrip and take some pics tomorrow. I do appreciate they put a new golf pride wrap on there for me, I actually used to game that grip haha just prefer the ilines now. Having the adapter and just screwing it right on is SO NICE. I really am thankful for that as well. Thanks Grandura and THP for this opportunity!

Hit a small bucket this evening and have to say that I came away pretty impressed. I will post more tomorrow since I just got home, but stability is definitely a word that describes my first impression of this shaft. And that is a good thing indeed!

I've got one round in with the Grandura 530 65x in play and I've got a lot of unanswered questions that I'll be pursuing here in the next week. It's a very stable shaft in every facet, between the Jason Dufner'esque pre-shot to the drive through the zone. I can respect that, but being that it's extra stiff in flex I am not even remotely surprised.

The graphics are great. Nice and subtle, nothing gaudy, and an option to flip it to see less name and more of a linear look.

The flight, aside from two mediocre turns on the ball, is mid for me (totally eyeballing). Low/Mid when I really hit it well, mid when it get behind the ball a bit and leave it out to the right side. I've got a few shafts here that I can plug into the same head so I'll be taking this one away to see if it's just the latest Canadan swing version or whether it's a genuine Grandura element (I'm known to hit a high ball or two).

I'm going to try to limit my thoughts for now because there is so much that a single round of maybe six swings can't tell me. I'd like to get some range time and personal comparisons before I really make some claims but I wanted to update and say that my first outing was positive. None of the dreaded "shaft shudder" although that's typical a swing thing more than a shaft thing I think. No head lagging behind the swing, just a stable offering that gives me really solid carry numbers.

I'll see what I can do to bring the SkyTrak into an update before the weekend ends.

Played my first 18 with this shaft this morning. The shaft is definitely starting to feel more natural for me the more I swing it. Even if I didn't have the specs from the website, I would know that this shaft is definitely lower torque than the Kuro Kage Black HBP I was gaming previously. With my previous shaft, I could feel the head loading a bit more than I do with the Grandura. Not saying the 550 is overly stiff or by any means, but it provides and generally more consistent feel from the beginning of the backswing through the downswing.

In terms of performance, I was seeing some great distance and dispersion numbers. I have battling and open face issue with my irons and it has seemed to have crept into my driver a bit - however this is where I noticed something interesting: on most of the "weak" fades I hit today, I was still seeing my normal carry distance. I hit some little fades today that put me in spots that normally I only reached with a draw. I found that very interesting - could it be due to lower spin? Possibly. Could it be to the lower shaft torque leading to less head twisting on off center strikes? I can't say I am knowledgeable enough in club physics to say so. But the GPS'd numbers spoke for themselves.

As the round went on, I really started getting a better feel for the shaft and my timing improved and I saw some beautiful drives. Definitely a mid launch with no visible issues caused by too much spin. I also want to add that even though this shaft feels more "substantial" than my previous shaft, I never felt like it was too much shaft or that I was too tired to swing it - even at the end of the round when the sun was out, temps were pushing 90 degrees and the humidity was through the roof. In fact, by two best drives of the day were on the two last holes I pulled driver on.

Those are my thoughts from my round today, but if anyone has any questions or specific things to try/look out for next time I go out (this weekend), please let me know!

Back