Which iron to try before you buy?

Another vote for the 7 iron, which gives me enough information to evaluate fit and performance...

For me it’s the 7 iron that I prefer to hit to test an iron... but the 8 iron is the one that I have the most trust in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first club I pull is a 5 iron see how that appeals to my eyes, then I usually test the 7 iron if I like the looks of the 5. To me if a 5 iron looks like I could hit it, the rest of the clubs should follow the same pattern.*

6 iron. If it can knock my 6 hybrid out of the bag I will consider switching. Not ever trying to knock my 4 hybrid out so no reason to test a set 4 iron. From there I just need to figure out the new gapping.

I usually try the 7 iron when trying out new clubs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting question.

I would say I’d buy based on the longest iron I Game (6i) as my hybrids are going nowhere. Honestly being able to hit the Altitude 6i better than the 7i I was gaming prior led me to switching to those.

I would always demo a 7 or 8 iron on the course, which are the normal irons the OEM's seem to send out.

I go with the 5i, it is the longest iron I carry so if I hit that well the rest of the set should be good, theoretically :bulgy-eyes:

Always start with a 7i. favorite club in my bag

7I is the standard, but when I did my titleist Thursday fitting I really liked that they had some longer and shorter irons to hit as well. they didn't have all the shaft options, but was nice to see how they set up.

Hmm 8 iron came to my mind initially but after reading some of these responses kind of learning toward the 6 now.

I've had a few different pros tell me over the years that the 7 iron is kind of the default standard. I've always gone to the 8 iron myself, as it's long been a person favorite.

However, I can see the wisdom in choosing a longer iron, especially if those are troublesome (and with me they are).

So I just saw a post in another thread about a user who ordered a 3-iron to compare to his current gamer, and if it worked out they would purchase the rest of the set. I thought that was an odd club to choose in conducting a test.

I know a lot of fitters use a 6i for fitting. I'm not really sure why they do.

For me, I think if I had my druthers but could only choose one iron to test before making a purchase decision, it would be the 8-iron. It's probably the longest club in my bag for which I still have an expectation of hitting a very good shot. Anything longer and I'm much more content with a miss. It's the longest club I would call a "scoring iron."

Which club would be the best tester for you?

I wonder if that was my post that you are referring to? The reason I chose the 3 iron is because I hit a lot of 3 irons off the tee in tight driving holes and I hit my current 3 iron pretty consistently. If the Tour B 3 iron is as consistent and feels as good as the MP-25 then the rest of the irons (IMHO) will be a no brainer. I figure if you can hit the hardest to hit club then the others should fall in line. In the past I've tested using the 7 irons, only to be disappointed in the 3,4 and 5 irons.

I'm good with a 6 or 7. I think that will give you a clue on how the longer irons may go and is also the point where you would spilt into a combo set.

I wonder if that was my post that you are referring to? The reason I chose the 3 iron is because I hit a lot of 3 irons off the tee in tight driving holes and I hit my current 3 iron pretty consistently. If the Tour B 3 iron is as consistent and feels as good as the MP-25 then the rest of the irons (IMHO) will be a no brainer. I figure if you can hit the hardest to hit club then the others should fall in line. In the past I've tested using the 7 irons, only to be disappointed in the 3,4 and 5 irons.

yep, that was the post! it sparked an interesting conversation. honestly, i'm really surprised how many people say they would go off the longest iron they intend to carry. i want to focus on the clubs i intend to score with, not those i'm ok to miss a green with. your reasons do make a lot of sense. thanks!

I go 7 iron first and foremost but I also like to hit the 9i or PW since those tend to be my most used irons by far.

I find the 7i gives me the best overall impression of flight I can expect, tells me if they launch well enough for my liking. I can hit almost ANY short iron really well and I can mishit even the most forgiving long iron like a moron.

Whatever the longest iron you carry is. If you can hit that, you can hit the rest.

That's my thought as well. I want to try them all if I can, but if not I'll settle for the longest one I plan on carrying.

That's my thought as well. I want to try them all if I can, but if not I'll settle for the longest one I plan on carrying.
Yeah if I decide to finally get a completely fitted set I'm going to do a complete fitting. But if it's just diy by buying demo clubs off eBay then I would go for a 3 or 4 iron. It's much easier to complete the set by buying a 4-pw or 5-pw that way.

Mostly I just buy complete used sets to try out lol.

Sent from my SM-G955N using Tapatalk

I either use a 6 or 7. If I can hit either clean and with confidence then that usually gravitates to the remainder of the set.

I would grab the 6i. If I can hit that consistently then I can hit everything into GW. There are more players irons I can hit in the 8i slot but then really struggle with 6.

I was leaning 7i until I saw this. #Cookie's a smart man. I've played sets were 7i on down were easy peasy but I needed more help in the 5i or 6i spot. 6i it is...

Most fitting carts only seem to have a 6 or 7...I tend to want to see a 3 or 4 iron and a 7...

The only reason I would buy a club to test against my own club is if I lived too far from a golf store or fitter. I don't see the logic otherwise, maybe unless you can return the club. I can go to a golf store an hour away and hit all of the clubs in the set.

Back