Which iron to try before you buy?

McLovin

grateful for this community
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I just saw a post in another thread about a user who ordered a 3-iron to compare to his current gamer, and if it worked out they would purchase the rest of the set. I thought that was an odd club to choose in conducting a test.

I know a lot of fitters use a 6i for fitting. I'm not really sure why they do.

For me, I think if I had my druthers but could only choose one iron to test before making a purchase decision, it would be the 8-iron. It's probably the longest club in my bag for which I still have an expectation of hitting a very good shot. Anything longer and I'm much more content with a miss. It's the longest club I would call a "scoring iron."

Which club would be the best tester for you?

8 for me also, but you saw the crap I was flinging on Sunday so it is so hard to figure anything out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I grab the 8 and if I like what's happening I make sure to try all the irons in the set.

I would actually prefer the 7i if I had to choose one to do a fitting with. It splits my iron set for me, the 4-6i's would be incrementally harder to hit and the 8-PW would be incrementally easier to hit. I believe it would give me reasonable expectations from from ends.

I would grab the 6i. If I can hit that consistently then I can hit everything into GW. There are more players irons I can hit in the 8i slot but then really struggle with 6.

Whatever the longest iron you carry is. If you can hit that, you can hit the rest.

Agreed. 8 iron. I wish fitting carts had 8's in them.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

6 iron for me. If I can hit that, I feel confident that I can hit the shorter clubs in that set.

Whatever the longest iron you carry is. If you can hit that, you can hit the rest.

interesting thought process. seems like a lot more people would be fit into forgiving irons if that was the methodology.

Mine would be a 6i, one of my favorite clubs.

For me it would be between the 6i or the 7i. I want to fit to my miss and take into consideration well struck shots. Anything lower than my 7i I am fully confident swinging it.

interesting thought process. seems like a lot more people would be fit into forgiving irons if that was the methodology.

As they probably should then. There is a reason they put 7 irons in the cart instead. They can sell more irons if you feel more confident as your testing them, but that doesn't work so well once you're actually out playing them and then need to hit a 5 iron.

7I all the time and its also the main iron i hit on range

For me it has to be the 7, its the first club I pull out of the bag at the range

That would be my answer also.

In my case I play a 3-4-5 hybrid, so I'm addressing the 6 iron.

If you can't hit the longer irons, no point in having them.

For me the 8i tells me what I need to know, but, I also don't bag below a 6i.

I am most comfortable with an 8i in my hand so I would say 8i

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably 7 iron for me.

3 5 9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd go with the 7. Middle of the set. If I like that the next club I hit is the 4

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I would actually prefer the 7i if I had to choose one to do a fitting with. It splits my iron set for me, the 4-6i's would be incrementally harder to hit and the 8-PW would be incrementally easier to hit. I believe it would give me reasonable expectations from from ends.

My thoughts exactly.

I would go with the 6. It is a good transition club between, what I call a mid iron, to short irons.

Another vote for 7-iron. I think that club gives me a good balance in evaluating forgiveness with precision.

Back