2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick Google search got me this quote from the source I quote the most, Mark Rippetoe

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?p=46270

Mark Rippetoe:
It might be later in that chapter on the same subject where he points out that once the bar leaves the ground, the worst thing it can do is decelerate, and that the inevitable pulling down and forward of the scapulae with heavy deadlifts will cause the bar to decelerate between the floor and the top position.

I think if you're supplementing deadlifts with other lifts that improve your shoulder girdle stability (the farmers walk specifically) you'll find the shoulder is plenty stable without the need for conscious engagement and retraction of the scapulae. One last thing, as someone who used to retract the shoulder blades for deadlifts (for the record, I had it corrected by a Crossfit instructor): Once you start pulling very heavy weight (I'd say at double your bodyweight or more), the desire to pinch your shoulder blades together, especially knowing they sag or drop to a neutral position in response to the load, makes the lifter more inclined to try to jerk the weight off the ground.

It might be later in that chapter on the same subject where he points out that once the bar leaves the ground, the worst thing it can do is decelerate, and that the inevitable pulling down and forward of the scapulae with heavy deadlifts will cause the bar to decelerate between the floor and the top position.

I think if you're supplementing deadlifts with other lifts that improve your shoulder girdle stability (the farmers walk specifically) you'll find the shoulder is plenty stable without the need for conscious engagement and retraction of the scapulae. One last thing, as someone who used to retract the shoulder blades for deadlifts (for the record, I had it corrected by a Crossfit instructor): Once you start pulling very heavy weight (I'd say at double your bodyweight or more), the desire to pinch your shoulder blades together, especially knowing they sag or drop to a neutral position in response to the load, makes the lifter more inclined to try to jerk the weight off the ground.
And you know who was responsible for teaching the basic barbell lifts to Crossfit instructors and trainees?

And you know who was responsible for teaching the basic barbell lifts to Crossfit instructors and trainees?

Then, he either got fired, or resigned, depending on who you ask.

Let's just say it was a less than mutual parting of ways.

Both have a big following and there are some greats no one has ever heard of. Ultimately, everyone should decide for themselves what is working best for them.

Used to be Mark, before they tried to convince him to do Double Unders. Rippetoe hate double unders.

More accurately, Rippetoe disliked a lot of the stupid programming that was taking place, along with the sort of generalized lack of progressive training that takes place at many CF establishments, and no longer wanted to be associated with CF unless they implemented changes. That didn't work into Saint Glassman's vision of how the Church of Latter Day Fitness should be organized. In the interest of fairness, I agree with Mark in the general sense that there are a too many stupid programmers for CF. I think there are mostly a lot of stupid athletes in CF.

On that note, here's a very NSFW video (due to bitter veteran levels of foul language and vulgarity) about how to be a Crossfitter.

On that note, here's a very NSFW video (due to bitter veteran levels of foul language and vulgarity) about how to be a Crossfitter.

Also, nsfw

2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Quick question. Would like to get an opinion on this anomaly of the weight lifting world.
How is it that women can gain mass in their glutes with the squat, whereas it's "not enough" when it comes to guys? You know you have all heard it. Those bros that will say "look at that a**. You know she squats". And then the same guys will say that you have to do other exercises, such as straight leg deadlifts, to get proper muscle fiber activation in the glutes to make any size gains. What gives? How is it sufficient for women to grow a rear end with squats, but not guys? Or, how ridiculous is this statement? Any opinion, BG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick question. Would like to get an opinion on this anomaly of the weight lifting world.
How is it that women can gain mass in their glutes with the squat, whereas it's "not enough" when it comes to guys? You know you have all heard it. Those bros that will say "look at that a**. You know she squats". And then the same guys will say that you have to do other exercises, such as straight leg deadlifts, to get proper muscle fiber activation in the glutes to make any size gains. What gives? How is it sufficient for women to grow a rear end with squats, but not guys? Or, how ridiculous is this statement? Any opinion, BG?

Girls wear heals often.

Plus, most guys squat like lazy panzies. They quarter squat or half squat at best.

All of those heavy squats take time away from tri's and bi's

Girls wear heals often.

Plus, most guys squat like lazy panzies. They quarter squat or half squat at best.

All of those heavy squats take time away from tri's and bi's

Just wanted an opinion. Getting ready to cut out anything that isn't a compound lift from my routines. (Except skull crushers and curls)

Just wanted an opinion. Getting ready to cut out anything that isn't a compound lift from my routines. (Except skull crushers and curls)

I honestly believe it's because guys don't squat to depth. Because that's hard.

I know you know this, but the leg press isn't squats.

HIIT done for the day. I was going to get it knocked out this morning, but the alarm went off and I said screw that and slept for another 45 minutes. Only thing I am still struggling with in my HIIT routine is lunge jumps, I just can't do it for the full 35 seconds and have to switch to lunges for the last 10 or so, everything else is hard but manageable.

I honestly believe it's because guys don't squat to depth. Because that's hard.

I know you know this, but the leg press isn't squats.

The leg press isn't the leg press when you put 9 plates on each side and just lay there twitching your knees a little bit.....
When I squat, my butt touches my Achilles before I start back up. Also, for a "glute" exercise, I like to squat on the (blacklisted) Smith machine. I just put my feet out about a foot in front of my body and do squats. Hits the ol' rear end pretty hard.

The leg press isn't the leg press when you put 9 plates on each side and just lay there twitching your knees a little bit.....
When I squat, my butt touches my Achilles before I start back up. Also, for a "glute" exercise, I like to squat on the (blacklisted) Smith machine. I just put my feet out about a foot in front of my body and do squats. Hits the ol' rear end pretty hard.

Low bar squats, standard deadlifts, oly lifts. That will blast everything in the lower half.

With low bar position squats, ATG is unnecessary. All you need to go is below parallel.

Please don't use the Smith Machine. Single plane movement is bad for the body. Just saying. :)

Please don't use the Smith Machine. Single plane movement is bad for the body. Just saying. :)
It can be used as a chin up station, or an inverted row station. And that is it. Anything else, nope.

Meh. I just use it for one very specific exercise. It's not gonna kill me. And I get good results from it.

Meh. I just use it for one very specific exercise. It's not gonna kill me. And I get good results from it.

If you squated to below parallel and not ATG, you would keep your glutes in constant tension and allow for heavier loads and thusly, good results.

If you squated to below parallel and not ATG, you would keep your glutes in constant tension and allow for heavier loads and thusly, good results.

Stop making all that sense. ATG was something I was proud of. I can get what you're saying, though. That first push always throws me off when I'm coming up super heavy. Obviously my glutes aren't activated....

Stop making all that sense. ATG was something I was proud of. I can get what you're saying, though. That first push always throws me off when I'm coming up super heavy. Obviously my glutes aren't activated....

ATG is great for front squats. Since it's similar to the catch and rack for a clean.

The below video is me from last night. I am not an impressive lifter, but I think the form here is pretty top notch. For purposes of strength and your glutes gains, this is as deep as you need to go.

ATG is great for front squats. Since it's similar to the catch and rack for a clean.

The below video is me from last night. I am not an impressive lifter, but I think the form here is pretty top notch. For purposes of strength and your glutes gains, this is as deep as you need to go.

The only question I have is HOW DO YOU LIFT WITH THAT "MUSIC"?!?!?!

The only question I have is HOW DO YOU LIFT WITH THAT "MUSIC"?!?!?!

Haha. That's my jam!!!!

Haha. That's my jam!!!!

Read this post. Saw your avatar. Couldn't get this out of my head.

Probably doesn't help that it's my ringtone. I should probably get out more.

But yeah, dudes don't like doing ass to grass squats because they suck at mobility. Personal experience, the average 19 year old Private in the Army can't squat past parallel without his heels coming off the ground and his knees moving forward of his toes. Some of that is because they're not taught the proper mechanics of how to move their butt back first and then down, and some of that is simply a total lack of mobility. The sad part is how many of them still squat, but can't move weight, and don't learn that they can't move weight because they lack the range of motion to put themselves into position to drive that weight back to a standing position.

Ok that guy got back to me this afternoon and said he'd do a grand for all the stuff I wanted minus a few dumbells. Now im sure he threw that out because he knows I'll counter lol anyways he said

Dumbbells with rack 5-30 (he sold 35-50) which is fine because I wouldn't use those

45 bar with 300lbs in plates

Half rack with hooks, safety arms, and pull up pegs. I originally thought it was a full cage so idk if he sold that or I misunderstood. Is there a huge difference or is one much better?

Bench

And he had 5 ellipticals so he said he'd include one. (My roommate wants one so he'd pitch in).

He had a 2 station home gym kinda thing with cables (not sure what they're called)for sale which would be nice for rows and such. That would be extra but it kinda intrigued me as well.

What do you think guys? What's a decent number on all that? Im excited because it would be like pretty much everything id need if my roommate will go in with me I could afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back