Are you a Showroomer? Do you buy golf equipment locally or online?

Clubs = Mostly online/classifieds. Clothes & smaller accessories = stores.

I do and will continue to do a little of both... everybody likes a deal but sometimes F2F customer service is more important than price, besides I always ask for a discount if I buy in pro shop or retailer, all they can do is say no.

Whenever I buy clubs, I like to get reviews from the testers, and read articles on them in Golf magazine. I also stop into the big name sports stores to see and feel the clubs I might be interested in, then once I've done that homework, I'll go on-line and purchase the club(s) I'm interested in because I can get a much better price that way. The major sports stores have way too much overhead costs added to their prices. I wouldn't be surprised if they go out of business in the near future.

I am about 50/50 as well. I buy clothes, shoes, balls at my local PGA SS. I hit everything there before I buy anything. I will buy clubs there if I don't need anything customized, if it's custom I order direct from OEM since I get it faster usually. I bought my P790's direct from TM, but I bought my M1 driver and M2 fairways at PGA SS because I was going to swap the shafts on those myself with shafts I already had.

I rarely go into golf stores so for equipment I see/test at demo days or my local range/pro shop. If buying new I usually get a better deal from my fitter than online so I order from him

Both for me. I try to support the local golf shop when possible because it's the only one around and I want them to succeed. But sometimes, a deal online is just way too good to pay full price in the store.

I guess I'm old fashioned.

If I am demoing or otherwise checking something out in a b&m, I prefer to give that store the business. If being able to see/hold/try it is giving me a buy decision that I wouldn't have made if I were just buying online, I consider them bringing some value.

That doesn't mean that I ignore a good deal if one exists. I'll give them a chance to beat that deal or at least come close.

Usually I'll buy through my proshop or online. Unless it happens to be clothing or on a used rack at a nice price, I know the prices I can find online will be better.

I'm a little of both. If I have trade bait and I don't feel like selling it online, I'll buy off the rack. Golf stores for me are more about putter pondering and clothes/accessories. Helps that the closest one that doesn't suck is a healthy little drive. The Golf Galaxy near here is a glorified Dick's when it comes to club selection.

Online is so much cheaper

Very rarely do I buy clubs other than a putter at a retail shop. I normally demo on the range and on the course a few times through my club and then order from them to my specs. I do buy fairway woods and drivers on eBay used but lately, it's mostly been from the CPO store.

I rarely purchase brick and mortar unless it's last minute accessories and I have an urgent need. I buy almost exclusively online.

I may check something out in a showroom but have always ordered clubs online.

Every thing but my 6h, Driver, 3w I bought in components and built. Shortened driver and 3 wood shafts. Was the cheapest way for me since stock shafts on irons are normally too light and it is fun.

I have always bought 99% of my clubs in my life at the golf course. I want my money going into the pocket of someone I know personally when it comes to clubs.

I'm more often than not a showroomer with most of my purchases if the online price is cheaper...if everything is equal, then I would probably lean towards buying locally from stores/people I like.

My track record with buying online without first trying is pretty bad. I wait for a sale/demo days at my local golf center and work with them. If I absolutely cannot get what I want through them, (the two putters I currently own, for example), then I go online. I've been to the nearest PGA SS (two hours away) and may give them an audition the next time I'm in the market for clubs, only because they have so many more options on the floor.

My golf purchase are almost 100% online. I use amazon for the majority of my other shopping. I need to find a local grocery store that delivers.

Pretty healthy mix for me. I buy a fair amount online and a fair amount in store.

Usually online 2nd hand

I’m a Showroomer. I only buy golf accessories or clothes in store, otherwise I’m online looked for the best deal.

For me, i'm online buying just about every time. I don't need to feel if I like it. All I need is new (used but great shape) and i'm all, "New shiny things" and ordering at a price usually cheaper than at brick and mortar store.

I buy a lot online, but not my clubs. I get fit and purchase in person

I'll usually demo at a local retailer but look for it cheaper online. If I have something to trade in I'll buy locally occasionally but that's maybe 25% of the time.

I haven't even been in a real golf store since 2013.

Online, sight unseen for me, I know my specs. Not saying I'm right, I just know what I go with.

Back