Are you a Showroomer? Do you buy golf equipment locally or online?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Showrooming is whats known as the practice of examining merchandise in a traditional brick and mortar retail store or other offline setting and then buying it online, sometimes at a lower price.

I know me personally I like to see products in hand and typically take a few swings and even get some info before making a purchase, most stores these days allow you to do this for free. However I will admit I am guilty of buying a some stuff online because often times it is less expensive and to be honest I like getting packages in the mail haha.

So are you guilty of showrooming or do you purchase directly from the store? If so why? To add to the question what about a good fitting that you pay for? Often times the cost of a fitting can be offset by purchasing direct. Do you pay for a thorough fitting and then go buy online once you know your specs or do you buy from the fitter direct?

Depending on the OEM I buy sight unseen. Usually Callaway is sight unseen but anything Taylormade or titleist has to be seen in person and I'll usually purchase Instore whatever I tested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little of both. Depends on the deal and also if I'm trading something in. VERY unlikely to buy locally unless I'm doing a trade-in.

Equipment is always tested and fitted at Demo Days at our club. Depending on brand is how and where I buy after that because I am able to get products at wholesale or less depending on whom I purchase from.

I have done it both ways. I like to get some swings in if I can before purchase.

If at all possible I'm going to compare in hand before I purchase. I know some will consider me a sucker because there are cheaper ways to do it but I also prefer to buy locally. I've been back into golf a little over three years and I've seen most of the local outlets either close their doors, completely remove all hard goods from their inventory, or severely limit their inventory. My club and the sole remaining golf only shop here know I'll open my wallet for the correct product and I am treated very well by them now.

I'm a little of both. Sometimes I buy online and sometimes I buy from a store. Just depends on what it is, what the price difference is and how quickly I need it.

Little of both. Depends on the deal and also if I'm trading something in. VERY unlikely to buy locally unless I'm doing a trade-in.

This is me!

All about price for me. I want the cheapest, if I cant get that in a store that I try something in, so be it.

A little of both. If I know exactly waht IPwant will but online and many times at the preowned online from Callaway, TM, and others. If I hve questions I ALWAYS go to my local golf store where I can hit anything and see if I like before I buy.

If at all possible I'm going to compare in hand before I purchase. I know some will consider me a sucker because there are cheaper ways to do it but I also prefer to buy locally. I've been back into golf a little over three years and I've seen most of the local outlets either close their doors, completely remove all hard goods from their inventory, or severely limit their inventory. My club and the sole remaining golf only shop here know I'll open my wallet for the correct product and I am treated very well by them now.

Would you say that the practice of trying in store and then buying online is one of the major reasons that these local stores are closing?

I try my best to not give any Alberta golf town my money.

Would you say that the practice of trying in store and then buying online is one of the major reasons that these local stores are closing?

I think it factors in for sure. I was all over trying all the new, fueled by joining THP and just getting back into golf. The retailers were annoyed at first, assuming that was my game, until they realized it wasn't. One thing smaller local retailers said hurt them was the bigger OEMs undercutting them on their official site after stocking them to be local distributors. If buy backs were offered the local retailer took a huge loss in many instances. One of my favorite local PGA pros (sold me my first new driver after I returned to golf in 2014) has been driving trucks OTR instead of working as a pro the past year+. He eventually got so far behind the big OEM shell game trying to keep stocks current. Mother nature and the recession didn't treat him well either but his real 'burnout' revolved around ever increasing equipment debts.

I get a lot of info right here at THP.
Where I live the biggest retail stores are 1 1/2 hours away, Cheyenne WY. And Denver CO is 3 hours away. So yes I do go to the retail stores to just look. But I buy everything online, its cheaper.
Yes the courses here have clubs but their price is marked up.
No I've never had a fitting nor will I spend the money on one, not in the budget.
I can't actually remember the last time I even tried a club out, not to sound pompous but I'm 37 and I've been playing since I was 10, so through the years of trial and error I guess you can call it, I know where I'm at with what clubs work for me, length, loft, lie, ect.
What I read and what I think about generally works for me.
It's 100% common for me to just pick something online and go with it.

I tend to do a bit of both.

I bought my driver at my local driving range/pro shop after being fit for it, my irons at golftec after getting fit there and my putter at a second hand golf store in Calgary but the rest of my clubs I got online.

Not many places to test equipment here so I tend to stick with online

50/50 for me. If it’s a special order I’ll do it in store. I purchase a lot of clubs online after messing around with them in store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, it depends 100% on the customer service in the store. If it's dog crap (like most customer service these days) I'm more than happy to buy on line for a lower price.

Can't remember the last time I bought a club elsewhere besides online. I only have the opportunity to visit retailers that sell real golf equipment a few times a year.

Since PGASS opened I am buying more in store because I get a level of service that warrants the purchase. I still shop online, but I also know if I don't support brick and mortar I lose it.

I'm pretty random so a little bit of everything. I'm not opposed to buying in a big store but I prefer to support my local pro shops since they are usually way more accommodating with everything surrounding a purchase.
Being in Canada we don't have near as good access to online shops or deals after exchange and shipping, duties and taxes so it's nice to have some green grass relationships if you're a club ho.

I do both, but the majority of purchases are locally in the store. My local GG is really good and I know the manager, and the service they give is really good. I have bought some clubs from Callaway preowned, and also will buy online if I'm looking for something GG doesn't carry.

I'll typically showroom it and do some scouting around if I can find it cheaper online. If not I'll buy it direct.

Always about the cheapest option unless I need it quickly (broken club, club work, etc.)

I have done both and from a small shop fitter, I prefer to use the small shop fitter or like I did today at an OEM Fitting center. The prices are the same or even a bit lower (today they were since they do so much Sales volume) and I get to interact with a real fitter that does it for a living and he has all the tools on hand to make any adjustments after the sale.

Mostly online, especially if I can find them cheaper than in the store. Most of the time, customer service is not great, but there are some exceptions.

Back