30 Yards in Front of Green...whatcha Got?

Im curious, how miss the green when attempting this shot. I saw tons of answer on what people would use. But is what you're doing, working?

I can always pull a chunk or a blade out of the bag, but from 30 yards I am usually on the green. For me, I am not as confident trying to fly it close to the hole and trying to make it not roll out. Those pitch shots for me wind up as a chunk, blade or even the "S" word a much higher percentage than when I try to chip it on and roll it to the hole.

1/4 swing with a 54 degree wedge choked down to the shaft. I need to make sure to make a hearty follow-through and finish facing the target. I've made several hole-outs for birdie with this.

7i bump & run is my go-to.

1. Stand tall & closer to ball.
2. Choke down, club toe slightly down.
3. Simple pendulum swing, mostly shoulder action (very little hand/wrist movement).

I expanded on what Jim Furyk teaches in this video. Hard to mess up this shot.

If I have some green to work with I will play a 9 iron. If not I will use a 56 wedge

As my father, and every pro I've learned from, taught me, get the ball on the ground rolling as quickly as possible. So, I'd hit a little chip and run with anything from a 7-9 iron. Play it like a putter. I just saw a video from Butch Harmon saying it, Jim McLean, and Dave Pelz. Loft is the enemy and brings in too many chances for a bad shot. Bump and run is the highest % shot.
I love this shot, but it is annoying in the summer in South Florida. Never fails you bump the ball into the one soft spot on the fringe or land in a patch of softer grass which kills the spin. Hence why I learned to use a lower wedge and fly it onto the green and let it release.

Lately, I've taken my 54* and played it as a long chip or pitch shot, really just look for my landing spot and hope to run it up.

54* opened slightly and take my hands back to about 8 o'clock with very little wrist action and hold the face open during the follow through to create maximum spin.

I had a feeling this thread was coming from you Mike.

For me it's almost exclusively a 60* shot, that I'll play either to roll out or try to stop. completely depending on pin location and green contours.

I'm not as sharp with it as I was due to lack of play and practice this year.

Mike you got to commit to the shot, stay down on it and quit flipping at it. You had the shot in the bag before and executed it well Sunday when you did the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumbs down above .

As my father, and every pro I've learned from, taught me, get the ball on the ground rolling as quickly as possible. So, I'd hit a little chip and run with anything from a 7-9 iron. Play it like a putter. I just saw a video from Butch Harmon saying it, Jim McLean, and Dave Pelz. Loft is the enemy and brings in too many chances for a bad shot. Bump and run is the highest % shot.
True. But here, I would say get the ball on the green rolling as quick as possible. You never know how soft the front of the green might be. If I land the shot on the fringe or on fairway and have to roll trough some of it, it becomes a low percentage shot. When I get to use my 8i like a putter, and land it on the green, I expect to have a short putt left and holing it would not be a fluke. However, that shot flies about third of the way, and rolls the rest. From 30 yards, there seldom is enough green for this.

I want to find a reasonable level landing spot, on the green. Most often, this means a 54*, sometimes 58*. If there is a lot of green to work with, 50* would sometimes be club that best satisfies the above. However, that is so seldom that I still hit the 54*, as that shot gets about ten times more practice than the 50* 30 yarder ever would.

Here's one I had today. I usually try to use a 56 or 60 and chip this close, which some times work and some times doesn't. Today, I used my PW and did a bump and run, which got to gimme territory for the par. And even if I mis hit it, I'm still putting, just from further away. I'm a fan.

abfba77bb89c34958d58f053068d5517.jpg

Sadly I'm deeply in love with my Cleveland 60* wedge and I use it for pretty much every shot near the green when my putter is not an option.

Take my 55*, set it middle of stance, take it back about 1/4 and full follow through - **it should** land just short and roll up nicely

I'd have to have the shot to say for sure. I play by feel, so it would be whatever I feel that day. I use all the clubs in my bag except the driver for shots around the green.

I just helped someone today with this same 30 yard shot around the green.

There are so many ways to play this shot. Depending upon your lie also requires a different club and technique.

Most of the time 30 yards off the green you are in the rough which believe it or not makes this shot a little easier. (easier to come in shallow) The reason why I think so many golfers struggle with this shot is because they are not comfortable with swinging the club in an open position. (the club face should be pointing towards the sky)

The better you get comfortable with opening the golf club the better and more versatile your short games becomes.

Just remember to open the golf club then take your grip and adjust your stance in the open position for however much you opened the face.

Experiment with the face open and be VERY slow with your tempo and hitting the ball higher will be much easier.

I had 2 of these shots in todays round.
The first was slightly down hill so I used my 56* wedge to come in a little softer with a little roll. The ball ended up about 6 feet short of the pin and I lipped out the par.

The second one was somewhat uphill. I could be more aggressive with this one so I used my 52* wedge to come in a little lower. The ball ended up 2 feet from the pin and I saved par.

For a long time these shots drove me insane. I practiced the hell out of them and found that they are now my favorites. These shots allow for creativity and such a reward.

Pin Tight Front - 60 deg and try to zip it back

Pin center - 46deg throw it right at the pin and try to stop it after one bounce

Pin Back - 46deg closed down hold off on the spin and let it run out.

Me, I like to be very very aggressive which is either awesome or brutal.

Number 1 need for these shots is that you need to commit completely to the shot you are going to hit. If i try to control distance by changing speed mid swing or getting flippy then it gets ugly.

temporary.jpg_zpsbc1ymut0.png

I got nothin'

Gap wedge and keep it low unless the green is severely elevated or pin short sided.

It really matters for me.
What's ,my lie?
Am I short sided? Is there bunker/Water between?
What's the condition of Rough/Fringe?

I will hit a 1/4 56* without trouble
Open up and hit a 1/2 58* with trouble.
If I am not hitting wedges well, I may bump and run a PW or 9I to the pin.

Back