Jordan Spieth Back to Old Irons

I'd guess comfort and we'll see a switch after the President's Cup. His play may not have had a thing to do with it, either, but golfers always like to blame something other than themselves. It's just part of the mental game. It's always the club -> :angry:

I thought I read last week it was his driving that was atrocious?

I can't imagine he did nt game the new answers a bit off the course. I think it is comfort thing and he will have the new irons in the bag once 2015/2016 season rolls around.

I think like most of us, just takes time to get used to new gear. I dont think he wants to go through the pains of that with so much on the line.

I agree 100%

Irons/wedges are always tough to change for me. When I find something I like, I tend to stick to it unless something just blows it away in the performance department.

I think its really just peace of mind. One less thing you are thinking about, especially for Speith who could be thinking "Man I was on fire with my old irons, I wonder if that is was is causing all these missed cuts".

Heck, how many people change clubs and think they were better off before.

Smart move, work with the new clubs after the Fedex.

10 million on the line, I know I wouldn't be changing.

I can't see why he would have switched in the first place. He was killing it all year. It makes zero sense to change when you are playing so well. Kudos to him for recognizing the obvious: for now, the old irons are the irons to be gaming for the rest of the season.

I would stick with what works, tough to away from the latest and greatest sometimes

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I bet its a comfort thing...

Aren't Phils irons from 2013?

That's the thing irons don't really change all that much. I could throw some Eye 2's in the bag go out and kill it

I think its smart of Jordan if anything about them felt uncomfortable during tourny play. Eventually I bet he switches over.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Given how old and worn his putter and putter grip is, I would say comfort.

Is it normal for a player to put a new set of irons into play into what I am assuming was a fairly significant tournament last week?

I know that in the heat of the post-season, I wouldn't want to change a thing unless I saw immediate results. It's obvious Jordan didn't, so it's gotta be a comfort thing. If he didn't like them, that would not be a ringing endorsement...

Is it normal for a player to put a new set of irons into play into what I am assuming was a fairly significant tournament last week?
Last week was the least significant tourney Jordan was going to play of the last six, so if he was tempted to see if something new would help, last week was the time.

Last week was the least significant tourney Jordan was going to play of the last six, so if he was tempted to see if something new would help, last week was the time.
Yes in a way it's a tourney that doesn't have a huge impact on the playoff race, if any for the top guys. But do you really want to start chasing that 10 million dollars with that club change fail running around in your head. Sure as a pro they bounce back from bad outings like it never happened but,,,,,not the thought process I would want to deal with.

I'm not sure why he would change right at the beginning of the four tournaments that lead to the biggest payday. I imagine if he could go back and do it all over he would wait until after the playoffs to switch.

With $10mil on the line, I'm not sure I would have switched to a new iron unless something was drastically wrong with the old one. Switching back was probably a comfort/mental thing, and in my mind, a smart move.

I think it has to be a comfort and mental thing. They would have these built to his exact specs, tape, grip and swing weight so I doubt it is a feel or performance issue. He played poorly after introducing a "new" variable, so he went back to what has been working. We've seen him play some poor golf in several opening rounds this year after he had a week or two off. No big deal IMO.

I'm going with comfort. I bet after the President's Cup, he will switch back, or switch back to something that is modified to what he wants.

~Rock

Golfers are superstitious, JS just needs to make sure there was no "bad jujumon" on the new sticks.

With that kind of money on the line it has to be the comfort thing.

I read an article about this and Jordan was saying that the new irons felt great when he was warming up on the range and that there were only slightly different when looking down. He said once he got them out on the course they had a different turf interaction and he needed more time to get used to it. He also said that the 716 will be in his bag in the future, just not right now.

Back