"If ____ IS GREAT, look out personal best!"

rbarthle17

One-length advocate
Reaction score
Handicap
cold rain
Really enjoying the answers to the first thread on what is the part of the game you cannot afford to lose. Now let's flip it around and go positive.

Assume a normal day for you otherwise. Nothing about your game is worse than usual. What is the one part of your game that, if it's really on, you have your best shot at going low?

For me, it's iron approaches. As chronicled earlier, lateral accuracy with my irons is my biggest weakness. If I can find that for a round, and have normal days everywhere else, I'm in a place to try and break 80 for the first time. Get me birdie putts, even long ones, and it's a good chance I can walk off with a par. What I need for a PB right now is lots of pars. Birdies are icing on the cake.

If my tee game is on.... Lookout!!

my grasp on reality (still waitin')

Really enjoying the answers to the first thread on what is the part of the game you cannot afford to lose. Now let's flip it around and go positive.

Assume a normal day for you otherwise. Nothing about your game is worse than usual. What is the one part of your game that, if it's really on, you have your best shot at going low?

For me, it's iron approaches. As chronicled earlier, lateral accuracy with my irons is my biggest weakness. If I can find that for a round, and have normal days everywhere else, I'm in a place to try and break 80 for the first time. Get me birdie putts, even long ones, and it's a good chance I can walk off with a par. What I need for a PB right now is lots of pars. Birdies are icing on the cake.

Probably iron approaches, though I've gotten pretty good with chips and pitches around the green. It's the damn fat and thin shots after a good drive that really gets in my head and causes me to fall apart.

Approach shots between 220-100, my lack of GIR kills me usually.

Wedge play. If it is on, I can score pretty well.

If my putting is on, I can make a lot of birdies fast.

This one is easy, if I'm rolling it well and they start falling??? It resonates through the rest of the bag.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

The driver for sure. I must have hit 6 fairway bunkers and maybe 3 fairways today. My less than stellar score showed it too. My misses were all in the worste spots possible too.... Sigh

Whatever I'm using off the tee.

On this side of the game when I have a chance to score low my putter has to be kicking in on all cylinders. I don't care how well you strike the ball tee to green, the flat stick has to be hot.

Approach shots for me. I putt well enough and drive the ball well enough that if I can get a few close, I'm bound to make some and at the very least have some stress free pars.

Driving/tee game and or putting

My driving. If my tempo is in order and I'm playing the tee game I know I can, I'm leaving mid irons into greens and I can get aggressive.

Iron/hybrid approach game. If I can rack up 9 or 10 GIR as opposed to my usual 5 or 6, with decent birdie looks on half of those, I'm gonna have a really good day.

If my iron play is on... then look out....

#OWN125 for me, if all else is "normal". If I'm stuffing my shots from inside 125 close and I'm good around the greens, I'm going to score well, even if I hit the occasional crooked drive or miss a green with a mid iron.

Putting. Whenever I have been able to eliminate as many 3 putts as I can, I am usually very close to my PB's.

Irons for sure. If I'm hitting a pile of GIR with many good birdie chances of <20 feet then there is a strong chance that I'll go really low

Putting. If I can make those tough par saves and maybe roll in a few birdies I can scare my PB.

Putting. Converting makeable par putts is huge.

I'd say putting. Even on a good day I'm bad at it. If I sink a few, that's my best chance at flirting with a personal best. I just had a personal best in Monday, and I think a lot of it had to do with only three 3 putts.

A close second would be my tee game. I sometimes hit the ball long, and sometimes hit it straight. The two rarely collide, though. When they do it makes everything a lot easier. I'm hoping my new SLDR mini will help this, as I hit it great on the range during my "try it out" session today.

So I'm playing to a 16 right now, so usually one or two things are 'off' during a typical round so it is hard to nail down the one thing.... As long as of the tee I am not putting a few balls out of bounds, I would say I need my wedge game to be on to score well. When it one, I cam paper over a lot of holes. Typically inside of 125 yards is the best part of my game so for me to score that needs to be on.

i can also think of this a little differently. If I can survive par 3s (by far my worst holes), I will score in the eighties most of the time. I lose so many shots off them. I was plus 10 on the par threes today.

Driving game is on, look out!

Back