The Powerball and Mega Millions Wanna win it thread

1) Quit job
2) Buy a nice large house (not too big)
3) Join an amazing golf club (Hideaway anyone?)
4) Help out family members
5) Donate some to charity

I must be the only one that wouldn't quit their job. I'd stick it out until my kids are in college, so another 20 years or so. I want them to see that you have to work to earn a living, not just get lucky.

I must be the only one that wouldn't quit their job. I'd stick it out until my kids are in college, so another 20 years or so. I want them to see that you have to work to earn a living, not just get lucky.
I think most people would just find something they enjoyed more than there current job.

Ohio is one of the few States that would allow a winner to remain anonymous. I would be hard pressed to want to become overly public about it if I did win.

Then again, all they'd need to do is log into THP to know..

I think most people would just find something they enjoyed more than there current job.

I don't see any scenario where I continue to work in my field, however I would start to invest in smaller golf companies to see if they can make a difference. My children would not see a dad sitting in a golf cart all day every day, but there's no way I'm working in an office all week ever again.

I don't see any scenario where I continue to work in my field, however I would start to invest in smaller golf companies to see if they can make a difference. My children would not see a dad sitting in a golf cart all day every day, but there's no way I'm working in an office all week ever again.

If you dont enjoy it and you dont have to why would you? Doesnt make any sense to me, but I completly understand trying to set an example for your kids, just another thing biggy got right.

Ohio is one of the few States that would allow a winner to remain anonymous. I would be hard pressed to want to become overly public about it if I did win.

Then again, all they'd need to do is log into THP to know..

You can in Kansas as well, and I would definitely do that. A group of people would know, but not very many.

I got one number correct, but not the powerball, so no cash for me.

I saw someone (don't know who) posted a picture of their ticket they bought (in Illinois) and they were 1 number off on EVERY number, including the Powerball, how much would that suck?

I saw someone (don't know who) posted a picture of their ticket they bought (in Illinois) and they were 1 number off on EVERY number, including the Powerball, how much would that suck?

haha, I don't know if that's better or worse than being WAY off like my last set of numbers were.

Heading out to Rosie's Den in AZ for my chance at $1.3B+.

haha, I don't know if that's better or worse than being WAY off like my last set of numbers were.

Right? It's sort of like, would you rather loose by 1 stroke, or 21 strokes? Which would make you MORE mad? ha

If you dont enjoy it and you dont have to why would you? Doesnt make any sense to me, but I completly understand trying to set an example for your kids, just another thing biggy got right.

for me, there are so many other factors at play that keep me where i am. i wish it were easier to pick up and try something else, but the damage i'd leave in my wake isn't worth it.

Geez just looked at my ticket from Sat and I had one number. Not a good ratio.

First thing you do is keep your effing mouth shut if you win. Find a broker you trust, an estate lawyer you trust, and redundancy to make sure no one is stealing anything. Then you let a trust or LLC you've created claim the prize. If anyone asks what you do, you're retired. You had an investment pay off and you just ride it out now. Don't want people thinking you've got a ton of money to seed their hair-brained idea and start begging for start-up or anything.

First thing you do is keep your effing mouth shut if you win. Find a broker you trust, an estate lawyer you trust, and redundancy to make sure no one is stealing anything. Then you let a trust or LLC you've created claim the prize. If anyone asks what you do, you're retired. You had an investment pay off and you just ride it out now. Don't want people thinking you've got a ton of money to seed their hair-brained idea and start begging for start-up or anything.

Sound idea. Only problem on my end is, I'm under 40 and don't have much of a 401K to speak of and my wife is a stay at home Mom, so MOST people that know me know that I don't have a ton of extra spending money a lot of the time. lol

BUT....still a good idea that I would try and do.

Sound idea. Only problem on my end is, I'm under 40 and don't have much of a 401K to speak of and my wife is a stay at home Mom, so MOST people that know me know that I don't have a ton of extra spending money a lot of the time. lol

Get new friends.

I am going in on this. I forgot to pick up a ticket Sat.

Just under $500 mil - even splitting that, and an average return of 4%/year, with a LOT of initial spending, I am pretty sure I could live fairly well without working any longer.

Even if I won, tho, I would not pay off my student loans early. Just silly, given the low interest rate I locked into.

Before I would even pick up the money, I would have set everything up, including donations, scholarships, endowed chairs, golf funds (of course).

Would it be silly to ask my club to not charge me dues if I donated a few mil to them? I would still pay for food and clothes, but maybe they could waive the locker room fee?

Work for a few years, spread the word about a new product that you are developing, keep it vague, and in 2 years, retire!!

Work for a few years, spread the word about a new product that you are developing, keep it vague, and in 2 years, retire!!

Good idea!

Only down side is, I work around 60 hours a week and would want to play in a TON of THP Events and that would take away from that. lol

Good idea!

Only down side is, I work around 60 hours a week and would want to play in a TON of THP Events and that would take away from that. lol

My friendship is readily available. hahahahahaha

Spent 16 last week and won 4. WooHoo. Time to buy a few more tix.

What are the pros/cons of lump sum cash vs annualized payout?

If the common belief that the lump sum, if managed 1/2way conservatively, would be worth more in 20 years than taking the annual payout over the next 20 years?

My friendship is readily available. hahahahahaha

OH YES, I can be bought, too! No question about that! ha ha ha ha ha

Spent 16 last week and won 4. WooHoo. Time to buy a few more tix.

What are the pros/cons of lump sum cash vs annualized payout?

If the common belief that the lump sum, if managed 1/2way conservatively, would be worth more in 20 years than taking the annual payout over the next 20 years?

Depends on the lump sum rate of return over the time period of the annuity. You can figure it out, tho, and there is a break even point.

I look at things this way - the tax rate on your winnings will be a one time hit. The tax on the annuity is every year. If you think the tax rate will go down, then take the annuity. If you think the tax rate will go up, take the lump sum (as long as the return on investment over the life of the annuity is the same).

Personally, I believe my tax rate will go up, I believe that I can do better than the annuity rate of return, and that I want to control my money from the beginning - therefore, I will take a lump sum.

Back