Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Hybrid - THP Review Thread

I am looking forward to hitting these.

Wilson Staff infinite putter line in a good example. WS is making a great push to separate Wilson Staff from Wilson and is really releasing some great equipment, including the putters. But when someone walks in and sees Wilson Staff and a putter for $99 rarely do they think "great product at a great price".

This is probably discussion for another thread so I'll bring this back to the club at topic. The sole of this club reminds me of this classic for some reason
e870b960ca29c6b2831f6389aeb37bfa.jpg

A bit off topic, but man was that a good putter.

Nice looking club, definitely like the rounded toe look over the square

I'm also in the camp that strongly prefers the rounded toe over square. That plus the shaft and price point makes this one very interesting - I'd love to give it a demo. I'm gaming pretty old hybrids largely because of my dislike of square toe options that dominate the market these days. Maybe this changes that.

Aaaaaaaaaaalright, this last week I finally got to get out and get some detailed range/monitor time as well as on the course time with the EX9 to really hone in on a few of the things it has going on, particularly the overall setup and the slip-stream sole build.

In terms of what I saw on the monitor with the EX9, it needs to be noted that the club was a good bit lower spinning from the deck than it was from the tee (around 1,000 RPM) and as such a much higher launch was seen off of the tee. With that said though, from both the tee and the deck each shot type hovered right around that 30-31 yard apex point, showing that the ball DOES get up to where most would like to see it from both situations, just in a different launch manner. This clearly comes back to the profile IMO, this one with the slip-stream sole and more shallow type of face screams that it is built for the deck and to be easy up, easy down, and hold onto the green...which it achieves most definitely.

On the course, everything seen has backed up the data saw on the monitor. Definitely leans toward being a deck predominant club IMO, but hittable from the tee still thanks to the lateral forgiveness seen if one can get used to the shallow face from there. Where the most promise has been seen overall is from the intermediate rough and uneven lies, there is DEFINITELY something to the slip-stream sole in the way that it funnels away grass/debris, though I can't help but feel like it would have been even more effective if it was the size/area on the club of the "limited" release featuring the tech which we saw last year. Still, its located on the main point of contact with the turf for the club, so the effectiveness is there.

Ball speeds were solid, honestly pretty expected for TEE with their power channel and brazed cup-face tech they are known for. In fact, given that the price point in the EX9 releases is lower than what we have seen from TEE before, it is really really nice to see them still hold up there performance wise. The ball flight is definitely in the realm of high, and the lightweight recoil pairing undoubtedly aids that, as I said though, the flight off the deck gets up higher faster while from the tee its a more penetrating ascent. Low strikes showed very good ball speed retention and even with the spin drop there they got up to a more than playable range. High off the face is dangerous here with the more shallow face depth, and are punished more than elsewhere on the face not so much directionally, but height and distance wise.

It also bears mentioning that this has an extremely metallic sound to it, not a low pitch one either. Its a very sharp sound that is very high pitched, its not terrible, but its also not nearly as pleasant as others out there. Sure, it won't bother some, but for those who prefer a sound more akin to the lower pitched crack you get off of a long iron in this spot, it could be a bit of a turn-off.

No matter the sound though, the performance has been there. Not ultra long, but really nice forgiveness and good interaction and launch characteristics so far, and to rehash it is very nice to see TEE hitting this price point, it (price) is something that has traditionally been a turnoff for many, but this should definitely help relieve some of that at 159.

Also, grabbed a side by side with the XR for those curious:

20151014_155400_zpsgtkghsal.jpg

Do you think the recoil shaft is a good pairing, or would you prefer a diiferent shaft?

Do you think the recoil shaft is a good pairing, or would you prefer a diiferent shaft?

I honestly like it a lot as a hybrid pairing, personally I wish more would offer it. My reasoning for that though is I like my hybrids to still have some semblance of iron feedback to them, and the recoils were literally designed to bring graphite traits to steel like performance. These are obviously lightweight versions (52g to 84g depending on the flex) compared to the 110/125 Recoils, but it fits well given what weight shafts we typically see in hybrids.

I'm actually in the process of writing this one at this moment, plan on getting out again today to finalize a few things, but if there are any questions at all please don't hesitate to ask!

The CB ProH irons with the Recoil shaft felt great ... no surprise that this proves to be an awesome pairing for the EX9.

Great stuff as always, Jman. Looks like another strong offering from TEE.

Just bought the 5h, so am interested to hear more thoughts on thus one as I wait fit to get here. The head shape was very appealing, I love the shaft and I liked everything I read about forgiveness yet thus being a true iron replacement. I think it will fit in very well where I need it to. The last hybrids I had from TEE were the XCG V and this were great, so I'm looking forward to gaming TEE once again.

Finished up the review on this one earlier this week and I believe it'll go up sometime this next week.

It's a great off the deck club, it was directed toward that and definitely excels there more than off the tee.

How does it compare to the XR in distance?

How does it compare to the XR in distance?
Same distance as my 23* xr, this is a 19*. That said, and it's mentioned in the review coming soon, this plays much more like an iron replacement with intent being ease off the deck as opposed to just trying to be the longest hybrid possible.

That's good to know. Thanks.

Same distance as my 23* xr, this is a 19*. That said, and it's mentioned in the review coming soon, this plays much more like an iron replacement with intent being ease off the deck as opposed to just trying to be the longest hybrid possible.

What do you think makes it shorter in distance ?
Does it have a shorter Shaft length?
Higher launching shaft?
Spinnier head ?

Just odd TEE would put out something shorter than the competition.
I started gaming the Exotics Trilogy hybrids 3 or 4 seasons ago and each year test them against the current crop of hybrids and they are always on par if not longer than much of competition.

What do you think makes it shorter in distance ?
Does it have a shorter Shaft length?
Higher launching shaft?
Spinnier head ?

Just odd TEE would put out something shorter than the competition.
I started gaming the Exotics Trilogy hybrids 3 or 4 seasons ago and each year test them against the current crop of hybrids and they are always on par if not longer than much of competition.

As I've mentioned earlier in here the head spins quite a bit more off the tee and with the more shallow profile this has compared to the other tee hybrids I've hit it lends it seeing diminishing returns there thanks to less surface area to miss vertically off the tee. Dan is/has seen similar spin differentials out of the ex9 fairway so I'm not alone there when testing on a monitor.

This is not built to be a bomber hybrid release, I'll defend that belief until then end based on all I saw during testing. But it offers a ton of benefits off the deck, namely the fact that the slipstream sole truly works.

Do they have a similar launch angle then, or do you think the xr is generating more ball speed?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

As I've mentioned earlier in here the head spins quite a bit more off the tee and with the more shallow profile this has compared to the other tee hybrids I've hit it lends it seeing diminishing returns there thanks to less surface area to miss vertically off the tee. Dan is/has seen similar spin differentials out of the ex9 fairway so I'm not alone there when testing on a monitor.

This is not built to be a bomber hybrid release, I'll defend that belief until then end based on all I saw during testing. But it offers a ton of benefits off the deck, namely the fact that the slipstream sole truly works.

Ok thanks

Nice review. Price point and given my 4 year old Exotics Trilogy hybrids are looking a little beat up will warrant a look from me. Can't wait for our local demo day that Tour Edge attends each year (too bad it's 7 months away lol)

James, very detailed and informative review. The price point is set that opens this to be a good option for many.

Cool. I have a 5h coming my way, so am glad to see more details and insight on it.

Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Hybrid - THP Review Thread

The 5h in regular flex arrived today, so I took it to the range for a proper meeting. The club itself looks great, a nice gloss finish. The slip stream thing looks solid; I was a little worried it would be delicate and possibly break off, but after seeing it in person I don't think it would happen. I was hoping the head was a little smaller, but the black hides some of the shape and it's not large by any means. I'd say a tad bigger than my j15 and similar shape. I really like the weighting and the balance of the club; one of the reasons I stopped using the Jetspeed was because it was so head heavy, but this is not the case with this one. The headcover is a little much. It's just as big as my fairway wood covers.

fca337e63c73d36ef39e22786e8bd395.jpg

a0778ef268857d9e31a91a3fcab8125b.jpg

ef48efe7b90f6360628f14b1452b60e4.jpg

Performance wise, I think James' review is very accurate. It didn't go some insane distance, and TBH I didn't want it to. It did well, however, to stay within a 10-12 yard range for me and filled the exact distance gap I needed. The club was very forgiving, meaning there were times I hit off my back foot, hit it real low on the face and cut the hell out of it and really, the ball still took off like I hit it well. I saw a pretty high ball flight, which I'm pleased with. I want this to land softly, not roll out. It's much different than the XCG V, which was mid to low and would run forever. I was seeing a little bit of a distance gain off the tee.

The sound at impact is metallic and a little different from the norm, but I enjoyed the feel at impact a lot, kind of a nice little pop to it.

The 5h is a club I rely on a lot and it has to be consistent in order for me to play well. I liked how this club was consistent for me and stayed within a very precise distance range. I had zero bad shots with it, out of probably 30. It's exactly what I was hoping for and while it was the first range session with it, I'm pretty optimistic it will stay on the bag.

Last edited:
Philly
Nice review.

Any chance you could provide some measurements for me ?

How tall the face is in the center?
How wide the face is ?
How large the head is from from to back ?

Would like to see how it compares to my Trilogy 5h.

Back