Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

Got these bad boys out for another range session. These clubs just do exactly what you want. Hit high draw, Hit a low draw, Hit a high fade, Hit a low Fade, Hit it high, and hit it low. These clubs do it all. I am so happy made the change from my Apex Pro's. I cannot wait to get them on the course. I am in such love with the set of irons added the AW wedge and dropped my 50* wedge.

Last edited:
Mine are in the shop today getting some blue MCC Plus 4's put on and getting the loft/lie checked. Everything should be set with them now!

I've never been this happy with a set of irons I dont think, I enjoyed the originals, but with these I've become MORE addicted to them the more that I play them.

I hit some wicked shots the last few days with them, including a 6i on a par 3 today from 207 to 3 feet, it was a bit downhill for sure (slope laser prob would have said 192) but still, it was a high draw that landed like a sack of flour.

Best thing though, the misses are playable, shockingly playable.

So effing phenomenal.

I've never been this happy with a set of irons I dont think, I enjoyed the originals, but with these I've become MORE addicted to them the more that I play them.

I hit some wicked shots the last few days with them, including a 6i on a par 3 today from 207 to 3 feet, it was a bit downhill for sure (slope laser prob would have said 192) but still, it was a high draw that landed like a sack of flour.

Best thing though, the misses are playable, shockingly playable.

So effing phenomenal.

I hit a majestic 6 iron last time out from 190 and couldn't believe how quickly it sat down. Literally one pace from the divot

My brothers set is in. Should get to at least hit them at the range this weekend :) Really looking forward to it as his specs are pretty much the same as mine.

Played today with my set and had an absolute blast. The more swings I take the more confident I am and in turn the better results I'm seeing. There was another set I was itching to try but after the last 2 rounds I really don't want to take these out of the bag as the results just keep getting better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hit a majestic 6 iron last time out from 190 and couldn't believe how quickly it sat down. Literally one pace from the divot
Its absurd dude, they're just song freaking good.

Curious to hear what distances other people are getting with the CF16s.

These are the general distances I've come to expect on a normal swing. I've seen more & less depending on the quality of the swing & weather factors. I'm looking forward to seeing if these #s hold up at sea level when I'm playing in Florida in a few days.

5i:180-185
6i: 170-175
7i: 160-165
8i:140-145
9i: 130-135
PW:120-125
GW: 95-100

The only thing that bugs me a little is the separation between the PW & the GW. I don't have any trouble managing a similar gap between the 8i & 7i for some reason.

Currently (based off looking at some of my most recent LM #'s):

6i: 185-190
7i: 175-180
8i: 165-170
9i: 155-160
PW:145-150
AW:135-140

These are the general distances I've come to expect on a normal swing. I've seen more & less depending on the quality of the swing & weather factors. I'm looking forward to seeing if these #s hold up at sea level when I'm playing in Florida in a few days.

The only thing that bugs me a little is the separation between the PW & the GW. I don't have any trouble managing a similar gap between the 8i & 7i for some reason.

Our numbers are fairly close except for the GW where I see 105-110 and the SW is 95-100

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12-15 yards is actually the "ideal" difference you want between your wedges. Looks perfect to me there. I'd have a bigger issue with the 20y difference between the 7 and 8.

5i: 195-205
6i: 180-190
7i: 170-180
8i: 160-165
9i: 140-155
PW: 130-140
AW: 110-125

I have wider gaps towards the bottom and I'm not too sure why

Our numbers are fairly close except for the GW where I see 105-110 and the SW is 95-100

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I wonder if the gap between the set wedges has more to do with my goofy swing. I tend to get too steep with shorter clubs. I'll probably get the GW loft strengthened a degree or 2 to close the gap a little.

This is what I have in my yardage book as a guide. Just took my 7 iron average from my fitting and added or subtracted 12 to get each number. I'm finding it to be quite accurate to be honest.

4i: 203
5i: 191

6i: 179
7i: 167
8i: 155
9i: 143
PW: 131

My average numbers, very pleased with my gaps, have noticed a bigger jump in yardage when the nonCF clubs are flushed vs the CF clubs.

4i: 190-195
5i: 180-185
8i: 150-155
9i: 135-140
PW: 125-130
AW: 110-115

I picked my clubs back up after getting the MCC Plus 4's put on and also had the lie angle checked. Sure enough, 6 out of 8 were incorrect. After talking to the fitter it sounds like this is pretty common. Mine weren't off by much so it's not a real big deal but he said he has seen some terrible cases in the past (from all brands). Now it's time to play the waiting game for the weather to turn around again!

Hitting my stride with these. Swing is rounding back to form and I'm really, really liking these more ever time out. Just got back from walking dog and had 8 iron only hit 5 balls to a slightly downhill 3 from 165 wind helping a tad. All on and center.

Edit after bent to spec
5 190-195
6 180-185
7 165-170
8 150-155
9 140-145
PW 125-130
AW 115-120

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Debating on playing with the CF16's or M2 Tour's on Sunday. Probably won't be able to play again until Friday afternoon so it will likely be the CF16's.

Gonna be a long week until my order arrives. Hopefully they get here before my trip to AZ next week.

I'm still confident there is nothing like hitting a long irons from this set. Its crazy how it feels you're just murferously compressing the ball.

I continue to really enjoy this set. The more rounds and range sessions I put these through the confidence just grows and grows.

The only issue I have is a big gap between my PW and 9 iron. Everything else falls into place. I need to get it checked out

Debating on playing with the CF16's or M2 Tour's on Sunday. Probably won't be able to play again until Friday afternoon so it will likely be the CF16's.

Really curious to hear your thoughts on these 2 after a little more time with each. I'm getting new irons and I'm 99% sure it's going to be either the CF16's or the M2 Tours.

Really curious to hear your thoughts on these 2 after a little more time with each. I'm getting new irons and I'm 99% sure it's going to be either the CF16's or the M2 Tours.

Will do - will put the M2's in play on Sunday since I have time with the CF16's and can start to compare/contrast

First round in with these and I'm definitely happy with my purchase. It's cold and windy but was still seeing my old iron distances for the most part. Hit a couple smoked long irons. Definitely an addicting feeling. Can't wait to get out again with these.

Oh and I think I may have finally found a worthy successor to the A for awesome wedge that I loved in my i20s. Full swings and around the green it was like it's been in my bag for a while already. Pondering a set SW or just changing my layup target to whatever the AW distance ends up being for me. The AW will definitely be in my hands when I walk up to greens a lot more than with my Speedblades. A couple great chips today.

NICE Jon!!

Back