Callaway Great Big Bertha Fairway Wood Preview Thead

Haven't hit the fairway, but I could see the KK being absolutely great in the fairway wood

An open question to you and fupy, is the GBB 3 wood deep enough to be reliable off of the tee? Is the CG of the mini driver low enough for off the deck work?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I encourage you to check out the Mini 1.5 review, tons of info in there that should help answer q's.

In a nutshell though, the depth here is all about one's swing and confidence, its a more shallow face than a lot of what we are seeing out there so some may not have the confidence they'd like to with a ball teed up. Distance though is there in spades, and it launches easier than the Mini as well IMO.

For the mini, the rule of thumb is the more deep a clubs face gets, the harder it is to hit it off the deck. While we have seen some slower swingers have success there off the deck, its truly more prone to be hitable consistently off the deck to higher swing speed guys and those with a slightly descending blow at impact. I can hit it incredibly well off the deck, but its a shot that still brings some trepidation into play with the miss I can see with it.

The Mini is 1000% a niche club, IMO the VAST majority will benefit more from a 3w in the bag, but the mini does have its place as well.

Called Callaway Pre-Owned this morning and they said no problem on sending my clubs back. Sounded almost too easy so I guess we'll see if they show up or not. Said they might not get them shipped out for a few days. Hoping I get my exact clubs back because I had the Golf Pride MCC +4 grips on them. I really hope they come through because if they don't then I'll miss out on the 30% off sale they have going on now if I was going to have to repurchase replacement V Series clubs. As for the new GBB fairways, I'm headed straight to the range tonight after work and will spend another hour or so with them. If I find the same results I had this weekend then I'll put them up for sale in the FS/FT forum. I really want these clubs to work but I think the writing is on the wall...

So spent an hour and a half at the range after work to give the GBB 3 Wood and Heavenwood one more chance. Verdict is in, these are not for me. I'm putting them up for sale. I'll put them up for sale on the forum first but if they don't move quickly I'm taking them to eBay. Rather a forum member get them for a bit off of retail than somebody else.

I spent two range sessions over the weekend with GBB 3 wd with Oban Isawa 55 04 @ 43.25 in. (stiff) and GBB 5 wood Isawa 65 04 at 42.5 in. I thought the Isawa, with an active bend profile, and lite weight, would add to carry.

Background:

I came from the V Series 3 and 5 wd with stock stiff Bassara shaft. Issues with the 3 wood were high spin, same in the 5 wood - felt as if I was losing yardage. We are not talking about someone with great swing speed - mid to high 90's. It was a time of adjustment with GBB. I was not confident at first, and did not put a lot of enthusiasm into swings. The head felt heavier than the V Series.

I finally put some zing into the swing, which is the feel at impact -- a metallic zing, which is aggressive sounding and not too high pitched. I started off with a tee and the 3 wood, then off the deck. These are impressive fairways - long heel to toe, shallow heel and deeper toe.

First impressions:

Trajectory is lower and flatter than the V Series - hotter. While the V Series would arc quickly, reach peak and then descend, the GBB 3 wood has a sense of urgency - it rockets on a shallow arc, hits the peak, and flattens out, before a shallow descent, and then running. The GBB 5 wood has more of a steep arc, flattens, and then descends more quickly, as expected. I was pleasantly surprised, or is that relieved, by their performance. I think the 3 wd will be a beast off the tee, when you set the tee correctly. I hit it solid off the tee and kept the tee relatively low.

Looking forward to getting them on the course so I can get some yardage comparisons.

Last edited:
I'm really growing into my 5W, so much so I think the hybo will be making its exist. Wondering if I should add a 3W.

I haven't had a 3-wood in my bag for maybe 25 years but after two weeks loving the new GBB driver, I figured I should try the 3-wood. At first on the simulator even though the club felt good and the distance was great, with the stock stiff shaft(s) I just couldn't dial it in and get any consistency of trajectory, ball flight, dispersion, etc. Thought maybe it was just the way I was swinging that day but the guy helping me at the store (same guy who fit me the month before for my irons and the driver) started to get creative and found a couple other shafts to try - not sure of the details and the whys but all of a sudden I was hitting it really really well - just finding the right shaft made all of the difference. Ended up special ordering the 3-wood with a Fubuki Zeta Tour Stiff shaft and have been loving it on the course. Solid feel, getting the ball up fast and great distance - fits really well between my driver and a hybrid for holes where I should be playing it smarter than taking driver.... Not sure why I waited 25 yrs to put a 3-wood back in my bag but I am glad that I picked this one up.

Also, the whole experience really showed me (even more than in the past) how critical fitting is and how big a difference the right shaft can make for my game. Got the right shaft in the driver and my new Mizuno irons and things are feeling good.

Hit my 3w a lot today and am still very much liking it. Very long for me off the tee and straight. Hit it off the deck a few times and terrific results as well. The club is seriously making me consider converting my HW and driver as well, it feels that good to hit. Best 3W I've gamed, easily.

Tomorrow. 3w.

YES.

Hit my 3w a lot today and am still very much liking it. Very long for me off the tee and straight. Hit it off the deck a few times and terrific results as well. The club is seriously making me consider converting my HW and driver as well, it feels that good to hit. Best 3W I've gamed, easily.
I truly don't say this lightly or biased, but it would be an upgrade you would enjoy for both. Legit. So damn legit.

I think the FedEx fairy heard me...

06e546030a9d06b5fe2606791d9e45c5.jpg

What the heck FedEx fairy?

What the heck FedEx fairy?

Hahaha, wasn't supposed to deliver until tomorrow, but when Amanda got home and I walked out on the porch, there it was! MAGIC!

Hahaha, wasn't supposed to deliver until tomorrow, but when Amanda got home and I walked out on the porch, there it was! MAGIC!

I don't even have a shipping notification. The depression is real.

Who has 2 thumbs and has a Heavenwood scheduled to arrive tomorrow?

This guy.

Who has 2 thumbs and has a Heavenwood scheduled to arrive tomorrow?

This guy.

Looking forward to your thoughts on it. I love the 3 wood and the Heavenwood.

Looking forward to your thoughts on it. I love the 3 wood and the Heavenwood.

I really think its going to be a good replacement for my 815 Alpha 18* hybrid. The 3 wood is just so easy to hit it seemed like a nice gap between that and my XR 4-iron.

So I took the Heaven Wood out last night for its first run to see if it was a more viable solution for my needs then the Alpha 815 hybrid. I wanted a higher launching club to put me into the 230-240 range.

I can report that after my first extensive use I had to smoke a cigarette and she was driving to CVS for a morning after pill.

So I took the Heaven Wood out last night for its first run to see if it was a more viable solution for my needs then the Alpha 815 hybrid. I wanted a higher launching club to put me into the 230-240 range.

I can report that after my first extensive use I had to smoke a cigarette and she was driving to CVS for a morning after pill.

This makes me happy. I know you crashed and burned with the V-Series model, but seeing your intrigue grow at Disney with this one I hoped you'd give it a try.

Turned down to 19?

callaway's website suggests the BBA 816 for me for a 3 wood but something about hitting this club at the Gauntlet has me wanting it in my bag...

I just finished my round with the 3w, and pulled it on holes where I normally wouldn't, just to have the excuse to hit it. My goodness.

I can hit it low/mid or high off the tee if I want. First hole, I hit a low mid launching straight ball that just took off and ran right on through the fairway. Excellent start.

I hit it off the tee on nine holes, and found the fairway on seven of them. The worst hits were similar to my prior 3w on pretty good hits. On solid strikes, it flirted with driver length.

That really wasn't super exciting for me, as I've played very long 3w's that are cannons off the tee but have no versatility for me off the fairway. This one however, seems to work well for me off the deck. The typical low launch I had with my prior was now a mid flight. The biggest difference was that I was able to fly the ball onto the green opposed to hit and hope it rolled up. THAT was exciting.

I do have a question with regards to the 2g weight in the sole. What happened in Callaway's testing when they tried heavier weights? Did it drop the CG to the point of creating too much spin and launch?

I just finished my round with the 3w, and pulled it on holes where I normally wouldn't, just to have the excuse to hit it. My goodness.

I can hit it low/mid or high off the tee if I want. First hole, I hit a low mid launching straight ball that just took off and ran right on through the fairway. Excellent start.

I hit it off the tee on nine holes, and found the fairway on seven of them. The worst hits were similar to my prior 3w on pretty good hits. On solid strikes, it flirted with driver length.

That really wasn't super exciting for me, as I've played very long 3w's that are cannons off the tee but have no versatility for me off the fairway. This one however, seems to work well for me off the deck. The typical low launch I had with my prior was now a mid flight. The biggest difference was that I was able to fly the ball onto the green opposed to hit and hope it rolled up. THAT was exciting.

I do have a question with regards to the 2g weight in the sole. What happened in Callaway's testing when they tried heavier weights? Did it drop the CG to the point of creating too much spin and launch?
Dude i can see this being a WEAPON for you

callaway's website suggests the BBA 816 for me for a 3 wood but something about hitting this club at the Gauntlet has me wanting it in my bag...

I still haven't gotten out to hit mine since it showed up. A week and a damn half, its killing me. Tomorrow though. Yes.

I hit it off the tea on nine holes, and found the fairway on seven of them. The worst hits were similar to my prior 3w on pretty good hits. On solid strikes, it flirted with driver length.

Dammit, you aren't helping.

I believe they (Callaway) will alter the weights for swing weight purposes too. I believe...

This makes me happy. I know you crashed and burned with the V-Series model, but seeing your intrigue grow at Disney with this one I hoped you'd give it a try.

Turned down to 19?

I left it at 20* and it seemed to work for the number I needed so I didn't mess with it.

I guess every user is different. I know I can game the BBA 816 but the ease of use and forgiveness in the GBB is just so amazing why make the game harder.

I guess every user is different. I know I can game the BBA 816 but the ease of use and forgiveness in the GBB is just so amazing why make the game harder.
and thats exactly my stance on not only this, but the GBB driver and the Apex CF. The feel of a well struck ball with the GBB 3wood was contagious

Back