Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
the worst part is Herb is as pure as the driven snow. could never sand bag. guy plays golf with about 4 clubs, hits it straight as an arrow, and plays FAST. he gets out of the cart and as you look at your GPS and say "it's about 220-" WHAP! he hits it. and beats you into the ground doing it. it's annoying! HA!
With four clubs that's easy. Is it a tee shot, a fairway shot, a wedge shot, or a putt? Don't have to care about distance.

With four clubs that's easy. Is it a tee shot, a fairway shot, a wedge shot, or a putt? Don't have to care about distance.
It's genius is it's simplicity.

Tough round, but a good score. Went out in a rough 51, but came back with a 46 (for a 97) which would have been even better if I hadn't closed with a triple in 18. Getting used to the Windy City putter is tough ... 5 three jacks today. 9/14 FIR helped me stay with things though.

Shot a 50 this morning, and wanted to cry about half way through the round because of it. Was 4 over through 4 which wasn't bad. Bogey on #1, but had a legit 10' putt for birdie on the par 5 #2, but ended up with par. Then took a tripple thanks to a bad tee shot and a topped second shot on #3. Walked away with a par on #4. Two more doubles on #5 and #6, and then the wheels fell off on #7 where I took a quadruple thanks to a shot pulled into the woods, had to punch out, and then not one but two topped shots. Five put me on the back of the green and I three putted. The par 5 #8 was some redemption when I figured out my alignment and hit the fairway. A steady swing on the hybrid put me 115 out. Pulled my PW and sent it off the back of the green. It was a solid hit, so can't be angry at making good contact. Finished bogey, bogey. Got to avoid these stupid blow up holes ... and getting off the tee is still a thorn in my side.

Overall, two three putts, four topped shots. That's about 3 or 4 strokes right there I just pissed away.

Shot a 50 this morning, and wanted to cry about half way through the round because of it. Was 4 over through 4 which wasn't bad. Bogey on #1, but had a legit 10' putt for birdie on the par 5 #2, but ended up with par. Then took a tripple thanks to a bad tee shot and a topped second shot on #3. Walked away with a par on #4. Two more doubles on #5 and #6, and then the wheels fell off on #7 where I took a quadruple thanks to a shot pulled into the woods, had to punch out, and then not one but two topped shots. Five put me on the back of the green and I three putted. The par 5 #8 was some redemption when I figured out my alignment and hit the fairway. A steady swing on the hybrid put me 115 out. Pulled my PW and sent it off the back of the green. It was a solid hit, so can't be angry at making good contact. Finished bogey, bogey. Got to avoid these stupid blow up holes ... and getting off the tee is still a thorn in my side.

Overall, two three putts, four topped shots. That's about 3 or 4 strokes right there I just pissed away.
Topped shots are a bane of my existence. Question: were all of them with the same or similar club? Sometimes, if I don't have a good feel for a club (let's say my hybrid), I'll bag it for the round, and not tempt fate by pressing the issue.

Topped shots are a bane of my existence. Question: were all of them with the same or similar club? Sometimes, if I don't have a good feel for a club (let's say my hybrid), I'll bag it for the round, and not tempt fate by pressing the issue.
My 7W and 5H. The 5H did give me a couple of good shots once I stopped swinging for the fences. This is the first while in a long while that I topped these many shots.

Tough round, but a good score. Went out in a rough 51, but came back with a 46 (for a 97) which would have been even better if I hadn't closed with a triple in 18. Getting used to the Windy City putter is tough ... 5 three jacks today. 9/14 FIR helped me stay with things though.
Only cure for the putter adjustment period is a boat load of putting green time.

My 7W and 5H. The 5H did give me a couple of good shots once I stopped swinging for the fences. This is the first while in a long while that I topped these many shots.
Hey! You stole my game! LOL. I battle this damn near every swing.

I literally need to hit a 100 balls a day. I can't afford to hit 100 balls a day though at the range. Don't have a net (and can only imagine the depth of the divots I'd put in my yard if I did so) so have to figure out how to get my rep's down so I can get in my swings ... thinking about the tiny golf whiffle balls on some carpet as an option.

I literally need to hit a 100 balls a day. I can't afford to hit 100 balls a day though at the range. Don't have a net (and can only imagine the depth of the divots I'd put in my yard if I did so) so have to figure out how to get my rep's down so I can get in my swings ... thinking about the tiny golf whiffle balls on some carpet as an option.
I hit wiffle balls all the time in my front room when practicing lobs. I would recommend this highly if you have room for a full swing somewhere. Heck, you could just launch them into the side of the garage, not going to hurt it.

Hey duece, I just picked up a Cleveland Classic 10.5* driver like yours. what is your opinion on it? I haven't hit balls with it yet, so can't really comment on it for my swing. But, it was a deal, and I like buying clubs.

Hey duece, I just picked up a Cleveland Classic 10.5* driver like yours. what is your opinion on it? I haven't hit balls with it yet, so can't really comment on it for my swing. But, it was a deal, and I like buying clubs.
When I hit it well, I love it. My problems are with the indian, not the arrow (or bow as it were), but I really like it.

When I hit it well, I love it. My problems are with the indian, not the arrow (or bow as it were), but I really like it.
Cool. I'll assume the nice tempo swing gets the best results?

Had a great game yesterday, finally broke 100, shot a 47 on the front nine and a 51 on the back, for a 98, my first ever sub 100 game.:banana:

Had a great game yesterday, finally broke 100, shot a 47 on the front nine and a 51 on the back, for a 98, my first ever sub 100 game.:banana:
good job!!

Noice work now that you've done it time to do it again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats!

Congrats!!

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

congrats on the new PB!

54 on 9 holes (walking - whew it got hot in a hurry this morning!). Not as good as the 52 last week but I made a mess of the third par 3 (3 to get out of the sand) and #9 at the end. but had only 18 putts and ZERO penalties. that's two weeks in a row for a 50's round. very pleased.

One of these days it will happen again.

45 on the front. Wheels came off at the turn, rain killed the back 9 after 4 holes. So, I'm just going to say I played a great 9 today. New irons felt pretty darn sweet, new driver was sweet and straight, made a few bad calls. New PB for 9 holes. Played a nice course in Norwalk, OH, called Eagle Creek.

This game drives me nuts some times. I was sick and was away from the course/range for almost 2 weeks and apparently forgot how to swing. My first round back was a course that normally eats my lunch and I shot a 114 with 8 penalties with only 1 of those off the tee. The rest were just horrible iron shots with at least 2 coming from straight up Sh@nks.

I worked on some things over the past week and got back on track and shot a 45 on 9 holes yesterday and made 4 GIR's with only 1 coming from the 2 par 3's on that 9. I think before the most GIR's I've ever had were 5 over 18 holes, so this was probably the best I've ever played. I've shot 38 before on 9 holes, but only had 2 GIR's and had to scramble much more. Yesterday's 45 came despite 1 penalty, two 3 putts, and some bad course management decisions. For example, the last hole was a par 5 and I hit my best drive of the day (close to 300) and was left with 220 to the pin. But the hole was a dog leg left and I rolled through the fairway into the right rough and had a tree line along the right between me and the pin. I already hit my 3 iron 230 over a green earlier in the day and was comfortable with the club, but the ball was a little above my feet. I felt like I had plenty of distance to clear the tree, so I decided to go for it instead of just punching out leftward and forward to get into a better position in the fairway. I gripped down since the ball was above my feet and proceeded to top the ball. It went straight and maybe 20 yards. Then I really didn't have enough room to go over the tree but decided to go for it anyway. I hit right into the tree and the ball shot right into a heavier wooded area. I then tried to punch out and hit another tree, then hit again for a successful punch out. Then I hit a pitch shot and 1 putted for a 7. I learned my lesson though and next time will take my medicine with a 7 iron punch low, forward, and left to progress into and down the fairway so that I have an easier iron shot to the green with no obstructions in the way.

Man, why do we never learn? LOL. The last hole today is a shortish par 4 the has a 90 degree left dogleg. I put my tee shot right about 140 from the pin, and, instead of playing a s,mart 7 iron into the front of the green, I tried a heroes shot over the chasm jutting into the left side of the fairway. Total top of the ball, down the left into deep rough, had to hack out and ended up taking a 7. Oy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back