Trying To Break 90 Club

Shot my low round of the summer: 94. With 8 penalty shots (played stroke & distance instead of local league rules for playing tee shots as lateral hazards)!

I feel like I'm hitting the ball better but can't seem to score better. Just gotta get that driver straightened out. The frustrating thing is my second shot was usually straight & long, so I think it's more of a mental thing or lack of focus.

Good thoughts to take away: 29 putts, including 8 one-putts (most from 10+ feet away). Hitting my FW woods & hybrid farther & more accurately than ever too.

Atta boy Marty! now keep it there.

New PB 41 - 46 / 87. Started on the back with the 46. Went +1 thru 5 on the front... my best stretch of golf that I can remember.

5 pars, 10 bogeys and 3 doubles. 5 GIRs and 34 putts.

Really nice to see the hard work paying off.

New PB 41 - 46 / 87. Started on the back with the 46. Went +1 thru 5 on the front... my best stretch of golf that I can remember.

Congrats on PB!

My wife just hit a pb of 91 - 45/46. 40 stable ford points and 4 under her handicap. I suspect she'll be in the 80's first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats man. Knew you were real close.
That's a great round there

Congrats man. Knew you were real close.
That's a great round there

Thanks! It was encouraging to make par on 9 after two doubles. Nice to be able to bounce back instead of the cascading spiral of death that usually comes after a bad hole or two.

Awesome! And I told ya :)

48-43/91. Two snowmen on the front. One worm burner drive and one hosel rocket 8i but otherwise pretty solid ball striking. Couldn't seem to chip or putt the ball hard enough today - left everything short.

My playing partners (both good friends) shot 102 and 94. We're not all that competitive but it does feel pretty good to have the low round of the day :)

One thing I thought I'd share that has been helpful for me lately... I made a slight change to my pre-shot routine.

Before address I'll stand behind the ball to pick my target line. Once I pick the target and start to walk up towards the ball I'll say (out loud - hopefully my playing partners don't get sick of this, haha), "OK, let's hit it at [whatever my target line is]." Choosing the target, saying it out loud and focusing on what I WANT instead of what I DON'T want has been very effective for me.

I guess it's a way of forcing myself to think positive instead of "Ok... don't hit it in the woods" or whatever.

Played twice this weekend. First went 46/42 for an 88. 7/14 FW, 2/18 GIR and 32 putts. I was exceeding sloppy with my iron play, but made up for it with decent putting and really good wedge play. Unfortunately, that was not the case next time out away from the friendly confines of the home track. 54/49 for a very ugly 103. Ball striking was awful and I had a bad day with just about every club. 6/14 FW, 2/18 GIR and 39 putts. Greens were so firm and fast, I couldn't get anything close and the few times I did I three putted. Just not my day, several lip outs and burnt edges. I need to work on fundamentals with my irons and go from there.

Played twice this weekend. First went 46/42 for an 88. 7/14 FW, 2/18 GIR and 32 putts. I was exceeding sloppy with my iron play, but made up for it with decent putting and really good wedge play. Unfortunately, that was not the case next time out away from the friendly confines of the home track. 54/49 for a very ugly 103. Ball striking was awful and I had a bad day with just about every club. 6/14 FW, 2/18 GIR and 39 putts. Greens were so firm and fast, I couldn't get anything close and the few times I did I three putted. Just not my day, several lip outs and burnt edges. I need to work on fundamentals with my irons and go from there.

Nice job w/ the 88 and forget about the 103 =)

Only managed to get out once this weekend and played at a course I haven't been to in a couple of years. Major blowup - 102, greens recently punched (small) and heavily sanded, figured out a few holes in to just putt straight at it. Then the wind picked up on the back, enough said.

After a couple of weeks of solid golf I fell off after some weak rounds this weekend and at league today. Need to get out to the range to work on it a little bit. Just over drawing everything, and getting myself in trouble trying to fix it on the course.

And........
3d469c7992d75d3ad48a8fb78e4e95d2.jpg

Another 90....D'oh.
That's 2 rounds in a row at 90 on the button.
Missed about a 6 footer with about a foot of right to left break on 18 for par. 18 is a monster par 5 at 550yds. Hit a good drive but had about 200 to carry junk that splits the fairway and had 300 total in to the green. Played it smart...9i down to in front of the junk. Had 165 left....7i just left of the green. Chip and 2 putt. Didn't know what score I was on as my phone died. Not sure it woulda made a difference in the par putt though...lol.
I'm determined....I will post a sub-90 score before old man winter settles in to the northeast.

And........

Another 90....D'oh.
Missed about a 6 footer with about a foot of right to left break on 18 for par. 18 is a monster par 5 at 550yds. Hit a good drive but had about 200 to carry junk that splits the fairway and had 300 total in to the green. Played it smart...9i down to in front of the junk. Had 165 left....7i just left of the green. Chip and 2 putt. Didn't know what score I was on as my phone died. Not sure it woulda made a difference in the par putt though...lol.
I'm determined....I will post a sub-90 score before old man winter settles in to the northeast.

The last round before I finally posted an 89 was a 45-45/90 that included a bogey on 18... shake it off lemmiwinks; you're close!

And........Another 90....D'oh.

Nice round, and no blowup holes. Shave a few strokes here and there and your sub 90 (I know...Captain Obvious :)).

The last round before I finally posted an 89 was a 45-45/90 that included a bogey on 18... shake it off lemmiwinks; you're close!

Nice round, and no blowup holes. Shave a few strokes here and there and your sub 90 (I know...Captain Obvious :)).

Thanks guys. This one was down to my putting. I could not make anything inside of 10'.

Finally broke 90 on a full 18, and I actually smashed my personal best of 92. Took another lesson last week and hit a bunch of balls and it really helped my game. We focused on my driver and I really did well with that thing.

Shot a 39 on the front (Par 35) and 46 on the back(Par 37), for an 85. Started out with 6 pars and hit 6 out of 7 fairways with my driver on the front 9. Back 9 got away from me a bit and hit 4 out of 7 with a combo of my driver/2 hybrid/5 iron. Was hitting my wedges well and sank some really nice putts on the back 9.

Really happy with my game and looking forward to taking a few more lessons before our season ends.

46 on the local par 35 nine hole. I've played it many times but this was my first time walking it. One of my goals by this time next year is to walk the majority of my rounds.

14 putts in 9 holes. Not bad.

Finally broke 90 on a full 18, and I actually smashed my personal best of 92. Took another lesson last week and hit a bunch of balls and it really helped my game. We focused on my driver and I really did well with that thing.

Shot a 39 on the front (Par 35) and 46 on the back(Par 37), for an 85. Started out with 6 pars and hit 6 out of 7 fairways with my driver on the front 9. Back 9 got away from me a bit and hit 4 out of 7 with a combo of my driver/2 hybrid/5 iron. Was hitting my wedges well and sank some really nice putts on the back 9.

Really happy with my game and looking forward to taking a few more lessons before our season ends.

Great round Drew!

Atta boy Drew! ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

46 on the local par 35 nine hole. I've played it many times but this was my first time walking it. One of my goals by this time next year is to walk the majority of my rounds.

14 putts in 9 holes. Not bad.

Not bad at all on the putts!

Lately I feel like I'm moving in the opposite direction and I should be in the "how to break 100" thread. My last 18 was a 103 and yesterday's 9 was a 53 with TWENTY ONE putts. Putting myself in a bad position off the tee on par 4s and 5s is hurting me immensely and making it harder to get into the green in a good position. I've been working on the driver and it's ok on the range but I still can't take it to the course when scoring comes into play. Irons are getting there slowly.

On the good side, my only actual penalty yesterday came when I took too much club on a dogleg and ended up in water. 1/3 of my ball was above the surface, but I took the penalty & drop. I didn't have to hit 3 at all off the tee, but I had more than a few low hooks that put me in the trees or well short of where I should have been. Hoping to get 9 in this weekend and get back to the sub-50 score range.

Nicely done Drew!

Not bad at all on the putts!

Lately I feel like I'm moving in the opposite direction and I should be in the "how to break 100" thread. My last 18 was a 103 and yesterday's 9 was a 53 with TWENTY ONE putts. Putting myself in a bad position off the tee on par 4s and 5s is hurting me immensely and making it harder to get into the green in a good position. I've been working on the driver and it's ok on the range but I still can't take it to the course when scoring comes into play. Irons are getting there slowly.

On the good side, my only actual penalty yesterday came when I took too much club on a dogleg and ended up in water. 1/3 of my ball was above the surface, but I took the penalty & drop. I didn't have to hit 3 at all off the tee, but I had more than a few low hooks that put me in the trees or well short of where I should have been. Hoping to get 9 in this weekend and get back to the sub-50 score range.

The 14 putts - and, now that I think about it, scrambling in general - really saved the round. I only hit one green but had 4 one-putts (3 of which were kick-ins) and the rest were 2 putts... no 3-jacks.

I still need to dial in the accuracy with the irons and hit more greens. I'm also considering a gap wedge. My SW is good for about 100y and PW for 120-125. Quite a gap there.

Back