Executive 18 vs Regulation 9

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
I recenly posted a thread to talk about a 3-Hole practice setup here:

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php/99242-3-Hole-Golf-Course

In the thread, someone mentioned they would rather play an interesting 12 hole course then a bland 18 hole executive track and it got me thinking. Given a smaller plot of land, one would argue you would be better off designing 9 full length holes in the space instead of an a shorter, 18 hole executive track dominated by Par 3's. I understand the appeal of an executive track, and maybe some golfers would rather play 18 shirt holes then 9 regular ones.

What makes one better versus the other? Short 18 or full length 9?

Full length 9 with various tee boxes to mix up the each hole a little.

I would rather play a regulation 9 but every so often executive courses are fun.

I'm simple. I'll take ANY golf, over no golf. So if its executive, so be it, if its a partial round at a full course, that is cool too.

Full length 9 is what I would prefer. Play different tee box the second time around.

I think the more holes I could get in, in the same amount of time the better. I grew up playing on a couple par 3 courses, so much fun!

I'd rather play a regulation 9. It allows you to work on a wider variety of your game than a short par 3 type course would.

I grew up on executive courses and have a soft spot for them but given the opportunity I'd rather play a 9 hole course with a mixture of holes over primarily Par 3's, even if I have to play it twice. I like being able to take the driver out often throughout the round.

I used to play a nine-hole course that had 2 distinctly different tee boxes for each hole. Quite enjoyable. So, I'd prefer an interesting nine.

In the current golfing market I think you would have to be an idiot or rich to build a new 18 hole executive or a 9 hole regulation course. Totally lighting money on fire.

To answer the actual question I am never going to either given the choices of golf courses around me. I would probably play at the firestone 9 (Firestone CC has a 9 hole open to public par 35 3K yards but they use the same grounds crew so it is well kept) but zero chance I drive 50 minutes to it.

I remember hearing about on PGATourLive Sirius radio about a 9 hole loop course with tees and greens at each of of the fairway. I think they would send a slug of groups out to play clockwise, and then turn everyone around to play the "back nine" counterclockwise using the oposign tees and greens. Severely limits the number of tee times per day, but it sounded like a novel solution to a space limited course.

Regulation 9 for me. Contrasting tee boxes for the second nine to be played can really change the complexion of a hole, at least off the tee.

Regulation 9 probably. Executive courses are fun but I like the variety I get from a full size course. Half the time I play I only play 9 anyway so it’s an easy call for me.

In the current golfing market I think you would have to be an idiot or rich to build a new 18 hole executive or a 9 hole regulation course. Totally lighting money on fire.

To answer the actual question I am never going to either given the choices of golf courses around me. I would probably play at the firestone 9 (Firestone CC has a 9 hole open to public par 35 3K yards but they use the same grounds crew so it is well kept) but zero chance I drive 50 minutes to it.

You should check out Sweetens Cove in Tennessee, might change your mind on 9 hole courses. To answer the question I would rather a 9 hole course than 18 hole executive course

You should check out Sweetens Cove in Tennessee, might change your mind on 9 hole courses. To answer the question I would rather a 9 hole course than 18 hole executive course

It takes some guts to build a 9 hole course in 2013(looks like they built over a crappy muni 9 so basically built a new course). I would happily play the hell out of that course multiple times. Never seen an angled biarritz green like that.

Definitely would rather play the full length 9

I'd rather play the executive. 9 holes, ugh. Just a tease.

18 even on an exec course is still 18 times to work on iron and wedge play.

Full 9 for me!

Give me the 18. More holes more shots to be able to work on things. 9 holes just leaves me wanting more.

It is always going to be a normal length 18 hole course for me over all other's, but we do have a 9 hole Par 3 course here in town I stop at now and then, just for fun and to work on more short game shots.

I favor the full length 9 hole choice over the 18 hole executive track dominated by Par 3's.

I hate par three holes, so I’d prefer a full length course. I don’t see why someone couldn’t do both, though. Build a full length 9 (or even 18) hole course and put another tee box on each hole to make it also playable as a par 3.

I'd much rather regulation 9. I don't play nearly as much as I'd like, so I want as many postable rounds as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back