How far do these new drivers really go compaired to the old

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiiim

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
NONE
There is a fellow on You Tube that does a lot of club testing his name is Rick Shiels...I watched his test of a new 460 driver against 1997 Great big bertha...The Bertha is about a 240 size head...almost 1/2 the size of the new 460 driver..

He could only get this new 460 driver to go [ DELETED 4 YARDS ] 5 yards than the Great Big Bertha...

He did say the bigger head was easier to hit but it occurred to me that these Mfg.s claims to all this longer distance is BS....

EDIT THE SHIELS DRIVER TEST WS BETWEEN THE 1997 CALLAWAY GREAT BIG BRERTHA AND THE CALLAWAY XHOT

Last edited:
There is a fellow on You Tube that does a lot of club testing his name is Rick Shiels...I watched his test of a new 460 driver against 1997 Great big bertha...The Bertha is about a 240 size head...almost 1/2 the size of the new 460 driver..

He could only get this new 460 driver to go 4 more yards than the Great Big Bertha...

He did say the bigger head was easier to hit but it occurred to me that these Mfg.s claims to all this longer distance is BS....

It probably depends on shaft technology more than head technology on center hits, when you are talking about 1997.

The mishits are always better with the bigger head. I could hit my Titleist 975D as far as my RBZ Tour but less often and when mishit it is much more punishing. Often losing 40-50 yards.

Each person is going to hit them a different distance. The newer drivers are providing better dispersion and reducing spin which will help some get added distance since they won't be losing it from ball going to far right or hooking to much. Ball and shaft can have an impact as well.

This sorta stuff again....oh brother. What it does FOR YOU is what matters, not someone else.

You will see tremendous gains in ball speed retention on off center strikes from new drivers compared to ten years ago.

Who cares what they claim lol go hit them, enjoy and pick what fits you. No biggie

That OG GBB is still solid though. Quite a bit more opportunities for missing the sweet spot. That Strong Flex shaft is fun to hit in that combo...ha.

Edit: It's in the bag too

I get what the OP is asking. If a driver from 1997 isnt that much shorter than one from now, why spend the money on the new one. Not saying i agree with that thought, just saying i can see where hes coming from. And not everyone has the ability to go and hit a number of different options so they most likely will go off of reviews and opinions of others to make their decision and then buy sight unseen. I would suggest you do everything you can to get your hands on some of the new stuff and then see what fits you best because like others say, what fits a guy on youtube may not fit you

Rick Shiels is a very good golfer. Most of the people reading this forum are not. It isn't exactly a fair comparison.

I get what the OP is asking. If a driver from 1997 isnt that much shorter than one from now, why spend the money on the new one. Not saying i agree with that thought, just saying i can see where hes coming from. And not everyone has the ability to go and hit a number of different options so they most likely will go off of reviews and opinions of others to make their decision and then buy sight unseen. I would suggest you do everything you can to get your hands on some of the new stuff and then see what fits you best because like others say, what fits a guy on youtube may not fit you

It goes hand in hand with the other posts.
Yes, COR is maxed out. If the only thing that matters to a golfer is pure distance on the sweet spot, then they should be fine with other options.
However for most golfers, spin and forgiveness are real things and should be tested individually or from a reliable source. Then add the ability to fine tune far more easily with options that fit far more golfers and the progress is fairly staggering.

Its like hitting a muscle back iron and a 3 hybrid. Sure the distance for some on pure strikes will be similar. That however does not mean that technology has not advanced and its all "marketing BS".

It goes hand in hand with the other posts.
Yes, COR is maxed out. If the only thing that matters to a golfer is pure distance on the sweet spot, then they should be fine with other options.
However for most golfers, spin and forgiveness are real things and should be tested individually or from a reliable source. Then add the ability to fine tune far more easily with options that fit far more golfers and the progress is fairly staggering.

Its like hitting a muscle back iron and a 3 hybrid. Sure the distance for some on pure strikes will be similar. That however does not mean that technology has not advanced and its all "marketing BS".
my hands hurt from reading that post

He could only get this new 460 driver to go 4 more yards than the Great Big Bertha...

You might want to watch the video again, the average carry distance was 242 vs 281, and the total distance was 268 vs 306. Where are you getting this 4 yards difference claim? Even the longest total drive with the old club was 9 yards shorter than the shortest total drive with the new one. Sounds like the opposite of BS to me.

Here is the video:

Looked to me like there was a 40 yard difference, not 4. His swing speed was 3 mph higher, some of that is the longer shaft. Better smash factor, lower spin, and more forgiveness on the newer club. Certainly the gains from 1997 aren't all BS.

I've tried most of the new stuff (bought most of it used one-year old), R15, SLDR, SLDR Mini, etc... None of them can match my "go to" drivers - either an older TM Burner 2007 model or an r7 CGB Max, both of which have to be at least 8-9 years old. Of course that is just me, others simply crush the new drivers to outlandish distances.

You might want to watch the video again, the average carry distance was 242 vs 281, and the total distance was 268 vs 306. Where are you getting this 4 yards difference claim? Even the longest total drive with the old club was 9 yards shorter than the shortest total drive with the new one. Sounds like the opposite of BS to me.
Listening comprehension is hard.

This thread should just be deleted the OP is 100% wrong about distances and just trying to start stuff.

Some peoples kids....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ps that guy hits the hell out of a golf ball.

:banghead:

Ps that guy hits the hell out of a golf ball.

After looking at his ball flight, I've decided that I really need to stop worrying about hitting the ball dead straight every freaking time I'm on the tee box. A bit of dispersion never killed anyone.

Haven't you heard... "15 yards farther" year after year after year.

You sure you watched the video at all? If so...were you drunk? The best carry distance with the old driver was 18 yards shorter than the worst carry distance with the new one. Also, the worst hit with the old driver was 58 (!!!) yards different than the worst with the new GBB. I mean...come on. Where is this 4 more yards number coming from?

The tech isn't BS.

I edited my origional thread sorry for the screw up i turned 40 yards into 4yards again sorry

EDIT... THE WRONG VIDEO WAAS POSTED...THE VIDEO I WATCHED WAS 1997GBB VS THE CALLAWAY XHOT AT THE END OF THE VIDEO SHIELS SAYS HE COULD ONLY GET 5 YARDS LONGER WITH THE XHOT....I KNEW I SAW IT

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back