How many putts per round do you average?

Buckeyeduffer

Reaction score
Handicap
Work
I feel and have been told I have a pretty good putting stroke. My average for this season is 34.1 putts per round. I truly believe that there is 2-3 strokes room for improvement. A few of my playing partners tell me I'm crazy for tinkering with my putting to find them and I disagree.

How many putts per round do you average?

36-40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea. I do keep track of it every round but I dont keep a running total. I do feel that I never putted better than I did this season.

More important to me is that I only broke 90 a few times all year which is a bit disappointing. Had nothing to do with putting though.

This got me thinking. I’m going to keep a total for every round I play for the next month or so then average them out. You peaked my curiousity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm at 32.

33 putts per round is the average this year. For what it's worth, lowest I've had on 18 holes this year is 25 putts, highest this year is 37 putts.

Low 30s. I hit few GIR and have a good short game. So most of my first putts are under 12ft. Seriously, I average 8-10 putts per round in the 6-12ft range. And am lucky to make 2.

I’m expecting about 36 - assuming my normal amount for GIR. If I miss more greens, I e peer to putt less because I should be chipping it close.

32 per 18 holes. Average number of putts per round can be a misleading stat, though, if used to measure putting efficiency. My worst ball striking rounds often lead to my lowest number of putts, because good chipping and pitching lead to many one putts. My 9 hole round this afternoon is a prime example. 7 greens in regulation, 18 putts, with one three putt. Based on the number of putts, it might seem like poor putting. Actually, the putter was working great, but most of the first putts were 20 to 30 feet and none went down.

I average 33.4 putts per round but that number is probably a bit better than it should be due to missing the green a lot.

Putts per round is worthless but I still track it.

For the last 40 or so rounds 30.1 average with 60.5% GIR

Strokes gained putting for those rounds is 1.04 better than scratch on game golf.

Low to mid 30's.

Don't keep track but guessing about 30. My course has small greens so I typically have 3 - 5 one putt par saves, 2 - 4 birdies per round and very few 3 putts.

A bit under 31 last time I kept track. I should easily shave a stroke or more off this total next summer when I’m at my new club that has A+ conditions on the greens.

This got me thinking. I’m going to keep a total for every round I play for the next month or so then average them out. You peaked my curiousity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I use the Grint app on my phone for my scoring. It keeps a 20 round running average of a lot of stats. Makes it easy.

32 per 18 holes. Average number of putts per round can be a misleading stat, though, if used to measure putting efficiency. My worst ball striking rounds often lead to my lowest number of putts, because good chipping and pitching lead to many one putts. My 9 hole round this afternoon is a prime example. 7 greens in regulation, 18 putts, with one three putt. Based on the number of putts, it might seem like poor putting. Actually, the putter was working great, but most of the first putts were 20 to 30 feet and none went down.

I think it can be misleading when you look at individual rounds. I agree that my lowest number of putts for the year was during a round where I missed more greens, but on an average over time that single round as well as my round with the most putts is washed out. The average is just that...the average.

For a bit of perspective...

Wesley Bryan leads the PGA in lowest putts per round at 28.13, the top 100 players 29.1 or below, and the worst at 30.42.

Wesley Bryan leads the PGA in lowest putts per round at 28.13, the top 100 players 29.1 or below, and the worst at 30.42.

They also hit 13+ GIR per round. Many amateurs are hitting only 4 or 5 GIR so they have more opportunities inside of 10 feet with their 1st putt.

They also hit 13+ GIR per round. Many amateurs are hitting only 4 or 5 GIR so they have more opportunities inside of 10 feet with their 1st putt.
Absolutely correct, GIRs change everything.

I my average putts per hole is 1.59, averaging out to 28.62 per round. There's so many factors that go into it. GIR is obviously the big one. It's 55% for the year. My main concern is GIRs and up and downs. If I'm getting up and down, my scores will be solid and my putts will be down.

Otherwise, putts per round doesn't really mean much to me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last time I looked at it, I was averaging 32.4 putts per round. I'd love to shave that # down to around 30.

I had a terrible putting year by my standards and averaged 34.7 and 2.1 per GIR.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

No reason to even look at that stat for the PGA. Unlike the LPGA they keep comprehensive worthwhile stats like strokes gained and make % for every distance.

No reason to even look at that stat for the PGA. Unlike the LPGA they keep comprehensive worthwhile stats like strokes gained and make % for every distance.

As a point of reference to pro golfers that stat is directly related to my original question in this thread. Debating the merit of the statistic is not my intent as it pertains to the general scope of making more putts and missing fewer that you feel you could have made.

28.8 putts per round average this year. But I'm going to pile on and say that putts per round is NOT a good judge of putting prowess. Especially, when you get to low numbers in this range, proximity to the hole makes a huge difference.

Eight feet is the breakeven point for players on the PGA Tour. Meaning at 8 feet 50% of the putts are made; 50% are missed. At 3 feet it's way over 90%, at 20 feet or longer the average putts made are single digit percentages.

So you could go from an average of 32 to 28 putts per round without changing your putting ability one iota just by getting your first putt closer to the pin. Conversely, your average putts could go up just by increasing your GIRs (less chips to close range, more long distance putts). The point being a lot goes into your average putts per round that has nothing to do with your putting.

Back