Spiethitis - Help Pulling the Trigger

Thanks for the feedback. You're the 2nd person to mention the "3-2-1" method so I will do that tomorrow on the range and try it both of my rounds I have coming up over the next few days .

As for the bolded part that is how I feel now. It's just a dead pause, silence, and exhaling to stay loose. I just want to be more free and less tense.

Maybe I'll bring an air-horn to the hideaway, I bet you speed up then

Judge_Smails_Caddyshack1b.gif

More times that not I don't find the pre shot routine to be issues for guys but rather the time spent in between when the last person hit to when the next ball is hit. Many times I'm already teeing up my ball as the previous guy is still holding his follow through and waiting for his ball to stop rolling. In the fairway I'm standing behind the ball watching the guy behind me make contact then walking into the ball as soon as contact is made. I've already made my read on the green while the other guy is putting and moving into the ball as he's putting his coin down.

I think it's the time spent leading up to a preshot routine that is usually the culprit and not necessarily the routine before hitting the ball. Just something to look at.

I think there's a difference between having a pre-shot routine and actually taking the club back. Personally I cringe when someone stands over the ball too long, because your body to me is naturally starting to tighten up and that shot after enough time has only a 50/50 chance of turning out ok. I think your playing partner has a good idea. My pre-shot routine I pick my target, point my club at it, then use that to align my feet. Usually take one practice swing and then let it rip. A lot of times I would imagine there's a lot of thoughts going through your head with what you plan to do with the shot. Have your thought as you are picking your target, and then clear your mind, let your prep before the swing do the work.

More times that not I don't find the pre shot routine to be issues for guys but rather the time spent in between when the last person hit to when the next ball is hit. Many times I'm already teeing up my ball as the previous guy is still holding his follow through and waiting for his ball to stop rolling. In the fairway I'm standing behind the ball watching the guy behind me make contact then walking into the ball as soon as contact is made. I've already made my read on the green while the other guy is putting and moving into the ball as he's putting his coin down.

I think it's the time spent leading up to a preshot routine that is usually the culprit and not necessarily the routine before hitting the ball. Just something to look at.

I got accused of not doing this once and since then, I'm always ready. I do the same things you list here Nate.
I can't control his ball, so why stand there and watch it.

I'll take some video for you on Saturday to show you what slow play is. One guy in my regular Saturday group stands over the ball like a statue for like 15-20 seconds before starting his backswing. It's painful to watch.

As far as starting the swing, I sometimes have the same issue. I'll freeze or tense up before I start the backswing which usually leade to me overgripping and hooking it hard left. Like c.a. said, I just try to stay loose, or keep something moving to keep from tensing up. Move my toes, waggle... whatever works.

Alright BigTime you outdrive everyone :D

But on a serious note reading your post makes sense and I see myself in that. I'll watch my playing partner(s) hit and then I'll step up and assess the situation, do my practice swing(s) and then step up. I can save time by simply focusing on what I need to do. Does it matter if he tops it 10 yards in front of him or hits the flagstick? No not at all, that has nothing to do with what my shot is.

The guy holding the finish waiting for the ball to stop rolling is 100% me though, even if it's headed straight into the drink haha.

Haso said:
Personally I cringe when someone stands over the ball too long, because your body to me is naturally starting to tighten up and that shot after enough time has only a 50/50 chance of turning out ok
I mean I've had people tell me the amount of time I stand over the ball THEY even get tense and nervous and all they're doing is standing at the tee box waiting for me to hit haha. So it is definitely something I will try and do a better job of the next two rounds I play, one of them being with a THPer who likes to play golf quick, which I support.

kevin81002 said:
I'll take some video for you on Saturday to show you what slow play is. One guy in my regular Saturday group stands over the ball like a statue for like 15-20 seconds before starting his backswing. It's painful to watch.
hahah ok I am not THAT bad but I definitely understand from someone standing to the side being annoyed at someone taking so long to hit the ball.

I grew up playing hockey including college and AHL.
If I were in your foursome I could solve it. When you got to address I would stand behind you. We would agree anything over four seconds I would have a free shot to tackle you. I would really enjoy it wether it worked or not, and who knows, a little incentive goes a long ways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I grew up playing hockey including college and AHL.
If I were in your foursome I could solve it. When you got to address I would stand behind you. We would agree anything over four seconds I would have a free shot to tackle you. I would really enjoy it wether it worked or not, and who knows, a little incentive goes a long ways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is. Brilliant.

Back