Spiethitis - Help Pulling the Trigger

CobraX51

F-ck Yeah Baby!
Reaction score
Handicap
Let me start by saying I was very happy with how I drove the ball today. 230s-40s-50s. More than adequate for me and I played the blues at 6400. Some of you may know I've been a little timid about the longer courses but with hitting longer drives lately I am no longer intimidated by the yardage on the scorecard. I will get up to 6500 this month somewhere before the Grandaddy.

I shot 44-44 today with a double double finish and some putts that were left inside 3 inches about 4 different times today that could've been an 81-82 type day, but that is golf.

Ok so it's became evident even to me now that I take way too long to swing the golf club at address. I have my little routine when I walk up to the ball but once I set the club it's a **** show. 8-9-10 seconds before I hit the ball and I'm even telling myself while I'm over the ball to start your swing. I'm breathing out, arms hanging low loose, solid grip, but I just don't swing quick.

This isn't even a "Well you hit when you're ready to swing." I don't want to take long swinging the club. Now I did strike the ball ok today. Couple thinned shots and a bad wedge 89 yards out on a Par 5 for your 3rd shot that goes 10 feet right of the green when it was a left pin, oooof.

We finished the round in 3 1/2 hours. I felt our pace of play was good and he even acknnowledged it as we were always about 1 hole behind the foursome ahead of us. Conventional wisdom would say a twosome should pass a foursome within a few holes, but these guys were some players who played well.

On the 16th hole of the day I asked my playing partner to give me advice on pulling the trigger quicker and apologized for doing it today but he said he didn't care, but he showed me his routine. Picks his target, sets his club, looks up, swings. Every shot 2-4 seconds when he gets at address.

So what is your routine? And what can I do to improve this "freeze" moment of just staring at the golf ball??

You seem to be thinking way too much over the ball. That 1.68in ball isn't doing anything man, just hit the bastard. Commit to your shot and just let it go man, the more you think about it, the worse that shot is gonna be.

Ill be honest and say 3.5 for a twosome is pretty slow in my opinion, but its only my opinion. Combine that with over a hole behind a foursome, regardless of skill level kind of confirms it, right? If it were me, and its not, but if it takes a long time to pull the trigger, find other areas to speed up to make up the time.

Then again, I am the wrong person to ask, because I think preshot routines and stuff are overrated. Im certainly in the minority in the online world though.

I wouldnt be so hard on yourself.

Even if you take that 10 seconds down to 5...spread out over 90 shots you are only saving 7.5 minutes for a round, definitely not moving the needle.

Sounds like if the time of the round is an issue there might be some other areas that woukd help improve more drastically

Ill be honest and say 3.5 for a twosome is pretty slow in my opinion, but its only my opinion. Combine that with over a hole behind a foursome, regardless of skill level kind of confirms it, right? If it were me, and its not, but if it takes a long time to pull the trigger, find other areas to speed up to make up the time.

Then again, I am the wrong person to ask, because I think preshot routines and stuff are overrated. Im certainly in the minority in the online world though.
Hey man I take constructive criticism very well so I appreciate the honesty. I'm sort of oblivious as to what a good round of golf should be finished in, but I've played foursomes that finish in 4 hours, so with 2 less players yeah I'd agree that only a half hour less is not really good time.

I want to swing quicker I really do. It's bad with putting as well. I'm a complainer of the speed of the game on the Tour so that's why I bring this up because at least I see the problem, I just have to do something haha

Hey man I take constructive criticism very well so I appreciate the honesty. I'm sort of oblivious as to what a good round of golf should be finished in, but I've played foursomes that finish in 4 hours, so with 2 less players yeah I'd agree that only a half hour less is not really good time.

I want to swing quicker I really do. It's bad with putting as well. I'm a complainer of the speed of the game on the Tour so that's why I bring this up because at least I see the problem, I just have to do something haha

Ill be honest. I dont think the 10 seconds pulling the trigger would be your slow play issue (if there is one). You may not be slow and just beating yourself up over nothing. At the same time, falling a full hole behind a foursome could be a sign that there are some pace issues.

I always say that first look at being ready to play when its your turn. Then look at the amount of time spent around/on the greens.

3.5 hours is really slow as a 2 ball but I think you realize that and you see it so that is better than 98% of golf.

Just give yourself an internal count down and stick to it. Walk up address the ball, give 1 waggle and go 3, 2, 1 take club back. Always use the countdown and always go on 1.

Putting is mostly read your putt when it is not your turn as much as you can and be ready to go.

Going out on a limb, I’d guess time is getting lost in thinking about what shot you’re going to play, looking for balls, and overthinking. The 10 seconds over the ball probably isn’t the issue.

As for falling a hole behind a foursome, that’s an indication that something might be wrong. If they’re playing skins and in carts, while you and your partner are walking it may not mean anything. All things being equal though (ie if both groups are riding) there’s something causing slow play.

Going out on a limb, I’d guess time is getting lost in thinking about what shot you’re going to play, looking for balls, and overthinking. The 10 seconds over the ball probably isn’t the issue.

As for falling a hole behind a foursome, that’s an indication that something might be wrong. If they’re playing skins and in carts, while you and your partner are walking it may not mean anything. All things being equal though (ie if both groups are riding) there’s something causing slow play.

2 ball walking should still play faster than 4 in carts at most courses unless they all have their own carts and all drive to their own balls right away.

2 ball walking should still play faster than 4 in carts at most courses unless they all have their own carts and all drive to their own balls right away.

Generally yes.

I’ve seen some skins games play 5/6somes in three hours though. Some of those groups FLY, most of them aren’t finishing out holes and they take ready golf to a whole new level. Keeping up with a group like that is challenging.

if you’re just asking about pulling the trigger to start the swing, i️ would suggest being more “active” in your setup. little waggles, happy feet, etc. being totally static forces you to go from a static address position to the dynamic swing, and introduces tension.

i️ don’t think your time is terrible. maybe try to shave a few seconds off your other pre and post shot gyrations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like playing fast as much as the next guy, but did they really fall a hole behind or did they start a hole behind? (He said they were always a hole behind). Yeah sure, a twosome could have caught up, but did it matter (like were there groups behind waiting?)?

When we play Dub's as a twosome, it's usually in a little more or a little less than three hours when it's not too busy (Dub's is a pretty long course) and no one is behind us. When it's clear ahead and we know there are groups behind, we'll play faster as needed. I think three hours is perfect at my course, but 3-1/2 hours would be fine for me, as long as no one was being held up by us.

Just give yourself an internal count down and stick to it. Walk up address the ball, give 1 waggle and go 3, 2, 1 take club back. Always use the countdown and always go on 1.
I'll try it I just feel the internal countdown could be an extra thing playing in my mind, but maybe it's better to just focus on that, I'll give it a go.

c.a.eleric said:
i️ would suggest being more “active” in your setup. little waggles, happy feet, etc. being totally static forces you to go from a static address position to the dynamic swing, and introduces tension.
I can be a little stiff but that's why I just exhale and stay loose with my arms dropped, but that exhale turns into another one and I'm like "what is going on with this issue."

The waggle could be a help, I just am very stationary and anal about making sure I'm in the right position at address.

I like playing fast as much as the next guy, but did they really fall a hole behind or did they start a hole behind? (He said they were always a hole behind). Yeah sure, a twosome could have caught up, but did it matter (like were there groups behind waiting?)?

When we play Dub's as a twosome, it's usually in a little more or a little less than three hours when it's not too busy (Dub's is a pretty long course) and no one is behind us. When it's clear ahead and we know there are groups behind, we'll play faster as needed. I think three hours is perfect at my course, but 3-1/2 hours would be fine for me, as long as no one was being held up by us.
I mean a couple of times we would get to the tee box and they're driving up to the green or in some cases walking off the green. The foursome behind us never hit into us, when we were driving to the next hole they would would be getting up to the tee box, they never waited on us.

I mean a couple of times we would get to the tee box and they're driving up to the green or in some cases walking off the green. The foursome behind us never hit into us, when we were driving to the next hole they would would be getting up to the tee box, they never waited on us.

Then as far as I care, you were fine. As long as you can pick up the pace if needed, your time today was no big deal.

Well first thought about pace, 3.5 is a but slow as you should be pushing the foursome, BUT if the group behind you is not pushing, then I really don't see the issue if your working out the kinks before the Grandaddy. Even as a single I try not to force the issue of the group ahead of me unless they are crazy slow. But I also play 18 in under two hours when I have the course to myself. 2 players reasonably should be 3 hours or under.

As for address issues, standing over the ball but trying to tell yourself to swing is not a good thing, I would say keep your routine the same and relax, but make sure to play ready golf also, it drives me nuts if another playing partner is watching someone else hit, then everyone is standing around watching that player pick his club, think about what shot they are going to take, then address the ball for a long time.... Yikes.

I can't imagine all the stuff going through your head right now. Just keep the grind going and don't make too many drastic changes as your only a month out at this point. You got this cobra!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Pick a target, take a stance, hit the ball and accept the outcome.
Accepting the outcome of the shot will help you pull the trigger quicker.

You were not slow the time we played, you are trying to get your game right so if you play in "oh my god" 3.5 hrs so what.

Enjoy every minute of your lead up to the G.D. getting there is half the fun.
Why rush if you are staying ahead of the group behind you comfortably, just relax and make quality shots.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I agree. It also sounds to me like you might be taking too much time on the greens or not playing ready golf. There is no reason a twosome shouldn’t finish in 3 hours or less. My daughter shot 56 the other day and we walked 9 in 1:20 minutes.

Honestly, I don't take practice swings like most do. I feel like doing that not only slows me down but I feel like if the first practice swing isn't perfect I have to keep making them until I get a perfect one then when I get on the ball I start thinking about it and end up hitting like crap. So for me, I check my yardage, select my club, address the ball and at address I take a moment to relax, check my grip, and tell myself to just be smooth and swing. I am probably at the ball 1-2 seconds and then swing. I wouldn't say what you are doing is wrong as long as it works for you but if you find its not working for you try a different routine until you do find what works. Everyone is different so I don't think you are going to find any one answer on what to do that will solve your problem. Part of it is probably confidence and overthinking and the rest is just getting that good routine that works for you. Of course I am pretty new to the game but just my 2 cents worth for what its worth.

You seem to be thinking way too much over the ball. That 1.68in ball isn't doing anything man, just hit the bastard. Commit to your shot and just let it go man, the more you think about it, the worse that shot is gonna be.

I agree. I pick a spot in front of my ball out about 5 to 10 feet as my target line and go. I've done it thousands of times. No need to stand over it and start thinking. Don't that on the range.

Slow play - I don't like to be sucking air from tee to green to the next tee. Going through a swing change and experimenting too much, I know that I could take 10 seconds off the board, but I am presently playing with uncertainty, which is never a good thing.

Try to visualize your swing as it relates to the target while the others are teeing off. When you get set, take a practice swing to loosen up, and visualize the ball flight while moving, do not stay still over the ball. Look at the target, only glance at the ball, set your eyes for 2 seconds, and then swing.

Putting - once again, while everyone else is putting or doing their prestroke reading, do the same, don't stand by the ball doing nothing. Find the line you want, read, while staying out of the eye of the guy putting. Once it's your turn, get the final read, line up the putter at address to your target, I don't take a practice stroke while putting as I found it's not necessary if you are relaxed and thinking target line. Keep moving over the ball, look hard at the target, only glance at the ball, look hard at target, set the eyes for 2 seconds, and go.

You were not slow the time we played, you are trying to get your game right so if you play in "oh my god" 3.5 hrs so what.

Enjoy every minute of your lead up to the G.D. getting there is half the fun.
Why rush if you are staying ahead of the group behind you comfortably, just relax and make quality shots.
I appreciate that and this summer I've played a lot of golf with dwchockey and we'll get back out there next weekend. But I even asked him is their a problem with my pace of play.

He was honest and said I have my pre-shot routine, take a practice swing or two, then "fit" getting into position instead of just stepping up and swinging. And that is why people are trying to get me to be less mechanical and more free wheeling.

Hey, if you weren't holding anyone up, no harm done. Take however long you want.

As for the 10 seconds over the ball, I used to be known as "The Statue". It took me a while to make myself swing sooner. i mean actively forcing myself to swing. I used to just set up and wait for the "perfect moment" to swing.

Now, I adress the ball, count "3,2,1" while squeezing and relaxing my grip on each number, and on "1", Istart the backswing.

Hey, if you weren't holding anyone up, no harm done. Take however long you want.

As for the 10 seconds over the ball, I used to be known as "The Statue". It took me a while to make myself swing sooner. i mean actively forcing myself to swing. I used to just set up and wait for the "perfect moment" to swing.

Now, I adress the ball, count "3,2,1" while squeezing and relaxing my grip on each number, and on "1", I start the backswing.
Thanks for the feedback. You're the 2nd person to mention the "3-2-1" method so I will do that tomorrow on the range and try it both of my rounds I have coming up over the next few days .

As for the bolded part that is how I feel now. It's just a dead pause, silence, and exhaling to stay loose. I just want to be more free and less tense.

Back