Hitting range balls you didn't pay for

My clubs range balls are included in the membership. But on a similar note, I can't stand that I find range balls all over the four courses. People apparently steal them from the range to use on course so that they lose the clubs balls and not their own. That's ridiculous.

Really curious, what's the difference between grabbing range balls from the stall next you (that you didn't pay for) and picking them from the range (that you didn't pay for)?

Isn't that like walking the halls of a hotel and finishing off a sandwich that somebody had left over?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Isn't that like walking the halls of a hotel and finishing off a sandwich that somebody had left over?

I guess you could argue that at least somebody paid for them. It's abandoned property then?

Really curious, what's the difference between grabbing range balls from the stall next you (that you didn't pay for) and picking them from the range (that you didn't pay for)?

I think It's because someone paid for them and just didn't hit them all. Shagging them from the range you're grabbing balls that have already been hit

I'm wondering how many do this. Show up early to the course and scavenge range balls because you didn't buy balls. But had time to but just can't bring yourself to spend the $5 for a small bucket. I'm not talking a few sitting at a station but actually walking into the range to grab balls.

If you do, then do you also eat off other people's plates when the leave a restaurant? Just curious....
I've never done that. I do usually grab 2-3 junk balls from my stash to hit into the range from near the first tee on Sunday mornings though.

I think It's because someone paid for them and just didn't hit them all. Shagging them from the range you're grabbing balls that have already been hit

But the balls on the range were paid for as well right? Isn't that stealing from the course?

I don't know that I have walked onto the range to retrieve balls but if there is a half empty bucket that no one is hitting I might go hit them if time permits.

Uhmmmmm, no. I won't pick up balls on the range and hit them. What gives people the audacity to essentially steal from the golf course/ranges and put themselves in harms way?

Now if there's a couple stragglers in a stall near me on the teeing area, that's a little different to me.

I've never done that. I do usually grab 2-3 junk balls from my stash to hit into the range from near the first tee on Sunday mornings though.
Why? Why not just get a small bucket and warm up properly?

But the balls on the range were paid for as well right? Isn't that stealing from the course?

What bugs me is when people don't pay with explicit intent of just hawking balls other have paid for. I can understand a once in a while thing, if your rushed. But to be at the course way ahead of your time, knowing you want to hit balls. And then walking around looking for balls for 15min. That is wrong and they are stealing from the course.

1. The range balls are bad, and the mats you hit them from, even worse.

2. We tee off pretty early and I'm usually running from the car to the tee.

I don't know that I have walked onto the range to retrieve balls but if there is a half empty bucket that no one is hitting I might go hit them if time permits.
I'll do the same in that case, with absolutely no remorse. But I'm not going to go and gather range balls to hit, thats weird.
Not everyone needs or wants that many to warm up dude. Lots of different situations and circumstances, for me, I don't have time to go through a full bucket/bag after work if I want to get 18 in, so I'll hit a couple 8i shag balls and go to the tee.

Weird that shows me on Pandas quote, lol

never even crossed my mind, occasionally I'll hit them back off #1 fairway, runs parallel to range, bad slicers can put them just on to left edge. I have a bunch of range ball coupons I keep winning on men's nite, more than I need so I even share them with friends that want some range time.

i have witnessed this all time. Now i drive to an open fairway and hit about a dozen of my own balls to loosen up and play all the way to the green. Easy to do and doesn't bother anyone really . I also play super early now so not to many on the links. Had a gambling buddy do this all the time during busy play and he would walk in front of people hitting. Embarassing really, and the sad thing he was a plus handicap and a doctor.

I would never consider walking into a range to grab a few balls , If you can't afford a small bucket of balls then you probably should wait till payday to schedule a round.

Now I will be honest and say that out of a bucket that I pay for if I hit a couple toppers that go just beyond the ropes ,not into the range, I may go get that ONE or TWO balls if it was at the end of the bucket . I can't leave the range on a bad shot.

I don't see anything wrong with hitting range balls that someone else paid for and left behind on the range. I have done it hundreds of times. When I was younger and didn't have a lot of money it was common for me a couple days a week to buy a large bucket of 75 balls and then move down the range to a spot where someone had left balls behind to go make their tee time. It was very common for me to hit 250+ balls a few days each week this way. When I moved to California in 1998 I found a public course that had a range pass for $40 per month which was a steal for someone like me. Now I'm at a private club where the range balls are included and I still often hit a full pyramid of 285 balls in each of my range sessions.

I don't see anything wrong with hitting range balls that someone else paid for and left behind on the range. I have done it hundreds of times. When I was younger and didn't have a lot of money it was common for me a couple days a week to buy a large bucket of 75 balls and then move down the range to a spot where someone had left balls behind to go make their tee time. It was very common for me to hit 250+ balls a few days each week this way. When I moved to California in 1998 I found a public course that had a range pass for $40 per month which was a steal for someone like me. Now I'm at a private club where the range balls are included and I still often hit a full pyramid of 285 balls in each of my range sessions.
Same here , did it thousands of times. I will leave a lot as well

give a little take a little. No biggie really, no course I ever played even cared about this. Now walking on the range is a different story. What a goofy thread, just one of those to stir the pot

I'll do the same in that case, with absolutely no remorse. But I'm not going to go and gather range balls to hit, thats weird.

Not everyone needs or wants that many to warm up dude. Lots of different situations and circumstances, for me, I don't have time to go through a full bucket/bag after work if I want to get 18 in, so I'll hit a couple 8i shag balls and go to the tee.
That is why I asked

Same here , did it thousands of times. I will leave a lot as well

give a little take a little. No biggie really, no course I ever played even cared about this. Now walking on the range is a different story. What a goofy thread, just one of those to stir the pot
If you look at the OP, he wasn't taking issue with hitting left over range balls at stations, but going onto the range to collect balls and putting themselves in danger. One instance is stealing and dangerous, the other is using leftovers and thrifty.

If you look at the OP, he wasn't taking issue with hitting left over range balls at stations, but going onto the range to collect balls and putting themselves in danger. One instance is stealing and dangerous, the other is using leftovers and thrifty.
Don't bite

Is this really a thing people do? I used to grab the extra balls people left, but now the wife and i share one bucket, and then go work on other parts of our game. Otherwise i have a few days of pain.

I'm wondering how many do this. Show up early to the course and scavenge range balls because you didn't buy balls. But had time to but just can't bring yourself to spend the $5 for a small bucket. I'm not talking a few sitting at a station but actually walking into the range to grab balls.

If you do, then do you also eat off other people's plates when the leave a restaurant? Just curious....

Wouldn't be possible at the range on my old home course. They pick the range last thing every night and there are very few balls that are missed by the picker, so not much to scavenge.

Back