Grandura Shafts Review Thread

I had my first chance to test out the Grandura shaft tonight (530, 65 grams, stiff flex), but first, I thought it would be help for people to know a little about myself and my game.

My handicap right now sits at 9.5. I'd say that the strength of my game is short game and putting, and driving is the weakest part of my game. For the year, I'm at 39% fairways hit, and that's with some 3 woods and hybrids taken off of the tee instead of hitting driver all the time. I'd guess that my percentage with the driver is even lower than the 39% number. For the better part of the past year, I've struggled with a 2-way miss off of the tee: either a quick hook or a big block. Obviously, some of that is due to my swing and not the club, but it's been frustrating. My swing is very long, with a pretty aggressive transition (at least it feels like that). Most people look at my swing and think John Daly, I like to think that my swing is a little more like Phil Mickelson. Anyways, here's a swing from last fall so that you can see what my action is like:

Speaking of my driver: I was fit into it last summer at Club Champion here in Boston, and I felt really good about the process. However, at that time, my swing speed was in the 97-99 mph range with ball speeds in the high 140s with really good contact. After taking some lessons this year, I haven't had my swing speed rechecked, but I've seen ball speeds with my driver during those lessons as high as 159 mph. Thus, I know that I've gained some swing speed, which is why I estimated my swing speed at 105 mph for my entry into this testing. This year, I've hit some really big drives, but I've also hit some offline drives that have me questioning whether my current driver shaft is still the best fit for me.

In terms of my driver shaft, my gamer right now is a Mitsubishi Diamana B-series 60 in stiff flex. The actual weight is 64 grams. I'm a big believer in the shaft being the engine of the club, and I don't tend to change very much in terms of shafts. The only driver shafts I played in the past 5 years have been the B-series I'm playing now, the Diamana Kai'li 60 (very similar to the B-series), and the Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6 in stiff flex. FWIW, I play the Diamana Kai'li 70 in my 3 wood and really like that club, so the Kai'li profile is something that I really feel comfortable with right now.

The next post will talk about the performance that I saw tonight, but hopefully this background information will help those reading this thread to know about my swing and game.

So now onto the fun stuff, seeing what this shaft could do. I had to get a new grip and a new adapter put on by Golfsmith, and wasn't able to pick the shaft up until earlier today. When I got the shaft, it was exactly the same length as my current driver shaft, but with the new adapter on there, it's just slightly shorter than my gamer shaft. I haven't had a chance to take a ruler to measure the difference, but would estimate that it's a 1/4 inch at most. That's not a big deal because my current driver setup is 44.75 inches, but I've played drivers at 44.5 inches in the past.

I probably hit 80 balls with my driver tonight, alternating between my Diamana B-Series shaft and the Grandura shaft. I ended up hitting about 3/4 of those balls with the Grandura shaft. The first thing I noticed, even before hitting any balls, is that the club overall felt a little heavier with the Grandura shaft in it than my current shaft. The shaft weight of the Grandura shaft is listed at 65 grams, and there's no way that I'm good enough to feel 1 gram of difference; perhaps the balance point or the swingweight is a bit different with the Grandura shaft in it. The second thing I noticed is that the Grandura shaft has an "all business" look to it; I don't think anything can beat the look of the Blue Diamana shaft with a blue grip and blue Cobra clubhead, but the look of the Grandura shaft isn't offensive at all.

The range that I go to has lights, which is great for hitting at night, except that the end of the range isn't well lit. So while I could see most of my ballflight, I really couldn't see where any of the balls were landing. There is a fence at 260 yards out that I can normally have the balls roll into the base of after a couple of bounces, and I can occasionally fly the ball into that fence, but on a night like tonight, I couldn't tell where the balls were ending up. So I'm not going to try to estimate distances for the Grandura shaft vs. my gamer.

I realize that feel is very subjective, but under the hands, I didn't feel very much of a difference at all between my Diamana shaft and the Grandura shaft. The difference that I felt was lower in the shaft. I felt like the lower half of the shaft, especially near the tip, was a little softer in the Diamana shaft than the Grandura shaft. So while the Diamana shaft felt a little softer overall and had a little more kick at the bottom for me, which are both things that I like. As I hit the Grandura shaft more, I started to realize that I could be a little more aggressive with the Grandura shaft, and that shaft held up pretty well. Just going off of tonight, I'd say that the Grandura shaft plays a bit stiffer than the Diamana shaft.

On the performance side of things, overall I saw a tighter ballflight with the Grandura shaft than the Diamana shaft. The Diamana shaft was what I've been seeing all year: I could hit some shots where it felt like the ball exploded off of the clubface, but then hit some shots where I know that if I was on the course, I'd be reaching for a provisional ball. With the Grandura shaft, I didn't see as many "explosive" shots, but definitely saw more shots where the side-to-side movement was less than my gamer. Initially, I was also seeing a lower ballflight with the Grandura shaft than the Diamana shaft. However, as the range session went along, I was able to hit some balls with the Grandura shaft that were just as high as the Diamana shaft. Like I said earlier, I don't have any hard numbers to go off of, but if I can get similar launch/spin numbers as my current gamer AND see improved dispersion, I'll be a pretty happy guy.

One other thing that I'll have to monitor: I like to see the ball draw, which is right-to-left for me. I was seeing more shots with a fade when using the Grandura shaft than the Diamana shaft. I'm not sure if that's an indication that the Grandura shaft is stiffer than the Diamana shaft overall or just in terms of the tip section, but it was slightly concerning to me. It's not good to aim down the right half of a fairway and get a fade when I'm expecting a draw. I'm not saying that I wasn't able to hit a draw with the Grandura shaft, and my big miss (the quick hook) actually came out at times later in the session. But the fades were there, which was something new for me.

As others have stated, this is the first time I've tested a shaft like this, so I'm just trying to put together my thoughts and impressions in the best way that I can. Please feel free to ask questions if you have them.

Great stuff, Amol. I am seeing similar things as far as the fades go and lack of draws.

Heading to the range right now to get some more thoughts

great write up amol. and that's a good looking swing too!

I'm hoping for a round this week, and some more range time. I have a big deadline at work on 9/15, but hopefully can knock it out by wednesday.

for those following along at home, what else do you want to know about these shafts? there was a lot of hype and buzz around here when jb was giving us exclusive peaks at the product, so I definitely to make sure I answer any and all ?s y'all have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amol solid thoughts and similar to what I'm seeing with mine. Dispersion is spot on with your description and when you mentioned that at times you don't feel the "explosion" at impact I was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure if it's because we both played the Diamana and the Grandura is more stable through the bottom half. A few times with the Grandura I hit some shots that I felt made solid contact and came away thinking the shaft is helping on the downswing .

Is higher launch still a trend for you testers?
So far I've gathered that for most of you the Grandura is offering tighter dispersion than your gamer, that it launches nicely, and it prefers to go right.

Sounds like a dream.

Also, perhaps I've missed it, but what price will these be sold at? Only through local fitters and retailers or through their website also?

So far I've gathered that for most of you the Grandura is offering tighter dispersion than your gamer, that it launches nicely, and it prefers to go right.

Sounds like a dream.

higher launch on the lm, but not yet on the course. tight dispersion though.

preference to go right? maybe because the tip isn't terribly active? for me I've seen it responsive both left and right, favoring right only because my driver swing tends to be a cut shape.

Sounds like a dream.
For me it is. The 550 launches very nicely, higher than what I've been playing. I play straight or a slight fade so I can't say if it prefers right or not, I guess I'll have to go attempt some draws and see haha I'd imagine you could go any direction with pretty much any shaft if you wanted.

Sounds like a dream.

I don't think I am seeing any higher launch than I did with my previous shaft with a similar profile.

Sounds like a dream.

I'm not seeing a higher launch. In fact the launch is right there if not lower based on my round yesterday. The big takeaway is that the ball flight rises and falls without any "ballooning", it's a flight I like to see and the balls are holding there intended line off the tee.

Sounds like a dream.

No. the 530 65g X I am testing is not designed to launch higher (supposedly a low to low-mid profile) and I believe it is accomplishing exactly that.

For what it's worth, I have yet to see tighter dispersion, at least not enough to actually make the claim. I've seen tight draws and horrible hooks -- And that's all dependent on my swing quality on each shot. I've also found that overall, the 65x is quite stout, and while the transition is exceptional on well timed swings, there is a definitive response of sturdiness when my swing is even a little off. It's making me wonder if users can take the approach of actually flexing back a bit (where I could go to a TS and still enjoy a stout offering).

Sounds like a dream.

If anything, the Grandura shaft launches lower than my current shaft. I can see some shots where the launch looks pretty similar, but I still think the Diamana shaft I'm playing now has a slightly higher launch, and visually the ball looks like there is more spin on it than with the Grandura shaft.

Sounds like a dream.
The launch is good and high, even with the head down to 8.5. I've hit some of the longest drives I ever have with this combo (8.5, neutral) I'm pretty stoked about the extra distance because I was not expecting it. I have to find out for sure, but I think the extra is coming from less spin with the lower loft. The ball flight for me has been mostly dead straight to a little draw,bad strikes excluded, of course. It will hook off the toe and fade off the heel, as one would expect.

Definitely an "as advertised" launch for me.

Good range session today. Most of my larger fades are due to a swing issue I'm currently battling, but I am still finding it harder to turn over left than my previous shaft. I think I would absolutely love to try the RS flex which would be a tad softer with some more torque, to see if that gave me a bit more ability to draw the ball.

That being said, I've yet to have a swing where I've felt that the shaft I am testing is "too much" shaft for me.

I can also share the same feeling Mike and arydolphin are having that I don't feel that 'explosion' into the ball that my previous shaft had, but I'm seeing similar if not a tad more distance.

Im in love with the 590. That and my GBB at 11.5 degrees is giving me 15.6 degrees of launch and 2846 spin with a max height of 98 feet. Im carrying the ball further than I ever have.

Im in love with the 590. That and my GBB at 11.5 degrees is giving me 15.6 degrees of launch and 2846 spin with a max height of 98 feet. Im carrying the ball further than I ever have.
What flex?

I'm curious about the 590. How soft is the tip section in it?
I guess for me the holy grail would be Kusala White performance without the crazy soft tip section.

I guess for me the holy grail would be Kusala White performance without the crazy soft tip section.

To me not quite as soft in terms of feel, but the numbers are similar for me, a bit lower launching.

I have played the kusala white in 56s, and the 590 in 71ts launches, FOR ME, lower on all but the best swings.

after a short time, I'm going to agree with Dan that users (particularly THIS user) would likely benefit dropping back a flex. so far I am finding less than best swings to suffer launch and distance, but still find the fairway where other shafts would be short and in the rough.

Some really good feedback guys, thanks a ton.

It would be cool to get on a monitor with the same shaft in multiple flexes to see if these are playing 'stiff to flex' or if that's just how they feel.

Had a great session yesterday at the range. Launched a little low at first set up at 8.5, but then I got it down and hit a bunch through the range, littering the fairway beyond. The range I was at (Miller's Glen ) has a big upslope at the end, which I lasered at 234,and then one of the fairways is behind the mound. All but mishits easily carried the upslope. After getting warmed up I hit a couple as hard as I possibly can, and those carried well over the upslope. This shaft can take anything I can dish out and still feels so solid, from easy swings to flat out. I don't think I have ever swung a shaft that feels like this.
Dispersion was good again, mostly dead straight, with a few pushes and push fades scattered in. I mean dead straight too, if they moved any to the left or right it was imperceptible to me. The only hooks came from high toe hits, which is my typical miss.

I'm looking forward to finally getting some swings in with this today.

Sorry I missed it earlier. Which shaft do you have and what is the weight? Looking forward to seeing your thoughts

I'm looking forward to finally getting some swings in with this today.

Back