Share your stats....I dare you

I have NEVER kept stats. Way too much information for me. I have enough trouble keeping the score current!

I have NEVER kept stats. Way too much information for me. I have enough trouble keeping the score current!
Lol, try an app like golfshot. Youd be surprised how much knowing your stats can improve your game.

Been playing a lot of golf for me lately and really just focusing on stats more than score

greens in reg: averaging about 13 a round / 6 or 7 for 9
Scoring as of late: high 70's ... Finally making some progress. Made some huge huge changes
putts: 30 to 31 a round ( this is where I'm struggling )

fairways hit: i would say about 70 % but getting better
ball flight : new swing is producing a nice slight low push cut
birdies: at least 2 per 18 now
others: still gets me (this is what hurting my score) (bad shot at the wrong time)
Most pars in a row this season : 9 straight
driver distance : using modern stuff about 260 driver with roll

7 iron distance: comfortable 165

wedge: a perfect 115 .. Right on the money
sw : perfect 90 for me
lob: 65 to 70 ... Improving on this

stats: especially greens in regulation are what I really focused on when doing a complete swing overhaul. Always include this on the card now

Last edited:
Last FIFTY rounds:
FIR 43.9
GIR 19.8
Scrambling 15.6
Putts/GIR 2.2

Last TWENTY rounds:
FIR 48.4
GIR 20.8
Scrambling 20.3
Putts/GIR 2.2

So, some gains made, but still not in putts per GIR and probably why I'm not making advances in lowering my cap.

I will be honest,I have not kept stats like I should. Last round was my first round I kept GIR,Putts and Fairways. I intend on finding an app to track club used,sandsaves and ect. I believe then I can focus more of what I need to improve most and go from there.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Try Golfshot. It works really well and is free for basic stat tracking. Just punch in the info after each hole and it shows up on the web. Really convenient

Fairway accuracy in my book is overrated. Sometimes a longer shot in the first cut is better than a shorter one in the fairway. You can dribble one off the tee that makes it to the fairway and get a FIR. That stat is a joke. It only really matters for top golfers. And if the second cut is mowed down to first cut height does it really matter? No. What you don't want is the ball going into the tall fescue or into the tree line. And another example. You know what really happened. I played for a while with my 5 iron because I had zero confidence in my driver. It showed only 56% fairway accuracy. Yet there are some red dots on the right 206 yds out on the right. Now I remember where those were - hit the dog leg on the hole but those shots were in rough, barely in the second cut, but with a very good approach angle, and I had a very good lie, and got pars on the hole.

What would you rather have? 220 dead center or 260 in the second cut but in a position where you can play a lob wedge onto the green?

This said I show a 44% fairway accuracy, 26% GIR, 2.1 putts/hole, 10% scrambling, average score 95.1.

Share your stats....I dare you

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441672742.279663.jpg

That was my last round

My last 5 rounds go 63% fwys, 46% Girs, and 30 putts a round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4af12b13a252c62c2edce61dbce96e62.jpg

Stat I am most happy about is the scoring averages. I'm avoiding the big number way better than last year.

I don't have my stats except for handicap.... 3.8 index. Have worked my butt off to get there this year. I know I need to hit more fairways.

I don't have my stats except for handicap.... 3.8 index. Have worked my butt off to get there this year. I know I need to hit more fairways.
Hey, 3.8 is good. I had a round where I hit 71% fairways and one of those was a complete duff where the ball trickled onto the fairway. It counts as a FIR! I would have been happier with a long bomber in the rough. Jordan Spieth hits 63% fairways (292). Jason Day hits 56% (314). Ricky Fowler hits 63% (297).

Now if you want to cry....

Stacy Lewis, 78% (247); Lydia Ko 73% (250); Lexi Thompson 66% (268).

The further you hit it, the less margin for error, but the further you hit it, the further away you can use a more accurate club.

Hey, 3.8 is good. I had a round where I hit 71% fairways and one of those was a complete duff where the ball trickled onto the fairway. It counts as a FIR! I would have been happier with a long bomber in the rough. Jordan Spieth hits 63% fairways (292). Jason Day hits 56% (314). Ricky Fowler hits 63% (297).

Now if you want to cry....

Stacy Lewis, 78% (247); Lydia Ko 73% (250); Lexi Thompson 66% (268).

The further you hit it, the less margin for error, but the further you hit it, the further away you can use a more accurate club.
Yeah I just scramble like crazy. I'd say my FIR is probably about 25%. It's ridiculous.... But as @rambler will tell you, I somehow play well out of the trees, weeds and rough.

Yeah I just scramble like crazy. I'd say my FIR is probably about 25%. It's ridiculous.... But as @rambler will tell you, I somehow play well out of the trees, weeds and rough.
It's beyond ridiculous... It's almost stupid. I've never seen someone make as many pars as you have, from the places you have.

4af12b13a252c62c2edce61dbce96e62.jpg

Stat I am most happy about is the scoring averages. I'm avoiding the big number way better than last year.

What stat app do you use?

I average 3.3 putts per hole. My lowest score is +28 on 9 holes. I don't know what fairways or greens are. I have a very repeatable swing I call "The Box of Chocolates" I never know what I'm gonna get.

not sure if this is what you're asking for. all over the last 20 rounds:

scoring average 85.4
1 eagle (0.3%), 17 birdies (5.0%), 139 pars (40.6%), 132 bogeys (38.6%), 34 doubles (9.9%), 19 others (5.6%)
fir 52.1% (fyi this wasn't tracked over all 20 rounds)
gir 41.0% (fyi this wasn't tracked over all 20 rounds)
putts per round 33.1
par performance on par 3 3.7
par performance on par 4 4.7
par performance on par 5 5.7

current cap is 8.1, trending to 8.4

I'm taking it as you must need the upgraded version.

No, I don't think so. The free version keeps stats and will give you yardage to the center of the green. The pay version gives yardages to pretty much every feature on a hole except the pin, but including front, back, and middle yardages. All of my round stats have shown up online since I downloaded the app. I used the free one for about 2 weeks before upgrading. It is a handy app to have and doesn't eat up much battery. I dig it.

I use to keep some basic stats but no longer do that because I know what/where things don't work. I just don't feel they served much purpose. Imo if one plays enough golf they should have a good grasp on what areas of play they need to improve on without having to rely on the stats to tell you.

And besides, stats can be very skewed anyway.
Like putting - which imo depends how far one is putting and also when not counting a putt from the fringe or apron as a putt because its technically not. If one wants to know how well he is doing with his putter, then imo he need to count fringe and apron putts (even though not technically a putt) and also know all the distances of all putts.

Like up/down or save% - which is only technically attempted when for par. Well what about all the greenside play where one is trying to get up/down but its for bogey or even double. simply because he got in that position late due to poor tee shot and/or poor approach shot that costed a stroke or even 2 or 3? If one wants to know how well his shorty greenside stuff is doing he imo should also count his successes vs attempts every time he is greenside regardless of whether or not its for par.

Like FIR - hitting short all day and barely fairway but still counts as a fairway even though far off from the shots you wanted.

Etc, etc, ....I can also think of other examples how stats can be skewed when it comes to them serving a purpose. I think some of them need to be adjusted outside of technical definitions if one truly wants the stats to help themselves realize anything

My last 5 rounds

l2nCeob.png

I use to keep some basic stats but no longer do that because I know what/where things don't work. I just don't feel they served much purpose. Imo if one plays enough golf they should have a good grasp on what areas of play they need to improve on without having to rely on the stats to tell you.

And besides, stats can be very skewed anyway.
Like putting - which imo depends how far one is putting and also when not counting a putt from the fringe or apron as a putt because its technically not. If one wants to know how well he is doing with his putter, then imo he need to count fringe and apron putts (even though not technically a putt) and also know all the distances of all putts.

Like up/down or save% - which is only technically attempted when for par. Well what about all the greenside play where one is trying to get up/down but its for bogey or even double. simply because he got in that position late due to poor tee shot and/or poor approach shot that costed a stroke or even 2 or 3? If one wants to know how well his shorty greenside stuff is doing he imo should also count his successes vs attempts every time he is greenside regardless of whether or not its for par.

Like FIR - hitting short all day and barely fairway but still counts as a fairway even though far off from the shots you wanted.

Etc, etc, ....I can also think of other examples how stats can be skewed when it comes to them serving a purpose. I think some of them need to be adjusted outside of technical definitions if one truly wants the stats to help themselves realize anything
Well, you have to start somewhere....
Your points have validity, but are not necessarily good reasons not to track statistics.

My last 5 rounds

l2nCeob.png
What app is that? I really like the looks and I need to start keeping better stats.

Oh and your stats are pretty great.

I actually haven't been keeping stats this year. Trying to just feel out where my game needs improving. At the end of the day, the score is the only stat that counts, and those have been lower than ever for me.

What app is that? I really like the looks and I need to start keeping better stats.

Oh and your stats are pretty great.
Golfshot

Back