Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

Swing speed is only one aspect of choosing flex, as y'all know.

Other factors are tempo, aggressive or not transition, late or early release.

I appreciate the GBB the more time I spend with it.

Swing speed is only one aspect of choosing flex, as y'all know.

Other factors are tempo, aggressive or not transition, late or early release.

I appreciate the GBB the more time I spend with it.

I agree I have a smooth slow tempo, but how aggressive could you get with our swing speeds.

Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

Gonna have a full write up soon, but after my first 36 holes with the GBB, all I can say is wow.

Finally got my GBB out today for 36. My first swings came at the range with all stock settings 10.5/N/S and the results were mixed. A couple of good ones and a couple of really bad ones. I'm awful on the range most of the time anways, so I tried to not get frustrated. Moved the weight all the way to one side and then the other and then remembered how I had the APW set with the '14 BB. Right between the middle and draw. Bumped the loft up to 12.5 and immediately saw better results. Took it to the first tee and in that first 18, I hit 6 out of 7 fairways with the GBB with distances very similar to what I saw in my 815.

The big difference is the consistency for me. I'm not sure if it's the LZ Red being a little heavier than the LZ Blue or if the R-Moto face is just doing that great of a job, but just about every ball was right down the middle. Not left-center or right-center, but right down the middle and going right over the top of the 150 stick. With the LZ Blue in the 815, I could get a little stuck and leave it out right or overcook it left, but it just seems like the ball just wants to go straight off the GBB. When hitting it well, I can get it 260 with the driver, so added distance isn't a really big concern, but I want to jump on the Flightscope this weekend to see what spin and LA I'm seeing and maybe pick up a few yards, but if you can offer me more accuracy with the same ball speeds I was getting with the 815, sign me up.

Just_hacking had his ES12 launch monitor out there and even though it assumes ideal LA and spin for total distance (right?), it was giving me a 151 ball speed, which is what I saw from the 815, so right in line with what I'm used to. (I did have one jump up to 157 ball speed, but we'll just call that an outlier :alien:)

I didn't keep stats the 2nd 18, but it was more of the same. I missed a couple more fairways, but I pulled driver more because I played the blues instead of the whites the 2nd round of the day, so my accuracy was about the same. I'm really hoping this accuracy follows me to Cog Hill this weekend. I was worried about taking a new driver up there, but after today, I know making the upgrade from the 815 was the right choice.

Last edited:
Well, it appears that I will have to pick up a GBB soon.

I impulse purchased a Project X Handcrafted LZ 70 6.5 with callaway tip from someone who hit it one time for $85/shipped. It sounded like a smoking deal, and I have heard a lot of good things about that shaft, I went ahead and did it.

I'm looking at getting a GBB with either the 7M4, D+, or rogue 70 shaft. If anybody has hit that combo and has thoughts, that would be great. Thanks.

Silly question. Has anyone gone through an in-store fitting for the GBB yet?

Curious how it went for you, and if you were fit into a setup you would not have considered previously?

Curious how it went for you, and if you were fit into a setup you would not have considered previously?

I did one at Club Champion (best numbers came with a Ping G30 head) and it worked best for me with an Aldila Tour Green and the swing weight at D4. This was in a 9.5 setting and the shaft at 45.25". My struggle with the GBB is that it goes left more often then note and the sliding weight doesn't help me at all when moved to fade. I want to love this head but as we all know you need to play what works best.

I watched someone do this the other day at a Golfsmith. While I would not consider it a top notch fitting, it was fine for most and they ordered a shaft and flex they would not have considered.

Can you get more draw spin with last years BB as you can also change the 5gr weight for something heavier in the heel of the head as well as the sliding weight, as I see that the GBB doesn't have a removable weight in the heel of the head only the sliding weight.

So I am really getting dialed in with this one. Got on the FlightScope and really went after getting it right and am absolutely sold on what I am seeing. Its perfect for me and I am not sure I can get anything else out of a driver than I am seeing with this one.

So I am really getting dialed in with this one. Got on the FlightScope and really went after getting it right and am absolutely sold on what I am seeing. Its perfect for me and I am not sure I can get anything else out of a driver than I am seeing with this one.

I feel exactly the same way honestly.

I am liking mine a lot so far, I have a GD AD DI 6S shaft in mine which I keep moving to each new driver. I like the combo but would live to try a Grandura shaft when they come out. I am going between 10.5 and 11.5 and it has straightened me out quite a bit, hitting more fairways. I would love to see some numbers on a launch monitor the only place nearby that I have access to is PGA SS but they make you use their limited flight balls so I just don't trust the numbers. Tried swapping my own balls but the numbers are off the charts, might be because my balls had no marking on them, there balls are covered with Black marks. Anyone have experience with these balls, any idea how far off the numbers will be using them?

Hands down, the best driver I have tried all year. The absolute total package. Really really want to get properly fit for one and add one to my bag!

Jealous of you guys who are seeing such good results. I just wasn't able to get it dialed in to my mess of a swing. I've got a ton of Callaway love but it's a one way street right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm trying to resist buying one for obvious reasons, but man all the good vibes coming out of this thread is so dang tempting.

I'm trying to resist buying one for obvious reasons, but man all the good vibes coming out of this thread is so dang tempting.

Definitely hold off - congratulations on your spot on the team.

Its THAT good.

JB any chance of getting a video of your swing? Not trying to bait you or anything just want a reference point when reading your Input on stuff so I can see if it would apply to how I swing. If not I understand.

Really hoping to jump on the FlightScope this weekend to see if there's much of a difference in what I saw from the 815 as far as spin/LA are concerned. I really don't want to touch anything after how straight I hit it this past weekend, but just want to make sure I #LeaveNoYardBehind

So I believe I got my GBB last night from the THP contest. I should be able to check it out tonight when I get home. Doesn't look like golf is in the cards this weekend, but I'll definitely try to find some range time over the next week. Looking forward to trying it out!

So I believe I got my GBB last night from the THP contest. I should be able to check it out tonight when I get home. Doesn't look like golf is in the cards this weekend, but I'll definitely try to find some range time over the next week. Looking forward to trying it out!

Aim this way and I will let you know where your shots land. I'll wear a hard hat so I don't get injured.

this will be fun. I have a feeling it's going to be something like Jake hit ball, ball go far. Rinse and repeat

So needless to say, I've been very happy with the fact that I came on here and spoke to some of you about the GBB and the 816. I've had the GBB in the bag for 2 weeks now and I am LOVING it. Great yardage and consistency and my misses are so much less exaggerated. Also I can't promise you will have the same results but about 80% of the time now when I pull or push the ball into the tree line, the ball pops out lol. And every time I look at my friends I tell them exactly why I bought it :).

Seriously though, for me it's like a better XR driver. More distance and consistency.

I haven't had the chance to hit one yet but every time I walk past one in a sporting good store it keeps whispering buy me, buy me... I love the way this club looks at setup.

Back