Bridgestone

Thread: P790 - frustration

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

P790 - frustration

I have recently acquired a set of P790s wit the standard stiff graphite shafts. My previous irons were regular flex PSI.

Here's my problem: I was very consistent with the PSIs, hitting my 7 iron 175 and my 8 about 160-165. The 790 7i now goes about 185 carry, total distance of about 195-200. My 8i, however, has stayed in the 165-170 range. The 790s are definitely longer but now I have a huge gap at 180 yards.

I think my next step is to put the clubs on a loft/lie device to check that there is only a 4 degree difference in the clubs.

Anyone else see this?

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,570 Posts
    That would be how I tackle it first. Make sure lie is correct and then perform a gap test.

THP Events:
    2017 Wilson Staff Proto:#TeamMarketing
    2018 Ultimate Weekend of Golf sponsored by True Temper

Member of the 1 Iron Club BirdieBob's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    When I had my P790s, I had to add +2* to the 4 thru 7 irons!! Just too long with large gaps.
    The shorter irons were ok.

Egregious

Handicap
    Golf Clubs
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,046 Posts
    Have you had the lofts checked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    In my bag:
    Driver: GBB Epic SZ 9° Elements Chrome 7F5T
    3 Wood: Rogue Elements Platinum 8F5T
    2 Hybrid: Epic Recoil 95 F5
    Irons 4-AW: Apex Combo Custom Recoil Protos 110 F5
    Wedges: RTX-4 54° Mid & 58° Low Recoil Wedge Proto F5
    Putter: Toulon Stroke Lab San Diego 35”
    Ball: Z-Star
    Grips: Multi-Compound New Decade Red & Black

Proud Participant in the 2017 THP UST Mamiya Shaft Up #3 and The Shaft Up Finale

ULTIMATE GATHERING CHAMP

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26,593 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by e1iterate View Post
    Have you had the lofts checked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Beat me to the punch
    THE ULTIMATE UNOFFICIAL GATHERING IS BACK FOR 2019!!!

Check out the Official ULTIMATE GATHERING Thread located in the Golf Courses, Course Reviews, THP Events & Local Outings Section!!!

WITB:

Driver:
    G400 MAX 11.5*
    Woods: Rogue Heavenwood
    Hybrids: N/A

Irons:
    585 Irons 5-AW with Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap shafts
    Wedges: RTX4 54/58
    Putter: Custom
    Ball:
    Q-Star Tour

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mikedean441 For This Useful Post:

e1iterate (02-24-2018)

feelz good 2 b a Gsta

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10,514 Posts
    how does the rest of the set gap? does everything else gap properly instead of the 7i-to-8i transition?
    awesomeness
    perfection
    innovation
    excellence
    brilliance
    pioneering
    leading
    redefining

Humbled, honored, and beaming with excitement to be the Captain (what, CAPTAIN???) of Team THP in the 2019 Grandaddy with

Major Champion
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,871 Posts
    When you have the lofts checked make sure you compare it to the factory specs, lofts are all over the place in sets and the old 4* gapping between clubs isn't really the rule in modern clubs with new technology.
    ShaftUp #1 ‘17 and Grand Finale participant in 2017 and 2018
    2019 Distance Event with Golf on #TeamNoelle

Z785 9* driver
    F85 15* 3W
    H85 3h
    U85 4-6i
    Z785 7-PW
    RTX4 50/54/58 Mid Tour Raw
    TFI 2135 1.0

THP’er formerly known as so-illhacker

Major Champion
    Handicap
    GHIN 6.6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,120 Posts
    I have been working on trying to make a set of P790s work for me since they first came out. I am now 57 years and I am fighting to maintain my distances. I generally strike the ball more consistently with players’ cavities, but the look of the P790s have me transfixed and I want them in my bag if possible.

Here is what I have learned. The shaft is crucial, because the irons simply want to launch and this element of supreme launch creates the problem of gapping at some point through the set. However, it is possible to fix it, I hope and believe. As others have said, check the lofts. However, my additional suggestion is not just to check the lofts of individual irons, but go through the set on a launch monitor and get a baseline for each individual iron. Once you have a baseline, you are going to need to adjust each iron that does not gap properly and the fix will be to adjust the loft of each iron that does not gap relative to the set. You ultimately will have a set of irons that likely will not have lofts through the set that match TaylorMade’s standard specs, but you will be able to get them to gap if you do this.

Go look at the post I made yesterday on the P730 and P790 thread. I was practicing yesterday and put together a set of four shots with a seven iron. It was not a sample that I cherry picked. It was random. If you look at the numbers I posted, you will see that the iron was EXTREMELY consistent in dispersion, both distance and side to side. I strongly disagree that these irons have hot spots. I think that they are very forgiving and consistent for their profile. At least they are for my swing. I think I am getting them dialed in but it has taken time and a couple shaft changes. I now have them shafted with Steelfiber i110 stiffs, which is a little stiff for my swing speed, but I cannot argue with the numbers. If it translates to the course, I will have the best set of irons I have ever gamed.

Hope that helps. It is a summary of my extensive look at these irons. They won’t be for everybody, but they have some very unique qualities, that, if harnessed, could make them formidable tools.
    Tenputt

My Cobra, Morgan Cup bag:
    KING F9 SPEEDBACK Driver, 9*
    KING F9 SPEEDBACK 3-4, 14.5*
    KING F9 SPEEDBACK Tour 4-5, 17.5*
    KING F9 SPEEDBACK Irons, 4 - gw
    KING F9 Black Wedges, 54* and 60*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tenputt For This Useful Post:

noodle3872 (02-24-2018)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Thanks for the comments. I will get them checked out on a launch monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenputt View Post
    I have been working on trying to make a set of P790s work for me since they first came out. I am now 57 years and I am fighting to maintain my distances. I generally strike the ball more consistently with players’ cavities, but the look of the P790s have me transfixed and I want them in my bag if possible.

Here is what I have learned. The shaft is crucial, because the irons simply want to launch and this element of supreme launch creates the problem of gapping at some point through the set. However, it is possible to fix it, I hope and believe. As others have said, check the lofts. However, my additional suggestion is not just to check the lofts of individual irons, but go through the set on a launch monitor and get a baseline for each individual iron. Once you have a baseline, you are going to need to adjust each iron that does not gap properly and the fix will be to adjust the loft of each iron that does not gap relative to the set. You ultimately will have a set of irons that likely will not have lofts through the set that match TaylorMade’s standard specs, but you will be able to get them to gap if you do this.

Go look at the post I made yesterday on the P730 and P790 thread. I was practicing yesterday and put together a set of four shots with a seven iron. It was not a sample that I cherry picked. It was random. If you look at the numbers I posted, you will see that the iron was EXTREMELY consistent in dispersion, both distance and side to side. I strongly disagree that these irons have hot spots. I think that they are very forgiving and consistent for their profile. At least they are for my swing. I think I am getting them dialed in but it has taken time and a couple shaft changes. I now have them shafted with Steelfiber i110 stiffs, which is a little stiff for my swing speed, but I cannot argue with the numbers. If it translates to the course, I will have the best set of irons I have ever gamed.

Hope that helps. It is a summary of my extensive look at these irons. They won’t be for everybody, but they have some very unique qualities, that, if harnessed, could make them formidable tools.

Contestant in #THPSweep

Handicap
    The Clock
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15,476 Posts
    Agree. - check the lofts and specs out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    F9 Speedback Avalanche 10.5° Driver HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
    F9 Speedback Yellow 14.5° Fwy HZRDUS Red 75
    F9 Speedback Pink 18.5° Fwy HZRDUS Red 65