Favorite Competitive Round

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of types of competitions from THP Events to local fun with your friends or family. What is the round that brings back the memories and gets the competitive juices flowing just thinking about it?

Sunday singles against Wardy at the 2014 Morgan Cup. Was a fantastic match that fittingly ended AS.

• Admin
Sunday singles against Wardy at the 2014 Morgan Cup. Was a fantastic match that fittingly ended AS.

I remember an Ace
I remember a cart in neutral
Both brought dramatic emotions.

The semi-finals of a local match play tournament. I played well enough but the round was my favorite because I showed some mental toughness to overcome adversity and win a hard fought match.

I remember an Ace
I remember a cart in neutral
Both brought dramatic emotions.

LMAO. I thought about the cart when posting. I was in a zone so missed some of that but the stories I still hear are priceless.

First round of the Morgan Cup 2014. The buildup was intense and knowing the history of the event it was a memorable round.

Match play for my club championship 2 years ago, closed it out 9 & 8. I was just on fire that day.

From a pure competition standpoint, the second day of Hype stands out for me. I didn't have a swing all weekend, and it was an absolute grind coming in to get a ball in the hopper for the Grandaddy. I didn't play great golf, but I got the absolute most out of what I had.

The one that really gets me pumped up just thinking about it was myself/Nate Adelman against 441/Winchell and #TheCup. That was such a grind and seemed like it took a birdie/par to win holes and bogeys almost always lost holes.

A very close second was Sunday at The Gauntlet this year with myself/Awtry against Jim54/Seth Aikman, it was another back and forth with some solid scoring going on. The pretty dramatic finish on 18 was really cool too, for me anyway.

Last year me and my buddy shot 68 in 2 man best ball on the final day to win a local tourney. I played very well for me and shot a 78 on my own ball, but he went off and actually shot 68 on his own ball. I can remember every hole of that day. I would make the par and then he would make his birdie. Only hole that we used my score because it was better was a par 5 that I eagled. Went driver, 7i and stuck it to 3ft. People were pissed and called us all kinds names for our score and how well he played. Lucky for us our playing partners verified that I actually played well too. That is a round I will never forget, we just were intune that day.

Played in a GC Am Tour event this year and it was my first tournament in over 10 years. Started out terrible and finished strong. It was awesome playing competitive golf again.

About a month ago in my Club Championship. After playing very mediocre for 28 holes and just trying to not finish last in the 0 - 6 handicap flight, I suddenly caught fire and played the last 8 holes in -3 to take the net crown in the flight by a stroke. Had no idea where I stood at the time but was only 3 back entering the second round so I thought a net 69 would put me in the mix.

Love my clubs golf league and interclub tournament. Both are competitive, have heated rivalries and at the end of the round emotions are left on the course. New relationships and friendships are built.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I think mine is at The Morgan Cup this year. The event as a whole I wanted to win so badly because my buddy Puttin4bird was on the opposing team. I really didn't want to spend a 9 hour ride home listening to him if he had won .

In particular I wanted to win the first match of the event where it was Tomcat and I against P4b and jimbetts. P4b has kicked my butt around at our home course and I didn't want that to happen there.

This is easy to answer, me and lightningbolt winning the horse race at my member guest $$$$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one that really gets me pumped up just thinking about it was myself/Nate Adelman against 441/Winchell and #TheCup. That was such a grind and seemed like it took a birdie/par to win holes and bogeys almost always lost holes.

A very close second was Sunday at The Gauntlet this year with myself/Awtry against Jim54/Seth Aikman, it was another back and forth with some solid scoring going on. The pretty dramatic finish on 18 was really cool too, for me anyway.
Definitely a back and forth grind

In a THP event, for me it has to be Sunday singles in 2012 MC 2.0 with Arydolphin and One-T. Many laughs all around, and Doc's parents followed us the whole round and were such a fun couple. Going good-good-good from the bunker on one hole was pretty funny since it was a hole we all effed up pretty badly.

A strong runner up was the KC event at Prairie Highlands with LSMO. We got waxed, but I found a great golfing partner out of the event.

From a pure competition standpoint, the second day of Hype stands out for me. I didn't have a swing all weekend, and it was an absolute grind coming in to get a ball in the hopper for the Grandaddy. I didn't play great golf, but I got the absolute most out of what I had.
That was the definition of grinding, well done. I'd have to second this round. I stunk up the joint on day one and needed to play some decent golf to get my name in the hopper. Played a solid front 9, maintained through middle holes and held on at the end to get my name in the hopper. I equate it to a pitcher that goes out and doesn't have his best stuff, work with what you got and never give up.

My Grandaddy singles match against Hashtag Chad is one I still think about pretty much every day. I get reminded of how lucky I was every morning when i wake up and above my dresser is a nice pic collage my wife put together of my trip to Cali

Day 1 of The Grandaddy last year. Getting to see The Hideaway for the first time with perfect weather, and getting all of our brand new custom fit clubs and using them for the first time. Cwmonroe and I against Yo AJ and Ethan for 18, and then Ashman and I against DNevs and AJ for the final 9. A day I'll always remember.

My Grandaddy matches with DNevs. He bested me on the singles, but during our team play and during singles I rented space in his head and had him sideways for a bit, but my game wasn't quite sharp enough to take the singles W. THat was a fun competitive two days.

Back