Callaway Diablo Octane Driver

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
Does anyone in here still use a Callaway Diablo Octane Driver? I just acquired one with a 9.5 loft and has a Project X 6.0 S shaft and was wondering if this club has good ratings by today's standards

I played this one for a few years, and my dad has it in the bag now. It's a great club, but old enough where I think there's a lot to gain by going to a more modern driver.

If it fits your swing well enough I don’t see why you couldn’t keep up with newer clubs.
Some newer tech in drivers might help with spin and forgiveness in terms of ball speed retention though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it fits your swing well enough I don’t see why you couldn’t keep up with newer clubs.
Some newer tech in drivers might help with spin and forgiveness in terms of ball speed retention though.

Spin was the one area I can think of that really makes a difference in the newer clubs. I've got the "spiritual successor" to this one in the XR16, and it's significantly lower spin so you can get more launch without worrying about excessive spin in that line.

I know we are talking about the driver but Stenson bombs that diablo octane tour 3 wood

My dad still plays one. He isn’t good enough to worry about any type of performance numbers, only plays a few times per year. It seems to work for him though.

I did a bit of reading on the Callaway Diablo Octane Driver, and other than the head composite the manufacturer decided to go with a longer shaft on this club because longer shafts produce more power which equals more distance

I still have one laying around that I used not too long ago in my "Florida bag" and I was absolutely smashing it.

I still have one laying around that I used not too long ago in my "Florida bag" and I was absolutely smashing it.

I take it your Epic is working even better for you

I played this one for a few years, and my dad has it in the bag now. It's a great club, but old enough where I think there's a lot to gain by going to a more modern driver.

I agree. I gamed one for some time, but there are much better options since then from Callaway.

After graduating from a Callaway Junior set, my Son's first driver was a Diablo Octane. It was 12.5° loft with a 'W' flex shaft. It didn't look like a womens club.
It has a real nice Spanish style pinstripe design all over the shaft.
For a 10 year old he was killing it. About 190 yards.
We also bought him a matching 4 wood. He hit it about 160 yards.
They are super easy to hit. You just swing full and easy and the ball flies.
We tried to get my Father-in-law to use them ( he's 77 years old), but he won't hit anything that is a womens club or flex.

I did a bit of reading on the Callaway Diablo Octane Driver, and other than the head composite the manufacturer decided to go with a longer shaft on this club because longer shafts produce more power which equals more distance

But the problem arises that longer shafts usually produce more inconsistency. Many cut their drivers down to 44.5-45 inches.

But the problem arises that longer shafts usually produce more inconsistency. Many cut their drivers down to 44.5-45 inches.

Yes, true. Maybe I can take and have it cut down a bit while making sure the weight is still properly balanced

That is every new driver ever now days. Very few if any PGA players actually play it at 45.5 inches but they have lots of swing speed. Play the longest shaft you can find the center of the face with.

Back